Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
TOOL UPDATE: I've been down with a bad winter cold for about 2 weeks. Hit me pretty hard. Going out to the backyard to feed the chickens was more than I could handle. Anyways, I went into town for shopping first time since mid-December. Found a great Post-Christmas clearance deal at Home Depot on a Ryobi 6 tool kit and used additional discounts to make the deal even sweeter. If you are interested in the whole story, check out my Ryobi kit clearance deal. Here is what the kit includes....

6890462d-a710-47fd-9e4e-20f883bbfd07_1.670e42497b95aac8c81924093584adc1.jpeg

More tools to make more pallet projects. Saving money where I can and picking up the deals when available....

:old Not to be too melodramatic, but at my age, when you get pretty sick you might just be a bit more thankful when you turn the corner and get better. With people passing away from COVID, flu, etc... at my age or younger, I don't take anything for granted. Dear Wife was sick, too. So, we suffered together with about a week overlap. Had to postpone our Christmas dinner for 5 days before I could eat anything but soup.

👼👼👼👼 Speaking of loss, our town of about 13,000 had 4 children, younger than 4 years old, die of RSV at the hospital in the past few weeks. For us, that is a tragedy. I guess we need to love those close to us like tomorrow might not come.

Well, hate to leave on a down note, but like I told you guys, I don't have a heated garage so about all I can do is plan for projects in the spring. I have been buying a few new tools which I hope to put to good use later this spring/summer. Just trying to get through the next few months of winter. Hope you guys in warmer climates are out and about and building stuff. Later...

glad to hear you both feel better. honestly I would not mind to eat your wife's delicious soups for the rest of my life, lol.

Thanks for the well wishes. We usually suffer though one bad winter cold every year, but this year was a bit harder than most. But I hope we are good now and just looking forward to spring when it gets here.

As for the tools, I bought into the Ryobi line about 18 years ago and it is really nice that my old tools work just fine with the newest batteries. That's value to me on my limited DIY budget.
I love Milwaukee best but Ryobi's my second pick and what I tend to buy. They're a better value for my needs.

I love Milwaukee best but Ryobi's my second pick and what I tend to buy. They're a better value for my needs.

I don't pretend that Ryobi makes the best tools, I just find them the best value for my budget. They get the job done and that's all I care about. I do have some contractor graded tool brands, but they all have electric cords. Frankly, don't have much need for them and they seldom get used. I find battery tools are much more convenient for most of my projects.

:caf I got into a little discussion on a different thread about the safety of using pallet wood for garden projects. The person was concerned that pallets were treated with chemicals and not safe for food gardens. Well, MB (Methyl bromide) pallets were banned back in 2005 and I have never personally seen one, so I just offered that just about any pallet you find today should be HT - heat treated with no chemicals - and therefore safe for a food garden.

:idunno But who would take my word on this subject? I'm just a guy on a chicken forum. So, I found a nice helpful link with pallet wood safety concerns. Sharing it here for anyone interested...

⚠️ Knowlege is power. If anyone is interested in maybe using free pallet wood for their projects, here is a nice 101 on the subject Is My Wood Pallet Safe for Reuse – Learn How to Know?

Here's some photos of a coop I made out of mostly pallet wood and a swing out of a pallet and a clothes hanging thingy.

Attachments

• 20211105_182822.jpg
    20211105_182822.jpg
    903 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211105_182838.jpg
    20211105_182838.jpg
    905 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211105_182858.jpg
    20211105_182858.jpg
    747 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211108_132128.jpg
    20211108_132128.jpg
    953.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211108_132149.jpg
    20211108_132149.jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211115_124712.jpg
    20211115_124712.jpg
    586.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211115_124731.jpg
    20211115_124731.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211115_130823.jpg
    20211115_130823.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220402_191941 (2).jpg
    20220402_191941 (2).jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210723_142029.jpg
    20210723_142029.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 7
Here's some photos of a coop I made out of mostly pallet wood and a swing out of a pallet and a clothes hanging thingy.

Nice job on the build. Congrats. I don't see any windows or ventilation in the coop. Is that a problem?

Also, with your slant roof inside the chicken run, do you find that the chickens fly on top of the roof and leave their poo up there? Chickens tend to leave their blessings on any horizontal surface that they can sit on. :tongue

I have come to like the natural look of pallet wood, but I painted my (non-pallet) chicken coop red, like yours, with white trim on the windows, doors, and corners. Made it look like a red barn with white trim.

:caf BTW, do your chickens use your pallet wood swing? Just curious. Am tempted to make one of those pallet wood swings this spring if others tell me that they actually get used by their chickens.

I don't have time or energy to make cute things for the chickens if they don't use them. When I first got my chickens, I had all kinds of toys and such for them to enjoy, but they could care less. What my chickens do enjoy is a big compost pile they can scratch and peck looking for worms and bugs to eat. Very practical stuff.

Thanks for the reply. The roof is raised above the walls leaving an inch around the top of the walls for ventilation and there is no floor in the bottom of the coop it is open to the ground. The run is covered with netting that is over the roof and the runs. They cannot access the roof. There are also 3 nesting boxes that protrude out of the back of the coop. YES! My chickens do use the swing. I added a photo of the whole complex.
Nice job on the build. Congrats. I don't see any windows or ventilation in the coop. Is that a problem?

Also, with your slant roof inside the chicken run, do you find that the chickens fly on top of the roof and leave their poo up there? Chickens tend to leave their blessings on any horizontal surface that they can sit on. :tongue

I have come to like the natural look of pallet wood, but I painted my (non-pallet) chicken coop red, like yours, with white trim on the windows, doors, and corners. Made it look like a red barn with white trim.

:caf BTW, do your chickens use your pallet wood swing? Just curious. Am tempted to make one of those pallet wood swings this spring if others tell me that they actually get used by their chickens.

I don't have time or energy to make cute things for the chickens if they don't use them. When I first got my chickens, I had all kinds of toys and such for them to enjoy, but they could care less. What my chickens do enjoy is a big compost pile they can scratch and peck looking for worms and bugs to eat. Very practical stuff.

Attachments

• 20220402_191828.jpg
    20220402_191828.jpg
    947.3 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the reply. The roof is raised above the walls leaving an inch around the top of the walls for ventilation and there is no floor in the bottom of the coop it is open to the ground. The run is covered with netting that is over the roof and the runs. They cannot access the roof. There are also 3 nesting boxes that protrude out of the back of the coop. YES! My chickens do use the swing. I added a photo of the whole complex.
Beautiful!
I will move tomorrow to my new place. no internet there so I will rarely be here to check the posts. I have to take care of lots of things before I find a solution for internet.
Hope your move goes easy and hope to see you around again soon 🙂

Back
Top Bottom