Silkie Rooster and Merging?

featherb

Hatching
Sep 18, 2022
Hello
I have a 9 month Silkie Rooster on the way, and I was thinking of housing him with with one of our standard bantam hen, would that be a 'yes' or 'absolutely not'?
I say this because I am squeamish to merge him completely with the other flock right away, or maybe just not at all. They're mostly english gamefowls, and I worry about him possibly getting bullied.

I am a beginner when it comes to these things, and my relative handles the flock, but the roost is one of my own chickens, so I'm sorry if it's maybe an absurd question! I'd appreciate any other tips as well or maybe other solutions. I just worry to have him alone too long before I am able to purchase another silkie to accompany him.

Hi, welcome to the forum from Louisiana, glad you joined.

I'd need to know a bit more about the set-up to feel comfortable with my suggestions. What does the existing flock look like? How many girls and especially how many boys? Their age? The age of the "hen" you'd put with him? What do the current facilities look like? Size of coops and runs and how are they tied together. Do they free range or are they limited to a run?

Are you going to quarantine him? If you are, putting a potentially sacrificial chicken with him could help warn you of any flock immunities he has but could still spread to the current flock. It can also tell you if the current flock has immunities that they can spread to new chickens.

What I suggest will depend on your specific circumstances. We all have different situations.

Back
Top Bottom