Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Come to think of it, I really don't see gloves made for women, either. Except for maybe those cute colorful garden gloves that keep dirt off your hands but don't provide any protection like a nice leather glove would.

You might be able to find a good fitting pair of mechanic's gloves. They are made to fit skin tight and I know they sell them in small sizes. Those are the tightest fitting gloves I have and they do offer some protection at the same time.
I'm lucky enough to have large hands for a woman, so I can find gloves that fit. But, not in the garden section, for just the reason you mentioned.

I never thought to look for mechanic's gloves. hmmmm.... thanks for the idea!
Every year, I get a bag of 10 pairs of these at a flea market. They are my garden, chicken, and general working gloves. I pay about $5 for the 10 pair, so when they're done, I don't feel bad about tossing them.

I have one pair that are near the chest freezer. They're for digging around in there, looking for "that last bag of cranberries that I'm SURE are in here somewhere!"

I have one pair that are near the chest freezer. They're for digging around in there, looking for "that last bag of cranberries that I'm SURE are in here somewhere!"

:lau That's an amazing idea! I had to get Dear Wife a new upright freezer because she hated to dig through the chest freezer to find the frozen food. I wonder now if I just would have had a pair of those "freezer" gloves for her, I might have saved $1000 on the new upright!? :smack

I pay about $5 for the 10 pair, so when they're done, I don't feel bad about tossing them.

That's what I like about buying inexpensive gloves in packs. I don't cry about tossing them out when they are worn out and no longer useable. Sometimes, like I mentioned, I can match up a good glove on 2 pairs and make one good pair for use. That's another reason why I like to buy gloves in packs.

I had to get Dear Wife a new upright freezer because she hated to dig through the chest freezer to find the frozen food. I wonder now if I just would have had a pair of those "freezer" gloves for her, I might have saved $1000 on the new upright!?
Hubby said if we had to do it over again, he would ABSOLUTELY NOT get a chest freezer for just this reason. He hates digging through it. So I make sure to put "his" stuff in the basket thing. Or right against the egde (frozen pizza) so that he can see it. :gig and :barnie

I have to admit, once stuff is sucked down into the second layer... it is "out of sight, out of mind." We should have a noteboard next to the freezer to write down what's in it.

When we get a sufficiently cold day (10F or lower), I'll clean it out and defrost it.

We should have a noteboard next to the freezer to write down what's in it.

:lau I tried to do that with our chest freezer, but I don't think that idea lasted an entire week! No, Dear Wife said just get an upright freezer where you open the door and can (mostly) see everything in it without having to dig through everything.

Best system I could find that was actually somewhat useful for us with our chest freezer was to put similar items in plastic freezer baskets....

1701713980503.png

So, maybe a basket of frozen veggies, a basket of French fries and onion rings, a basket of seafood items, another of meat, etc... Then you just take the basket you think might have what you need. As long as you don't throw that bag of frozen peas into the fish basket, you can find most food pretty fast.

Given that this is a pallet wood project thread, maybe a person could make pallet wood stacking freezer baskets to custom size for your chest freezer...

1701714257417.png

Building some pallet wood crates has been on my long list for a while now. It just has not moved to the top of the list. But I have a nice brand new pneumatic stapler and staples ready to use to make some crates. Maybe next summer....

I bought a few pairs of those gloves and I don't remember where I put them :lau

Have you been officially diagnosed with CRS?

(can't remember "stuff")

:lau With buying gloves in 5-packs, for example, you can just leave a pair of gloves in the pickup, in your coat and jacket, on the work bench, and by door, etc... That's what I do, anyways. So, in most situations where I might have forgotten to grab a pair of gloves, I usually have a pair handy wherever I need them.

Oh, I also have a 5-gallon bucket full of hand tools that I use for pallet breakdowns. I always have a pair of gloves in that tool bucket as well. I have just about everything I need for pallet breakdowns in that one bucket. Looks something like this...

1701715367726.png

I guess I have extra gloves all over the place!

Have you been officially diagnosed with CRS
I had a job where CRS meant "Cold Rolled Steel." It was used as certain parts of a plastic injection mold, for its strength and lack of flexibility.

I was in a chat room (yeah, a looong time ago!haha) and someone said they had CRS. I thought that was an odd thing to "have." It gets heavy, fast; 1 cubic inch of steel weighs about .285 pounds. Why would you need it? What would you do with it? I'm assuming you're a machinist of some kind...?

They set me straight on what it meant.
:lau

:lau I tried to do that with our chest freezer, but I don't think that idea lasted an entire week! No, Dear Wife said just get an upright freezer where you open the door and can (mostly) see everything in it without having to dig through everything.

Best system I could find that was actually somewhat useful for us with our chest freezer was to put similar items in plastic freezer baskets....

View attachment 3697773

So, maybe a basket of frozen veggies, a basket of French fries and onion rings, a basket of seafood items, another of meat, etc... Then you just take the basket you think might have what you need. As long as you don't throw that bag of frozen peas into the fish basket, you can find most food pretty fast.

Given that this is a pallet wood project thread, maybe a person could make pallet wood stacking freezer baskets to custom size for your chest freezer...

View attachment 3697776

Building some pallet wood crates has been on my long list for a while now. It just has not moved to the top of the list. But I have a nice brand new pneumatic stapler and staples ready to use to make some crates. Maybe next summer....
I've tried this. The "problem" I have experienced with storing everything in baskets is that the baskets take up extra room in the freezer, and especially so if they don't fit tightly next to each other.

In my refrigerator freezer I do use some of the clear acrylic containers for storing frozen broth.The broth containers have a tendency to fall over if not supported.

The "problem" I have experienced with storing everything in baskets is that the baskets take up extra room in the freezer, and especially so if they don't fit tightly next to each other.

Yes, baskets help with organization but at the expense of losing room in the freezer. With just Dear Wife and myself, it was not a problem. But you can certainly get more food in the freezer if you just keep everything in individual small bags and let them pack up the freezer.

I was suggesting that some stacking pallet wood baskets, fit to size for the freezer, might not waste as much space as baskets that don't quite fit right.

Back
Top Bottom