Rooster looking pale and not eating

chickenLittle2002

In the Brooder
May 4, 2024
Hello all, I have a young rooster named Peso Pluma who was recently attacked by a dog. No serious injuries, only a couple of scratches. He was doing ok but recently the other chickens started to bully him. We have separated him and have him in his own section. Now he is not eating and just sleeps all day. The only way he eats is if I sit next to him and when he is inside the house. We take him out daily but he seems to not want to go out any more. He has lost a lot of weight and doesn't sing in the mornings anymore. I feel like I will soon have to resort to force feeding which I haven't had to do before. I am not sure what to do and Ive called vets around my area but none take chickens. Any advice is welcomed, I love him very much, please help

Hi, welcome to BYC. I'm sorry this happened. Check him thoroughly all over, especially under his wings. Feathers can hide injuries. Smell him real good, a bad smell means infection. Check his vent. He may have an injury you've missed and now has flystrike (maggots). The other chickens know something is wrong and he's declining because an injury is getting worse. Can you post a picture of him? Have his comb and wattles become pale? Don't force feed, it's easy for that to go very wrong if you don't know what you're doing. Have you offered special high-value foods like scrambled egg, tuna, cat food? You might try soaking his regular food in water to make a mash. Cottage cheese, plain yogurt... is he drinking? Can you get Rooster Booster or anything like that to supplement his water with vitamins? Pedialyte will also do if he'll drink that. Don't give him vinegar water.

Hello all, I have a young rooster named Peso Pluma who was recently attacked by a dog. No serious injuries, only a couple of scratches. He was doing ok but recently the other chickens started to bully him. We have separated him and have him in his own section. Now he is not eating and just sleeps all day. The only way he eats is if I sit next to him and when he is inside the house. We take him out daily but he seems to not want to go out any more. He has lost a lot of weight and doesn't sing in the mornings anymore. I feel like I will soon have to resort to force feeding which I haven't had to do before. I am not sure what to do and Ive called vets around my area but none take chickens. Any advice is welcomed, I love him very much, please help
Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of your cockerel and his poop?

How old is he?
What do you feed, including treats?

No serious injuries from the attack, but did he have open wounds? How long ago did this happen?

If necessary, tube or syringe feed him, but see if you can encourage him to eat on his own.

I see in your introduction that you have 3 roosters and 3 hens - I assume he's one of the "roosters"? Often there's competition with this ratio - number of males to females and being attacked would be common. It may be that your youngster is a little depressed since the others attacked him when you tried to put him back - he lost vigor. Sometimes it's hard to overcome this.

Give electrolytes and I'd also start him on B-Complex, 1/4 tablet daily.

Back
Top Bottom