Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
I know. My grandpa lived through the Great Depression and never threw anything out that had the smallest chance of being reused. Over the years, I have turned into my grandpa, too!
My husband (me 36 him 17.5yrs my senior at 52 ) is very very much like this...drives me nuts in a home with no storage....

Alas, I think I feel a few more pallet projects coming my way 😆

I prefer screws to nails, but I do use an occasional nail.

Well, me too. With cordless drills, using screws has become a lot more convenient. And, if you need to take something apart or replace it, screws are easier to work with.

Nails in nail guns are a very fast way to fasten those pallets together. Even with many of my current builds, I use a 18 gauge brad nailer because it is so fast and easy.

I recently got a combo stapler/brad nailer pneumatic gun from harbor freight. Hope to make some pallet bins and totes with the staples this spring.

I don't often hammer in a nail these days, but the idea of reusing pallet nails on a pallet project is just something I think I might try - at least once. Just to brag that I did a project using 100% recycled/reclaimed wood and nails.

My husband (me 36 him 17.5yrs my senior at 52 ) is very very much like this...drives me nuts in a home with no storage....

Alas, I think I feel a few more pallet projects coming my way 😆

:old I have become more "hoarding" as I got older. But I have lots of storage, yet, never enough at the same time.... :idunno 🤔

Please share those pallet projects that are in your future. Would love to see what you are doing.

Nothing but cold wind blowing and snow falling today and for most of this week. So, I decided to take my bucket of pallet wood nails and screws and started to sort them out.

This is some of my first sorting effort. I went through all the pallet nails and screws and kept anything I thought might be reused. The dead nails and screws got thrown into a bin for use maybe later this year as wood stain. By dead, I mean the nails had stripped or no heads, and the screws had to be broken or the top slot had to be damaged beyond working again.

I filled up one of my storage cases on this first sort, and have a big plastic jar full of nails to fill another case half full or more.

1671515514190.png

To my surprise, on this first sort, I only tossed out maybe 2% of my bucket nails and screws. I thought it would have been more. I estimate that maybe 35% of my remaining nails and screws can be used as is. The other 65% will have to be straightened out with a hammer. But I expect most of them can be reclaimed with some effort.

:caf I have a few other sorting sessions planned. My next effort might be separating the nails and screws that can be used "as is" from those that need to be straightened out. Another session might be sorting out by size. Nice to have all those separate bins when it comes to size sorting.

I do have another storage case like this so it would be good to start filling that up with those nails and screws I can use as they are. Some of those nails are like new and the screws are already in good shape.

When you are basically snowed in for awhile, you have time to think about these things. I'd rather be building, but prep work now might pay off this spring when I can get back to making some pallet projects. Still plan on making a pallet project(s) using 100% reclaimed wood and hardware. That's why I am saving these pallet nails and screws I pulled this past summer.

:tongue Anyways, we are expecting a 3-4 day cold snap with possible blizzard warnings. Not much else to talk about. Later...

Christmas came early for you, I guess!
All that worry abt hardwire cloth. My hubby bought me all I need for the rest of my chicken chalet for Christmas!!!! He is the absolute best, I tell ya!!! (100ft at 4ft tall and 50ft at 2ft tall!)

The Chicken Chalet is progressing slowly lol. I've found a layout I like, and have been wall papering it as I get feed bags. I have outsourced to the one person at work I know who has chickens and other animals asking for feed bags, so they've brought in some and I am hitting up anyone with large dog food or cat food bags lol.

I have enough room in the Chalet to bring in a "brooder box" if I end up with a broody hen at some point. I am loving how it is turning out. I need to paint the nesting boxes still...

Side note: I am planning on using this wood hardener on all the pallet ends touching the ground as a preventative in hopes of keeping them strong throughout many yrs.

It is absorbed by the wood and dries forming a bond between the wood and the epoxy i believe (its essentially a watered down epoxy, I think...I did read abt it lol) it's like a rubbery substances that binds the wood internally and also prevents further rot, or future rot and its water proof.

Attachments

• 20221217_174133.jpg
    20221217_174133.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221220_103421.jpg
    20221220_103421.jpg
    872.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20221216_035708_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221216_035708_Chrome.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 4
Side note: I am planning on using this wood hardener on all the pallet ends touching the ground as a preventative in hopes of keeping them strong throughout many yrs.

:thumbsup Sounds like a good plan. Any wood touching the ground should be treated with something so it does not act like a wick and soak up all that moisture from the ground. I am not familiar with the product you posted, so I'll have to check it out.

My coop is elevated. I build it on an old boat trailer. So, nothing touches the ground on my coop. Your idea never even occurred to me.

Also, I have built sheds and additions in the past. But I have always used cinder blocks on the foundation to get everything level, and then the bottom of the structure was always up off the ground, too. Again, this issue never came up. But I'll have to keep your solution in mind if I build something directly on the ground.

All that worry abt hardwire cloth. My hubby bought me all I need for the rest of my chicken chalet for Christmas!!!! He is the absolute best, I tell ya!!! (100ft at 4ft tall and 50ft at 2ft tall!)

Sounds like your husband is fully backing your enterprise. Good to have so much support from the minors and the Major! :lau

The Chicken Chalet is progressing slowly lol. I've found a layout I like, and have been wall papering it as I get feed bags. I have outsourced to the one person at work I know who has chickens and other animals asking for feed bags, so they've brought in some and I am hitting up anyone with large dog food or cat food bags lol.

I have so many empty feed bags stored in an outside shed that I would be more than willing to donate some to a good cause like yours. After you get your coop wall papered with the bags, you can just start over again with another layer if you want. Or just save a few bags in case you have any rips or tears to repair.

:fl I hope to find a use for my empty feed bags some day.

Back
Top Bottom