Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

I am done with the yearly, or every other year, inner tube replacments. This year I got 4 new flat-free tires at Harbor Freight on sale for about $16.00 each (regular price $22.00 each). They just had the best price at the time I needed them. But Home Depot, Menards, etc... sell flat-free tires as well.

1711306108050.png

In theory, I should never have to replace those flat-free tires in my lifetime. Additionally, all you have to do with these new flat-free tires is pull out the cotter pin on the axel, remove the old pneumatic tire, and pop the flat free tire back on. Hardly any work at all.

:tongue Update on Flat-Free Wheel Changeout on my Gorilla Cart

Well, those HF 13-inch tires did not work out for me. The hub on the wheels were too long/wide and would not fit on the axel properly. The end of the hub stuck out a good 3/4-inch and I could not get on the outside washer and cotter pin to hold the wheel in place.

I will have to return all 4 of those wheels to Harbor Freight. That's too bad. On the other hand, I dug out the receipts and found that I paid $18.00 per tire, on sale, saving $4.00 off the regular price. For some reason, I thought I had saved $6.00 per tire, but it was only $4.00 each.

Of course, nobody in town sells the 13-inch tires in the Gorilla cart width hub that I need. So, I found a set of after-market Gorilla cart replacement wheels on Amazon.

1711924428927.png

I should have known better, but I had assumed that all 13-inch replacement tires would be universal fit. They are not. Here is the hub specs on the Gorilla cart replacement wheels I just ordered...

1711924704654.png

Anyways, these wheels from Amazon came with a 5% off coupon, plus I get another 5% off for using my Amazon credit card. That brings down the price to $18.00 per wheel which is the sale price I got at Harbor Freight. To my benefit, the wheels from Amazon are rated for 300 pounds working load each whereas the wheels from Harbor Freight were each rated for 275 pounds. So, maybe the tires from Amazon are built better.

:idunno FYI, I found a YouTube video on how to remove the bearings out of the Harbor Freight wheels and to cut the hub down to the width I need. But I would have to buy about $15.00 in cut-off wheels and mandrels for my pneumatic air die grinder to do that job - on all 4 wheels. In the end, I decided it was better to wait a week and get a set of tires that were made to fit my cart. And, with the coupons and cash back on the Amazon card, the cost is the same.

:tongue:tongue BTW, after I discovered that the Harbor Freight wheel hubs were too wide to fit on my axel rod, I dug out 3 brand new inner tubes I purchased a few years ago and never used. All 3 leaked air when filled. Brand new, but 3 years in storage. Those were some Amazon China specials, but still, it was most disappointing to see that never used inner tubes could not hold air. I am so over buying inner tubes that only last a year or two at best. So much better just to upgrade to flat free tires as soon as you have any problems with the pneumatic tires. Don't waste your money on cheap inner tubes that need to be replaced every year or two!

Well, those HF 13-inch tires did not work out for me. The hub on the wheels were too long/wide and would not fit on the axel properly. The end of the hub stuck out a good 3/4-inch and I could not get on the outside washer and cotter pin to hold the wheel in place.

I will have to return all 4 of those wheels to Harbor Freight. That's too bad. On the other hand, I dug out the receipts and found that I paid $18.00 per tire, on sale, saving $4.00 off the regular price. For some reason, I thought I had saved $6.00 per tire, but it was only $4.00 each.

Of course, nobody in town sells the 13-inch tires in the Gorilla cart width hub that I need. So, I found a set of after-market Gorilla cart replacement wheels on Amazon.

View attachment 3787782

I should have known better, but I had assumed that all 13-inch replacement tires would be universal fit. They are not. Here is the hub specs on the Gorilla cart replacement wheels I just ordered...

View attachment 3787795

Anyways, these wheels from Amazon came with a 5% off coupon, plus I get another 5% off for using my Amazon credit card. That brings down the price to $18.00 per wheel which is the sale price I got at Harbor Freight. To my benefit, the wheels from Amazon are rated for 300 pounds working load each whereas the wheels from Harbor Freight were each rated for 275 pounds. So, maybe the tires from Amazon are built better.

:idunno FYI, I found a YouTube video on how to remove the bearings out of the Harbor Freight wheels and to cut the hub down to the width I need. But I would have to buy about $15.00 in cut-off wheels and mandrels for my pneumatic air die grinder to do that job - on all 4 wheels. In the end, I decided it was better to wait a week and get a set of tires that were made to fit my cart. And, with the coupons and cash back on the Amazon card, the cost is the same.

:tongue:tongue BTW, after I discovered that the Harbor Freight wheel hubs were too wide to fit on my axel rod, I dug out 3 brand new inner tubes I purchased a few years ago and never used. All 3 leaked air when filled. Brand new, but 3 years in storage. Those were some Amazon China specials, but still, it was most disappointing to see that never used inner tubes could not hold air. I am so over buying inner tubes that only last a year or two at best. So much better just to upgrade to flat free tires as soon as you have any problems with the pneumatic tires. Don't waste your money on cheap inner tubes that need to be replaced every year or two!
I see Lowe's is carrying their own brand of cart
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-4-cu-ft-Poly-Yard-Cart/5013562155

View attachment 3787782

View attachment 3787795

I hope you don't get nailed too bad by HarbFreight when you return those wheels. They have a 20% return fee, which I learned when I returned an air tank once. It didn't have any problems, I just didn't want it. If there was a problem with it there wouldn't have been the return fee.

Maybe you "Members" get special treatment on returns and don't get charged to return perfectly good items. Good luck.

I hope you don't get nailed too bad by HarbFreight when you return those wheels. They have a 20% return fee, which I learned when I returned an air tank once.

:eek: Wow! I did not see any disclaimer on returning those wheels. They are still brand new and have not been used at all. I'll have to check that out for sure before I bring them back to the store.

:caf I do know that Harbor Freight has a return fee on some items. But they have always told me before I made a purchase if that was the case on an item. There is a little not-so-secret program going on at Harbor Freight. You can buy an item, use it for a while, and return it for that 20% return fee. For the people who do that routinely, it's just considered a tool rental fee, often times less expensive than Rent-It shops charge for renting an item for a day or two. Harbor Freight does not discourage it. Then they sell the return as an open box item for maybe 10% off. So, they come out ahead anyway.

EDIT: I just checked my receipts, and there was no return fee printed on the sales receipt. When I purchased an electronic scanner for my cars last fall, the checkout guy warned me about the return fee before he rang it up, and IIRC, there was also a printed notice on that item on the printout. There was nothing like that on the purchase of these wheels.

Last edited:
@gtaus , the box the compressed air tank was in the I returned wasn't even opened up. P!$$ed me off a little, but I ended up accepting it as a lesson learned.

Understood. I will have to return those HF wheels on Tuesday when I go to town and see if I get full credit. Thanks for the heads up.

I guess HB screwed me. The item I returned was unopened and in new condition. I just found this on the HB website.
https://www.harborfreight.com/customer-service-return-exchange.html#3

Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 5.54.02 PM.png

Yeah, I would think if the box was unopened, you should have received your full credit back on the return. You would probably have to talk to a manager on the return because I suspect the checkout person just automatically applied the 20% restocking fee. Managers have more discretion in those decisions. But some managers are worse than the checkout people.

I don't know if being an Inside Track Club (ITC) member at HF would have any additional benefits regarding returns and restocking fees. But I also have a Harbor Freight credit card which I use there at the store. If I had a complaint, I'd contact both HF customer service and also complain to the credit card company's customer service. I don't have much faith in getting any descent customer support anywhere these days, but you never know and sometimes it helps to register a complaint.

If I have to lose 20% on returning those tires to HF, I think I would just use that money lost on buying the cut-off wheels and mandrel for my air angle die grinder and mod the wheels by cutting the hubs down to size. Not my first choice, but I could return the tires to Amazon for full credit if I am forced to use those HF wheels.

At any rate, that Gorilla cart is sitting in my garage, with one wheel off, taking up too much room. I broke down 3 pallets yesterday evening and my workspace is too cluttered for anything else. Those wheels are estimated to be delivered on Thursday. Fortunately, we have some nice 50F+ weather in the forecast for later in the week so I think I will be able to move some things outside. Spring is getting close!

Back
Top Bottom