Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
Ideas for SHAKE STYLE SHINGLES AND SIDING....

:caf It's been raining since last night, so I've had a little time to watch some YouTube videos and get some new ideas. Recently, we had thoughts and pics on chicken coops, pig palaces, sheds, goat houses, etc... I was thinking to myself, is there a way to use pallet wood instead of having to buy siding or shingles if you wanted to give your build a different look. I think I found what I was looking for and will pass on a few short videos...

This first video is of a guy building a chicken coop using cedar shingles as siding for his coop. Love the look, but as he states, cedar is expensive. First, please take a quick look at his video and chicken coop build.... then I post some videos on using pallet wood shingles instead of expensive cedar shingles.

Now that you have an idea of what your (pallet) building could look like with shake style siding, check out this video on how to make pallet shingles that you can use as either or both siding or roof shingles...

What I liked about this method is that you only need the pallet pieces to be 12-14 inches long. Which means if you break down the pallet, you just have to use the circular saw to cut off the planks between the 2X4 stretchers. He only cuts off one side, and then pulls up the other side, along with the nails. He says that is faster. I think I might just cut off both ends instead of prying the one end with nails off the 2X4. But, he is young and I'm sure man handling the wood and ripping it off, nails and all, is no problem for him. I'm a little older, so I think I'd just cut off both ends of the planks from the start.

Part 2 of his instructional is on how to install pallet shingles...

If you made it this far, I would like to point out that in video Part 2 of installing the pallet wood shingles he shows you how to cut the corner pieces of the pallet shingles so that you do not need to use trim boards.

I actually like the looks of both methods. Based on my prior experience, it would be faster to use the trim boards and put up uncut pallet shingles than having to custom cut each corner pallet shingle to make it fit. But, I imagine that you would get a system to custom cut each corner shingle and that process might be able to be duplicated from the initial measure and cut - all the remaining corner pallet shingles could be cut the same.

OK, free pallet wood might not be as good looking as expensive cedar, but a person could finish off the pallet shingles with a cedar colored paint or stain and do a pretty good job faking it. Plus, the paint or stain would add years of life to the wood.

In the end, I thought using pallet shingles for siding might be a good way to cover the outside of a pallet shed, coop, or other building instead of buying siding. None of my pallet projects to date have needed outside siding, but I am thinking of building a small pallet shed, which I would want to keep dry inside, and using pallet shingles like this is truly an option for me to consider. A pallet shed is on my long list, but having this option available for the build is now in my back pocket.

Last edited:
A little more done this morning while the 4 minors attacked their school assignments.

Minor 11 made the sign

The galvanized corner is not attached but all corners will look like so...

:lau Oh man, do I love that sign. Goat standing on top of a car. Classic. Believe it or not, when I was stationed in Naples, Italy, our landlord had a goat because their grandchild could not drink cow's milk. Always fun to see the goat running around in the fenced in yard. One day the goat was gone, so I asked the landlord what happened to the goat. Turns out the goat jumped the fence and then decided to jump up on his new car, scratching it all to heck. End of goat. End of story.

A big :thumbsup to minor 11 on making the sign.

1661394472288.png

Ideas for SHAKE STYLE SHINGLES AND SIDING....

:caf It's been raining since last night, so I've had a little time to watch some YouTube videos and get some new ideas. Recently, we had thoughts and pics on chicken coops, pig palaces, sheds, goat houses, etc... I was thinking to myself, is there a way to use pallet wood instead of having to buy siding or shingles if you wanted to give your build a different look. I think I found what I was looking for and will pass on a few short videos...

This first video is of a guy building a chicken coop using cedar shingles as siding for his coop. Love the look, but as he states, cedar is expensive. First, please take a quick look at his video and chicken coop build.... then I post some videos on using pallet wood shingles instead of expensive cedar shingles.

Now that you have an idea of what your (pallet) building could look like with shake style siding, check out this video on how to make pallet shingles that you can use as either or both siding or roof shingles...

What I liked about this method is that you only need the pallet pieces to be 12-14 inches long. Which means if you break down the pallet, you just have to use the circular saw to cut off the planks between the 2X4 stretchers. He only cuts off one side, and then pulls up the other side, along with the nails. He says that is faster. I think I might just cut off both ends instead of prying the one end with nails off the 2X4. But, he is young and I'm sure man handling the wood and ripping it off, nails and all, is no problem for him. I'm a little older, so I think I'd just cut off both ends of the planks from the start.

Part 2 of his instructional is on how to install pallet shingles...

If you made it this far, I would like to point out that in video Part 2 of installing the pallet wood shingles he shows you how to cut the corner pieces of the pallet shingles so that you do not need to use trim boards.

I actually like the looks of both methods. Based on my prior experience, it would be faster to use the trim boards and put up uncut pallet shingles than having to custom cut each corner pallet shingle to make it fit. But, I imagine that you would get a system to custom cut each corner shingle and that process might be able to be duplicated from the initial measure and cut - all the remaining corner pallet shingles could be cut the same.

OK, free pallet wood might not be as good looking as expensive cedar, but a person could finish off the pallet shingles with a cedar colored paint or stain and do a pretty good job faking it. Plus, the paint or stain would add years of life to the wood.

In the end, I thought using pallet shingles for siding might be a good way to cover the outside of a pallet shed, coop, or other building instead of buying siding. None of my pallet projects to date have needed outside siding, but I am thinking of building a small pallet shed, which I would want to keep dry inside, and using pallet shingles like this is truly an option for me to consider. A pallet shed is on my long list, but having this option available for the build is now in my back pocket.
I really enjoyed that! Absolutely agree that cutting both ends sounds better. Adding it to my doghouse thoughts to percolate until I have free time.

I just finished fixing my old spare pen for a few little call ducks. I removed the old little coop that was made of pallets a while back and reused whatever I could as siding to tidy up the walls. It's ugly but functional. Think I posted pics of the outside before...here's the inside.
20220823_112256.jpg
20220823_112320.jpg

All the pallets are the original ones I used ten years ago and the added boards are all from the equally old coop I tore apart. I ended up using a couple pretty bad boards that should be tossed, but I'll replace those later when I have time to make a pallet run for new wood. There's a chain link fence and wire on the other side of the pallets, so those boards aren't needed for safety.

I also reused a few of the boards as trim on my whatevers needed extra pens. I painted these because there's osb on it. I probably should have waited for new wood...but I wanted them done now and i have such a huge to do list before I leave for a month. So I did it with what I have. I know they'll hold up for quite a while still and it's in an area protected by my dogs so we never get predators there.
20220821_124533.jpg

Again...not pretty, but functional.

I can't wait to see if I can build something pretty!

I really enjoyed that [pallet wood shake shingles videos]! Absolutely agree that cutting both ends sounds better. Adding it to my doghouse thoughts to percolate until I have free time.

Yeah, that shake style really caught my eye. I don't have a pallet project in progress that I will use the shake shingles, but I'm keeping that idea handy if/when I build a pallet shed.

I just finished fixing my old spare pen for a few little call ducks. I removed the old little coop that was made of pallets a while back and reused whatever I could as siding to tidy up the walls.

I'm all into reusing and reclaiming wood. Especially given the price of wood post-COVID. It still has not come down to "normal" pricing.

It's ugly but functional.

:lau ...said Dear Wife describing me to a friend of hers.

More seriously, I always first try to make a pallet project that is functional. If I can make it better looking along the way, even better, but not required.

I ended up using a couple pretty bad boards that should be tossed, but I'll replace those later when I have time to make a pallet run for new wood.

Absolutely. All the pallet projects I have made can be repaired or replaced with better/new pallet boards in the future if needed.

So I did it with what I have.

That's the spirit. Don't let the perfect get in the way of the possible. I like a quote I heard on one of Justin Rhodes YouTube videos,

“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.”​

I thought Justin had made up that quote, but an internet search gives the credit to Boyd K. Packer. No idea who that is, but I like the quote.

:old I'll admit, however, that although I am pretty good about the first 3 things, at my stage in life, if I have the money, I won't do without and will buy a replacement if necessary.

I can't wait to see if I can build something pretty!

I uploaded those pallet wood shake shingles videos because I thought I really liked the looks of the shake siding. And, it's something that I could see me doing in the future. I bet those pallet shingles would last many years, and probably not too hard to replace any board(s) that might go bad.

OK, I'm not into making things pretty per se, but I thought your flowers on the pallet walls really brightened up the place. I know when I first saw your pics, my eyes were drawn to the flowers on the wall. So, if pretty is what you are after, then mission accomplished. Dear Wife does all the flower gardens around our house, and I'm man enough to say that I too enjoy them.

1661403406763.png

Thanks for the pics. Love them.

Turns out the goat jumped the fence and then decided to jump up on his new car, scratching it all to heck. End of goat. End of story
Ooohhh nooo!! Lol I hoping by keeping them in the back of the house it'll be awhile before they discover the vehicles 🤣🤣🤣🤣

A big :thumbsup to minor 11 on making the sign.
Thanks! He's pretty happy with it and I LOVE it!!!

All the minors have helped in the goat garage project...
I have 14, 11(almost 12), 9, and 7 I've just been unable to capture pics...sigh

Another overcast/wet day today, so I've been in the garage cleaning. :tongue I hate cleaning. :tongue:tongue But I do enjoy working in a clean garage. So, I have been cleaning up in the garage, organizing my tools better, and making small steps towards a better workplace.

On a more positive note, I was able to empty out my mobile pallet wood storage bin to hold pallet wood. Turned the cart over and screwed in those bottom boards so they won't break through from the weight. Before, I just had 18 gauge brad nails holding the boards in place - I forgot to screw them in before I filled the cart! Surprisingly, only one board came undone. But all got screwed in this morning.

This time I only kept my best pallet wood pieces for the cart. I packed it as full as I could, and I still have more pallet wood without a home yet. All that wood really gets heavy, and I'm very glad that I added those wheels to the cart. No way could I move it without wheels.

For those of you who may have missed that mobile cart posts, here is a pic of what I built...

1661437675453.jpeg

I kind of made a promise to myself that once I filled the cart, I would have to use up the wood on a pallet build project before I broke down any more pallets. I have started cutting wood to make another raised bed, and that should use up some of the good pallet wood in the cart. Just waiting for it to stop raining so I can set up my chop saw and tools outside. :idunno

Also, facing an issue of what to do with all my pallet wood rejects, bits and pieces. After going to all the trouble to breakdown the pallets, I have a small cart full of broken and cracked boards, cut off small pieces, etc... I tend to keep everything, for too long, and I know I should be better at getting rid of some things. However, it never seems to fail me, that a week or so after I junk something that I was holding on to for a few years, it would have been the perfect piece for that project. Never fails. Nothing worse to me than cutting of 5 inches of a 4 foot board when I know I should have kept those scraps.

Wondering what you other people do with your rejects, bits and pieces from these pallet projects. Do you keep them? Use them? Store them until they compost?

If I had a wood stove for heating, that would make the decision easier for me. Good use to heat the house with those scraps. Currently, the only thing I got going on is that I'm burning out a stump, so that's the best use of the wood I can't use for anything else. Maybe someone can suggest better uses for those bits and pieces? Let me know. Thanks.

Another overcast/wet day today, so I've been in the garage cleaning. :tongue I hate cleaning. :tongue:tongue But I do enjoy working in a clean garage. So, I have been cleaning up in the garage, organizing my tools better, and making small steps towards a better workplace.

On a more positive note, I was able to empty out my mobile pallet wood storage bin to hold pallet wood. Turned the cart over and screwed in those bottom boards so they won't break through from the weight. Before, I just had 18 gauge brad nails holding the boards in place - I forgot to screw them in before I filled the cart! Surprisingly, only one board came undone. But all got screwed in this morning.

This time I only kept my best pallet wood pieces for the cart. I packed it as full as I could, and I still have more pallet wood without a home yet. All that wood really gets heavy, and I'm very glad that I added those wheels to the cart. No way could I move it without wheels.

For those of you who may have missed that mobile cart posts, here is a pic of what I built...

View attachment 3235382

I kind of made a promise to myself that once I filled the cart, I would have to use up the wood on a pallet build project before I broke down any more pallets. I have started cutting wood to make another raised bed, and that should use up some of the good pallet wood in the cart. Just waiting for it to stop raining so I can set up my chop saw and tools outside. :idunno

Also, facing an issue of what to do with all my pallet wood rejects, bits and pieces. After going to all the trouble to breakdown the pallets, I have a small cart full of broken and cracked boards, cut off small pieces, etc... I tend to keep everything, for too long, and I know I should be better at getting rid of some things. However, it never seems to fail me, that a week or so after I junk something that I was holding on to for a few years, it would have been the perfect piece for that project. Never fails. Nothing worse to me than cutting of 5 inches of a 4 foot board when I know I should have kept those scraps.

Wondering what you other people do with your rejects, bits and pieces from these pallet projects. Do you keep them? Use them? Store them until they compost?

If I had a wood stove for heating, that would make the decision easier for me. Good use to heat the house with those scraps. Currently, the only thing I got going on is that I'm burning out a stump, so that's the best use of the wood I can't use for anything else. Maybe someone can suggest better uses for those bits and pieces? Let me know. Thanks.
Glad I'm not the only one that hates cleaning and sometimes regrets tossing things! 🤣

I have a fire pit in my backyard and love to go camping, so always used up my scraps that way. But my kids are grown or almost grown so not sure if that fire pit will get much use anymore, and I had a bad break in my foot that's kept me from camping for over two years now.
I currently have a scrap pile growing and have been debating what to do with them. I'm thinking of trying them as mulch under some bushes. I didn't know about that MF? and HT stuff and there's no way to tell now which those old pallets were. Hopefully HT because we burnt the original scraps! At any rate, if I use them as mulch under these bushes, they won't show, they'll be helpful, and there's nothing edible growing anywhere near just in case any were MF.

Glad I'm not the only one that hates cleaning and sometimes regrets tossing things! 🤣

I suspect our club is bigger than we might think!

I had a bad break in my foot that's kept me from camping for over two years now.

Sorry to hear that. Injuries can have long term effects on a person's life.

I currently have a scrap pile growing and have been debating what to do with them. I'm thinking of trying them as mulch under some bushes. I didn't know about that MF? and HT stuff and there's no way to tell now which those old pallets were. Hopefully HT because we burnt the original scraps! At any rate, if I use them as mulch under these bushes, they won't show, they'll be helpful, and there's nothing edible growing anywhere near just in case any were MF.

I don't know what you mean by MF pallets. Are you maybe referring to
  • MB: Methyl Bromide
stamped pallets? Those MB pallets are supposed to be bad for everything living. In fact, I don't think you are even supposed to handle them without gloves. You are not supposed to cut them with a saw. And you certainly don't want to burn them and release the chemicals in the air.

FWIW, all the pallets I have been getting have been stamped HT: Heat Treated, which are supposed to be environmentally friendly and safe to use in all applications. I have not seen any MB pallets around here where I live. I think/hope those MB pallets have been banned because I have heard nothing but bad things about them.

Back
Top Bottom