Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 weeks old, maybe a rooster?

JulieS

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 3, 2010
56274_img_6939.jpg

New to chickens, just got 6 Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets that a neighbor raised for me. They were sexed (?) and should all be girls but one looks a little different to me. They're about 4 weeks old. The one on the left has a bumpier comb that goes further up it's head than the others and you can see pink where the waddles would be and nothing on the others. Also, the vent area of the suspicious one is obviously redder than the others. Does that mean anything? I can't really tell a difference in the feathers. Will I have a rooster among my hens? When will I be able to tell for sure and what do I look for?

56274_img_6901.jpg

Last edited:
That looks an awful lot like the pic I posted earlier today of one of my SLW chicks, which are ten days old. Sometime they can have a single comb (bumpier) when they should have a flatter "rose" comb...apparently it's not uncommon. They suggested in my post that my chick was showing early signs of being a roo and it sure looks an awful lot like yours
smile.png
His comb is showing signs of pink and so are his teeny wattles. His legs are very sturdy too but it's still a crap-shoot I think!

Sexing isn't 100% either so it's very possible you have a roo. It's weird that my 10 day old chick looks so much like your 4-week old chick!

Oh! I'll have to try to find your post/picture. Just found this forum today so I'm still trying to figure it out. My neighbor got the chicks from a farm store that said they came from Michigan.

Back
Top Bottom