Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Question for Shadrach.
I have lost Jaffar. But before he passed, I received 6 chicks šŸ„ as a gift from my church pastor. Now the big chooks are fighting with each other. They havenā€™t done that for 2 years. Sadly the little ones bonded to Jaffar and also miss him. The question is, should I get another grown up rooster for the family, or should I just wait until I can tell if one of my little ones is a boy? :idunno The loss of my rooster has made my whole town feel sad, just FYI.

Question for Shadrach.
Sad to read Jaffa has died.
I can only write what I would do, not really knowing your keeping arrangements. I would let the chicks grow up and see what you get. Some of the hens are likely to have formed some attatchment to Jaffa is a consideration and they may not take well to the sudden arrival of another mature male. It would be better to have an adult rooster for the chicks upbringing but by no means vital. I've seen top hen and an auntie do a very good job of raising chicks right into adulthood.
At least if you let the chicks grow up in the group the chances of fewer social problems are better than introductions from outside the group. Hens do fight and one of them is going to be Jaffa's replacement for a while. This is something they need to sort out, not a human.

Not a great start to the afternoon. One bee keeper is apparently temporarily disabled and cant get hold of the other.
P5030695.JPG

Three hours today. It didn't rain. Got Fret off her nest again. She seems to be eating enough judging by the rather stinky pile she dumped while she was eating. No wonder she headed off for a drink.:hmm
It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow; 15C no less.:th
P5030696.JPG
P5030697.JPG

Henry doing nesting stuff again. Mow and Carbon just look at him like he's lost the plot.
P5030698.JPG

P5030699.JPG
P5030700.JPG
P5030701.JPG

Sad to read Jaffa has died.
I can only write what I would do, not really knowing your keeping arrangements. I would let the chicks grow up and see what you get. Some of the hens are likely to have formed some attatchment to Jaffa is a consideration and they may not take well to the sudden arrival of another mature male. It would be better to have an adult rooster for the chicks upbringing but by no means vital. I've seen top hen and an auntie do a very good job of raising chicks right into adulthood.
At least if you let the chicks grow up in the group the chances of fewer social problems are better than introductions from outside the group. Hens do fight and one of them is going to be Jaffa's replacement for a while. This is something they need to sort out, not a human.
Thank you for the advice. I do appreciate it. The chicks grow up so fast anyways. Iā€™m not a patient man, but the chooks deserve a chance.

Back
Top Bottom