Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
Yeah, it takes a lot of water for peat moss to get damp. I tried wetting it down before mixing, and that made a mess. Well, mixing up dirt/soil/compost is messy anyway, right? :)

The peat moss I had was in compressed bricks, so, it had to be soaked in water before it loosened up and was able to be mixed with the other potting soil ingredients. The vermiculite I used was very dusty, so the damp/wet peat moss actually helped keep the dust down.

⚠️ When working with dry vermiculite, I strongly recommend using a face mask so you don't breathe in the small fibers that can damage your lungs!

The peat moss I had was in compressed bricks
Ah! I've only seen it in big bales wrapped in plastic, much like the pine shavings I get at TSC. It is somewhat compressed, but it fluffs up quickly.

I second the warning for dust masks when mixing your own potting soil. I didn't have one, and I stopped about 5 minutes into it because the dust was getting really bad.

Think the pallet wood trays would look a lot better. I'd love to make two exactly the same size as my shelves...about 4' long. But I'd need them to be totally water proof to really be happy with them and I'm not sure how to do that.

You could probably just get a thick contractor grade garbage bag, cut it at the seems to lay it flat, then line the pallet trays with the thick plastic. Basically, just making a plastic liner to put in a wooden tray.

I second the warning for dust masks when mixing your own potting soil. I didn't have one, and I stopped about 5 minutes into it because the dust was getting really bad.

Yep, don't breathe in that potting mix dust. I don't have any problems with filling my raised beds with top soil and chicken run compost mixed 1:1. That stuff is not dusty. I still have some vermiculite left for potting soil, but after that is gone, I'll probably just use the top soil and chicken run compost mix from that point on.

Since we are talking about seed starting... here are some pictures of seed starting racks that could be made out of pallet wood.

R.1b88ba993d19bc96d5fc3e6fbac936b8

R.2a9e31cdd0f04f9cf1eb38cd595dcf9a

And some pallet wood trays for the seed starting rack.

f73656feb7f5b33a3276edbb1b84d888.jpg

I guess you could make your own with some free pallet wood, or pay $300+ for the kits from Etsy, etc... You know what I would do.

I love watering from below where I can. Think the pallet wood trays would look a lot better. I'd love to make two exactly the same size as my shelves...about 4' long. But I'd need them to be totally water proof to really be happy with them and I'm not sure how to do that.

Here is another idea that would be easy to do....

08bbb079bc94b915a994cab5f79a6b43.jpg

Just save up some of those food storage things that have a waterproof bottom and/or top and then you can use them as to water from below. Added advantage is that each tray would easier to move around than a 4 foot long bin.

If you wanted just to water the 4 foot bin, then maybe the liner idea to make the bin waterproof, and then use something like these food containers with holes or slits in them so it would wick up the water.

:idunnoI like the idea of watering from below, but I think you have to be sure that you don't let the pots sit in water. That would saturate the soil and drown the seeds/plants.

I have a couple "plant" uses for those plastic clamshells or boxes that produce come in. I've used them as small trays to hold TP pots -- put them in nice and close to hold each other up. I have several of them in the green house right now. I put them on top of the pots to act as a mini green house in green house. They help hold in heat. (Green house is not heated, except by passive solar heat.)

We were down in the single digits during the Christmas blizzard. My lone spinach plant came through that just fine.

Here is another idea that would be easy to do....

08bbb079bc94b915a994cab5f79a6b43.jpg

Just save up some of those food storage things that have a waterproof bottom and/or top and then you can use them as to water from below. Added advantage is that each tray would easier to move around than a 4 foot long bin.

If you wanted just to water the 4 foot bin, then maybe the liner idea to make the bin waterproof, and then use something like these food containers with holes or slits in them so it would wick up the water.

:idunnoI like the idea of watering from below, but I think you have to be sure that you don't let the pots sit in water. That would saturate the soil and drown the seeds/plants.
I've watered that way for so long that the right amount is automatic...lol. I reuse the plastic containers like that in my greenhouse too. They're so useful for all kindsa things.

My thoughts was one full length tray would give me just a tad more space. Could fit three more rows of pots in the space taken by tray edges. I'd love it to look more attractive then my plastic trays too. I only wish for more space occasionally though and they'd be harder to keep clean so maybe not.

...My thoughts was one full length tray would give me just a tad more space. Could fit three more rows of pots in the space taken by tray edges...
I use these. Two would about fit your shelves, hanging over just a little. They are 18x26.

They are about a inch deep. That is enough to water from the bottom efficiently as long as the pots aren't hung up on each other.

They fit through doors. They aren't too heavy to move with anything less than 3" or maybe 4" pots. They stack well for the off season. They come in fiberglass or aluminum.

They are the shelves that fit into what uline calls pan racks. You should be able to find them new or used. We might have some extra.

Attachments

• 2AC1A012-B665-4FFD-B456-C9D18413E15F.jpeg
    2AC1A012-B665-4FFD-B456-C9D18413E15F.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom