Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

⚠️ The Kreg Crosscut Station requires a 7-1/4 inch circular saw!

Well, darn it. Just found out that my 5-1/2 and 6-1/2 inch cordless saws will not work on this Kreg Crosscut Station without modification. The problem is that your saw needs to have a 2" cut of depth, and my smaller 5-1/2 and 6-1/2 inch cordless saws only go down to a maximum of 1-11/16 inch deep. That's just enough to cut a standard 2X4 on a sawhorse. Not enough to cut a kerf in the bottom board of the jig, not enough to cut through the wood in the jig. :tongue

1695109202126.png

That still leaves my big brushless 7-1/4 inch saw which will cut down to 2 inches deep. So, I guess I'll have to remount the guide rails for that saw. Oh well, that's my best saw anyway. Plus, last year I bought a demolition blade from Harbor Freight for the saw to cut through any hidden nails that might be in the pallet wood. It's not a total disappointment, but I thought my smaller circular saws would work on it as well.

1695110170181.png

1695108991748.png

:idunno I guess I won't be ordering any more of those crosscut workstations for my other saws. It will only work (without modifications) with my 7-1/4 inch saw and not the smaller cordless circular saws.

If you really want to get one of these Kreg Crosscut Stations to work with your smaller circular saws, you would have to add a 3/8 or 1/2 inch thick board on top of that bottom board inside the jig. No problem for cutting pallet wood planks, but it might be a tight fit to slide a 2X4 under the metal guide blades if you raise the bottom boards up. Also, the angle guide will no longer work and the clamps on this jig might be hard to work with an extra board on the bottom. I'm thinking that if you have to modify this Kreg workstation this much to fit a smaller circular saw, you might be better off making your own jig from the start.

:caf I thought I should post this information as I suspect many people with battery powered circular saws might have the smaller 5-1/2 or 6-1/2 inch saws. That's all I ever needed for many years. But I got a super good deal on that 7-1/4 inch circular saw a few years ago and could not pass up that sale price at that time. I paid considerably less than then current $130 "sale" price. It's a really good saw, but until now I never really needed the full sized 7-1/4 inch saw blade. If you don't already have a full sized 7-1/4 inch circular saw, then I don't think this Kreg Crosscut Workstation is such a good deal.

This is basically my first pallet project - a duck pool deck! The pallet originally came with five slats on top so I added pieces of slats from other pallets (cut long) then used the jig saw to cut out the circle. I added more 2x4s underneath for support and installed a sink drain in the pool so I don't have to lift it out to drain it. The ducks are very happy.
IMG_2983.JPG

This is basically my first pallet project - a duck pool deck! The pallet originally came with five slats on top so I added pieces of slats from other pallets (cut long) then used the jig saw to cut out the circle. I added more 2x4s underneath for support and installed a sink drain in the pool so I don't have to lift it out to drain it. The ducks are very happy.
View attachment 3640010
Cool Pool!

View attachment 3640010

:thumbsup Very nice! Those ducks look quite happy. Love the sink drain idea for draining the pool.

How long does the water stay clean? I had ducks and geese years ago, but they made a mess out of everything fast. I don't think I've ever seen duck pool water that clean!

:caf Just a thought, but I think that duck pool water would be great on a compost pile when you drain it. Save all that duck manure in the water to supercharge your compost. Looks like your pallet wood deck duck pond is built on a downhill slant, maybe you could put a garden hose on the sink drain and gravity drain all that water into a compost bin(s) somewhere downhill.

View attachment 3640010

thank you for the pic! I have a pool a bit bigger than yours and pallets. I was thinking how to make a geese pool deck and thanks to you now I know!

:thumbsup Very nice! Those ducks look quite happy. Love the sink drain idea for draining the pool.

How long does the water stay clean? I had ducks and geese years ago, but they made a mess out of everything fast. I don't think I've ever seen duck pool water that clean!

:caf Just a thought, but I think that duck pool water would be great on a compost pile when you drain it. Save all that duck manure in the water to supercharge your compost. Looks like your pallet wood deck duck pond is built on a downhill slant, maybe you could put a garden hose on the sink drain and gravity drain all that water into a compost bin(s) somewhere downhill.

I plan to use water from the pool.

View attachment 3640010
Love this!
I see your ducks do too!

View attachment 3640010
Thank you for the inspiration. I have 6 Peking Ducks and utilize 2 kiddie pools. I hate having to drain, clean and refill the pools each time, but will try and replicate this so as to make the task much easier.

Thank you for the inspiration. I have 6 Peking Ducks and utilize 2 kiddie pools. I hate having to drain, clean and refill the pools each time, but will try and replicate this so as to make the task much easier.
thank you for the pic! I have a pool a bit bigger than yours and pallets. I was thinking how to make a geese pool deck and thanks to you now I know!
Glad it helped! If you need more photos, I'd be happy to get them for you.

Back
Top Bottom