Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

I picked up some clearance tools at Home Depot at about 80% Clearance price of original price in early January. I don't mind buying last year's tools at deep discounts. Pretty much what I look for this time of year.
I'm hoping to find a deal on a DeWalt hand-held cordless vacuum in January at HD.
Hearing protection is important! The contractor who worked on our house didn't wear ear protection (or eye protection!) and it was obvious he was losing his hearing.
The tiny hairs that sense the differences in air pressure in your ear and are the basis of hearing don't grow back. If they're destroyed, they're gone forever.

One bit of flying debris can make you blind.

It's not at all "manly" or "tough" to skip wearing any kind of safety equipment. It's just stupid, IMO.

It's not at all "manly" or "tough" to skip wearing any kind of safety equipment. It's just stupid, IMO.

My father, nor any of his age group peers, wore much of anything for personal safety. They just never thought of personal safety. I don't think it was a matter of being "manly" or "tough" in my father's case, he just did not even consider wearing protection.

On the other hand, I grew up learning how to use power tools in shop class at school. Safety was first and foremost in mind. We all were required to wear personal safety equipment when working with, or around, loud and dangerous equipment in shop class. It's a habit I continued into my adulthood. I don't think of operating my power tools without the proper hearing, eye, or clothing protection.

:clap I appreciate all those guys on YouTube who gear up with all the safety protection equipment when they operate their power tools. Young kids need to see grown men taking their personal safety seriously.

:tongue I cringe at those videos where some guy buys his first chainsaw and goes out to the backyard, in short pants, short sleeved shirt, and sandals, no hearing or eye protection, and then shows you how well his new chainsaw can cut up the tree in the backyard. Yeah, one slip and you will be cutting your leg as easily as that branch. Without a safety helmet, any chainsaw kickback can split open your head and kill you. You never see professional arborists being that cavalier about their personal safety.

⚠️ Speaking directly about safety related to pallet wood projects... Today I was using a circular saw to breakdown down a couple of pallets I picked up this past week. All was going great until I hit one board that either had a bent nail on the underside of the plank, or maybe a nail embedded in the wood. Anyways, sparks went flying at that point and it stalled out my saw. Glad I was wearing protective glasses. You just never know what you might run into when working with pallets. Expect the unexpected and be safe out there.

FYI, I have an old wood blade on my circular saw that is not is great shape. It's basically only used for pallet breakdowns. I'll have to replace it soon as I have hit more than one nail with that blade and some of the teeth have been damaged. It's good enough for rough cutting the pallet wood in a breakdown, but I would not use it for any finish work where a smooth cut is required. When that old blade is no longer useable, I will be replacing it with a new demolition blade that is made to cut both wood and nails.

You know you can restore the ones [Milwaukee batteries] you have…
Or use a simple Soldering iron and replace the cells from Inside the pack.
Or marketplace is also how I found several battery packs for my ryobi 18V units.

I have seen some YouTube videos on rebuilding battery packs. Some of them mention it can be dangerous using a soldering iron around Li-Ion batteries. But I suppose if you can tear apart and rebuild a battery pack safely, you could probably save lots of money.

From what I understand, a "dead" battery pack might only have one or two bad battery cells. Seems like you could save a lot of money if you could identify the bad cell(s), replace them, and put the battery pack back into service.

I wish I could work with gloves. I have never ever found my size gloves. it seems those gloves are made for men only. big gloves always slow me down so I take them off.
Recognise this for for the old fashioned work gloves. But now I found other work gloves that are made with new materials like PU.

Not good for the environment. But they have a good fit.
PU Working gloves

Merry Christmas, y'all. Interesting thread here. I love how versatile pallets can be for building, not to mention cheap. From small to large projects, a great resource to build on the farmstead quickly and (fairly) easily.

My favorite thing about pallet building (other than cost effectiveness) is that, with some planning, they piece together like a puzzle when building larger structures like sheds or miniature barns.

I'm a slow one year+ into constructing a 10'x12' workshop. I added on a pallet half-wraparound patio, too, which makes for a nice space to pull my saws out onto.

A quicker recent project was a hay shed. Made from a few pallets and some T1-11 siding. It comfortably holds five bales, but a sixth can go direct in front of needed. The structure still needs a barn door to cover it up from rain and wind and snow (and my Rhode Island Red who likes to lay her eggs in there and mess up the straw stacks).

I am working on the layout for another big project: an 8'x12' mini barn to house my Dexter cows, and probably my mini pigs, too, as I'd love for all of them to pasture together. I have the pallets, and laid out on the ground to map out the work, but now need to connect them together with 2x4s and raise the walls!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231225-174550.png
    Screenshot_20231225-174550.png
    925.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20231225-174634.png
    Screenshot_20231225-174634.png
    707.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20231225-175330.png
    Screenshot_20231225-175330.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20231225-175421.png
    Screenshot_20231225-175421.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
I'm a slow one year+ into constructing a 10'x12' workshop. I added on a pallet half-wraparound patio, too, which makes for a nice space to pull my saws out onto.

Thanks for those great pictures. On the workshop, how did you do the siding? It looks like an overlap, shingle type layout with the boards laid out horizontally. Did you need to put some kind of particle board on the walls before that pallet wood siding?

I have made some smaller panels using a board-on-board method, but that does not look like a uniform layout. It is fast and functional, though. If I build a larger shed, I would probably want something looking more like your layout.

There is a board and batten siding, which I think looks good, but the pallet wood I used is nowhere near uniform. Some boards I used were bigger and others smaller depending on the gap in the pallet wood planks. But here is a Google picture with uniform spacing...

1703560125563.png

I have not yet made a large structure out of pallet wood. I have enough pallets, so it's just a matter of considering what type of design would work best for me.

I have built sheds and used T1-11 siding, but I would like to try to use pallet wood for siding on any future shed build.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas, y'all. Interesting thread here. I love how versatile pallets can be for building, not to mention cheap. From small to large projects, a great resource to build on the farmstead quickly and (fairly) easily.

My favorite thing about pallet building (other than cost effectiveness) is that, with some planning, they piece together like a puzzle when building larger structures like sheds or miniature barns.

A quicker recent project was a hay shed. Made from a few pallets and some T1-11 siding. It comfortably holds five bales, but a sixth can go direct in front of needed. The structure still needs a barn door to cover it up from rain and wind and snow (and my Rhode Island Red who likes to lay her eggs in there and mess up the straw stacks).

I am working on the layout for another big project: an 8'x12' mini barn to house my Dexter cows, and probably my mini pigs, too, as I'd love for all of them to pasture together. I have the pallets, and laid out on the ground to map out the work, but now need to connect them together with 2x4s and raise the walls!

great! thanks for sharing.

I should make something tall for my turkeys but it is too windy and it could be lifted easily. I must figure out how to do it. I keep dirt floor in my coops.

Good looking work!

Back
Top Bottom