Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

unfortunately no. I just make a line with net and plant tomatoes in a zig zag pattern (one seed left side of the net and the next seed on the right side).

OK. Do the tomatoes automatically climb the net, or do you have to train them and/or tie them to the net?

FYI, I have only used wire tomato cages in the past. I am open to new methods of growing tomatoes, especially if they are less work and have good results. Last year my cherry tomato plants got over 6 feet tall. My wire cages were maybe 3 feet tall. The plants flopped over due to the weight of the fruit, but the plants continued to produce. This year, I need more support for the plants if they grow that tall again.

As far as building a wooden trellis system, yes, I agree, that would be some work. The more I think about it, the more complicated my design in my mind becomes. That's not the direction I want to go. I prefer simple things that work, and I have not figured that out with a wood trellis system for tomatoes.

Also, I am trying to figure out a system that uses free pallet wood, which I have a lot, instead of having to purchase other materials like wire cages or wire fencing to build cages.

I am proposing this separate thread dedicated to showing off your DIY Pallet Projects and perhaps a little discussion on the topic of pallet projects. I know there are pics and posts about pallet projects here and there on the BYC forums, but some people suggested I start a dedicated thread to the subject so we can all share our pallet projects and maybe pass along some good idea for others.

I'll start off with a simple pallet project I built for the garden. It's a tool holder for hoes, rakes, shovels, etc.. I made one full length pallet to hold my longest handled tools, but I added another pallet cut down 3/4 size and 1/2 size for my shorter handled tools. I connected the pallets with some 2X4's long enough to fit my 5 gallon buckets between the pallets. What I like about this project is that it was super simple to make for a beginner. Secondly, I now have my tools all stored in one place instead of laying all over the garden. Third, the stand is light enough to move wherever I want, but heavy enough not to blow over in a good wind. Here's the pic...

View attachment 3208481

Here is what it looks like on the backside.

View attachment 3208485
What have you done here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS. IS. AMAZING!! Genius. Just Genius!!

What have you done here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS. IS. AMAZING!! Genius. Just Genius!!

Thanks. There are a lot of great member projects and discussions related to pallet wood projects on this thread. I hope you get inspiration from some of the posts. Like any thread, it's only as good as the members make contributions to the discussion.

I would love to see any pallet projects you have built, planning to build, or questions you might have related to pallet wood. Hope to hear more from you in the future.

One of my coops built from pallets. The front clean out door is plywood. I have linoleum covering the bottom pallet. My bigger cooplex is made from pallets and plywood. Doors are simply easier to use with plywood and the external nesting box is easier using plywood. I did cut the pallets to make the front chicken doors, but the bigger clean out doors are from one big 4x8 plywood sheet. For both of these coops, I covered the open slats with reclaimed fence wood I picked up. My newest coop build will be a small breeding barn with four coops and four runs. The base is pallets (that will be covered in hardware cloth-which I have on one elevated coop/run base that I really like), but I will probably be using plywood for the rest of the coop build.

I am making a gazebo and plan on using pallets to build the walls. Looking for the pallets now, :)

Attachments

• IMG_0588.jpeg
    IMG_0588.jpeg
    673.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7570.jpeg
    IMG_7570.jpeg
    498.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7552.jpeg
    IMG_7552.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
Thanks. There are a lot of great member projects and discussions related to pallet wood projects on this thread. I hope you get inspiration from some of the posts. Like any thread, it's only as good as the members make contributions to the discussion.

I would love to see any pallet projects you have built, planning to build, or questions you might have related to pallet wood. Hope to hear more from you in the future.
Just posted! I am definitely inspired and look forward to doing more, :)

OK. Do the tomatoes automatically climb the net, or do you have to train them and/or tie them to the net?

FYI, I have only used wire tomato cages in the past. I am open to new methods of growing tomatoes, especially if they are less work and have good results. Last year my cherry tomato plants got over 6 feet tall. My wire cages were maybe 3 feet tall. The plants flopped over due to the weight of the fruit, but the plants continued to produce. This year, I need more support for the plants if they grow that tall again.

As far as building a wooden trellis system, yes, I agree, that would be some work. The more I think about it, the more complicated my design in my mind becomes. That's not the direction I want to go. I prefer simple things that work, and I have not figured that out with a wood trellis system for tomatoes.

Also, I am trying to figure out a system that uses free pallet wood, which I have a lot, instead of having to purchase other materials like wire cages or wire fencing to build cages.

I usually grow indeterminate tomatoes and they have to be trained and tied. very often I pass a rubber string through the net and tie tomatoes to each other (I hope I explained it well). that way they resist wind better.

last summer I grew a few determinate tomatoes. I didn't use net or anything else. they grew like any bush.

One of my coops built from pallets. The front clean out door is plywood. I have linoleum covering the bottom pallet. My bigger cooplex is made from pallets and plywood. Doors are simply easier to use with plywood and the external nesting box is easier using plywood. I did cut the pallets to make the front chicken doors, but the bigger clean out doors are from one big 4x8 plywood sheet. For both of these coops, I covered the open slats with reclaimed fence wood I picked up. My newest coop build will be a small breeding barn with four coops and four runs. The base is pallets (that will be covered in hardware cloth-which I have on one elevated coop/run base that I really like), but I will probably be using plywood for the rest of the coop build.

I am making a gazebo and plan on using pallets to build the walls. Looking for the pallets now, :)

looks great! looking forward to see your gazebo. I do need one.

🤔 Thinking about making a full 4X4 foot bed 9-section tomato trellis system out of pallet wood. Last year I used some wire tomato cages, but they were too short and not strong enough once my tomato plants got over 4 foot tall.

At first, I was thinking of just slapping together a bunch of pallet wood 2X4 stretchers to make the frame. Easy. But then I considered how heavy it would be. If I made everything out of 2X4's, then I would have to build it in place and just decided to never move it.

Second thought was to rip the 2X4's into 2X2's and use that for the tomato trellis. Half the weight, but obviously more work if I have to rip each 2X4. Not too much of a problem after I learned how to easily rip those 2X4's during a previous pallet wood project. I got the ripping the 2X4 in half down with no problem. That still requires a lot of lumber. Considering that most of those pallet wood 2X4's have notches on one side, I really only get 1 full 2X2 each time I rip a 2X4's pallet wood stretcher in half.

Thinking some more. I have moved on in my thinking to using the 2X2's for the main upright frame, but using 1/4-inch lath boards for the cross sections. In theory, I could get a lot of 1/4-inch lath boards if I ripped the 2X4's. I thought that would be a great answer in terms of using less lumber, getting the total weight down, and still providing a strong tomato trellis.

:idunno Turns out, ripping 4-foot-long 1/4-inch lath boards/strips from 2X4 lumber is not as easy as I thought it would be. On the table saw, you run into a problem with getting your fingers too close to the blade when ripping the boards. I don't know about you, but my fingers are very valuable to me. So, I would have to make a jig(s) to make it safer. Over the past few evenings, I have watched all kinds of YouTube videos on ripping thin strips using either a table saw or a circular saw. Unfortunately, almost all of them are ripping short 2-foot-long boards whereas I need to rip a 4-foot-long 2X4 pallet wood stretcher.

My idea is to make one complete 4X4 foot trellis system that would have 9 sections - 16 inches square per tomato plant. The closest picture I can find is something like this...

View attachment 3771030

But, in my mind, I just use 1/4-inch lath boards as the cross pieces because my 4X4 foot trellis would be much smaller.

My backup idea is to make individual cages along this design...

View attachment 3771032

Or use that concept to tie everything together to make 9 squares in that 4X4 foot bed.

:caf Anyways, I am kind of stuck on the overall design idea. I am dealing with what I think I want if I had unlimited skills compared to what I think I can actually do. Well, I want to do the project safely and ripping 1/4-inch lath boards is trickier than I thought. If anyone has a good idea on ripping 4-foot-long 1/4-inch lath strips from a 2X4, please let me know. In the meantime, I'm still considering my options and tossing ideas around in my head. Later...

We were thinking about doing something similar for our tomatoes this year! Last year our tomato plants grew absolutely massive (a few nearly as tall as me! 😯) and our tomato cages just didnt cut it, even with modifications. So we were looking at a couple of options at what we could built that might be better, one being a wood trellis like what you're looking at doing, the other being some wire grid walls to go down the length of the tomato rows. Even looked at modifying some old bed frames we have hangin out and doing a combination. That's my next project once I get the new coop and run built for the pullets.

One of my coops built from pallets. The front clean out door is plywood. I have linoleum covering the bottom pallet. My bigger cooplex is made from pallets and plywood. Doors are simply easier to use with plywood and the external nesting box is easier using plywood.

:clap Thanks for those pictures. Love seeing what other people do with pallets. I get my inspiration from others and sharing projects and pictures gives me new ideas on possibilities.

I am all for using whatever materials work best for a project. I think it's great to mix and match source materials if it makes sense, and probably saves money.

FWIW, I built my chicken coop before I got into pallet projects. However, most of the framing was built from salvaged/reclaimed/left over lumber from other projects. I also used a lot of inexpensive OSB for the side walls and roofing. As that wood rots out, I'm replacing it with pallet wood where it makes sense. Actually, the pallet wood I have been using is better than the original OSB.

:caf Looking forward to seeing your pictures on that project, as well.

I am definitely inspired and look forward to doing more, :)

Please post your projects to inspire others. You never know what you post might help someone else.

I usually grow indeterminate tomatoes and they have to be trained and tied. very often I pass a rubber string through the net and tie tomatoes to each other (I hope I explained it well). that way they resist wind better.

I believe I understand that. I am guessing that your tomato plants are lined up in a row? In my case, I would have 9 tomato plants in a 4X4 foot raised bed. I am not sure I would be able to tie off the tomatoes in that setup.

last summer I grew a few determinate tomatoes. I didn't use net or anything else. they grew like any bush.

It must depend on the variety of bush-type tomato plants you have. My determinate tomatoes got very heavy and would have fallen over if I did not have them supported by a cage.

:yesss: Well, I should qualify that when I grew determinant tomatoes in my poor lakeside in-ground soil, I was lucky if the plants ever got 2 feet high and had very much fruit. But now I am making raised beds out of pallet wood, filling them with hügelkultur wood in the bottom, and topping them off with a high-quality topsoil and chicken run compost mixed 1:1. My determinant tomatoes last year got about 4 feet high and had lots of heavy fruit on them. They needed a support cage to keep them from falling over. But, even my wire tomato cages were not heavy enough last year, which is why I have looking into building new cages out of wood for this year.

Back
Top Bottom