Small yellow worms/maggots in stool?? *PIC* HELP!

Pics

chickachickayea

Songster
Mar 25, 2016
LV, PA
Help!

I was just out with my girls and I saw this poop - I'm not sure how fresh it is. But those small yellow things are either worms or some type of maggot?? :( They were wiggling around throughout. No bigger than a grain of rice.

They get Rooster Booster in their water daily. Dumor Poultry Grower/Finisher Feed + grit. Food scraps sometimes (mostly melon or cucumber). Should I get meds to administer ASAP??
1f613.png

Here I am again...

I noticed these suckers in 2 of my hens poop. Decided to take samples for a fecal test to a vet nearby that sees "exotics" (and gave me a hard time about not being a regular patient...but I digress). So 5 birds x $38/poo, and a week of phone-tag with this vet, it ended with the following email:

Ginger and Pepper came back positive for isospora which is a coccidia species. Tiny had a "degenerated mite" so it appears that they may also have some mites but they were not able to identify what it was for sure. For treatment of the coccidia, you can use Corid (amprolium) which you can get over the counter. You can purchase the 20% soluble powder online or at a tractor supply store. You then add 1 bag to 1 gallon of water and use this mixture for 5 days. You then Add 1/2 bag to 1 gallon of water and use this for an additional week after the first 5 day course.

SO I listened to the Corid part - but disregarded the dosage amount because that seemed incorrect after reading through several threads on here recommending 1/2-1 1/2 tsp of Corid per gallon...

I started treating them Friday last week, 3/4 tsp in 1 gal water, changed daily.

I also cleaned and sprayed the coop and my mite-positive bird, Tiny, with Permethrin this past Sunday.

I'm back because the vet made no mention of tapeworms, despite me seeing these segments again. Wouldn't that have come up in the fecal test? :/

I take my chickens out for free-ranging everyday, but for a limited amount of time.
My 2 afflicted hens symptoms: no lethargy, 1 lays everyday, 1 has not laid in a few weeks (I thought due to new birds/broody/new coop arrangement...) and she appears to have lost some weight, but I could also be paranoid... God I feel awful. I will be more vigilant with a regular deworming schedule from now on...

I'm sort of at a loss and self-diagnosing here, and have read what feels like a hundred threads, and differing recommendations. So I'm looking for an answer again.

Treatment options:
- Valbazen - 0.25 cc
- Z-Gold - tiny pea sized amount (couldn't find accurate dosage)
- Equimax - 1ml/1g​

I'm just not entirely sure which to use? Although at this point, I guess whatever is readily available at TSC! I've also read about the 24 hr fast before worming, as well as separation, and wondering if this is absolutely required?

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated, as always. :hugs

Some vets are meh and some vets are great.

I feed my animals squash, seeds, and some natural anti-worming stuffs. I've also added Wazine to deworm my flocks in the fall. One ounce in a gallon of water. (Wazine takes care of roundworms only.)

In the spring, I will probably do the other deworming with the other type of deworming (takes care of all the other stuffs.) I don't know what it's called, but it's one of those things at TSC. Someone here will know.

Chickens can have worms and no signs of them.

Some people deworm on a regular schedule.

Some people deworm when they happen to think about it.

Some people deworm when they notice something in the poop or that their animal is in a lot of distress.

Some people never deworm, expecting foods and nature to take care of things.

There are so many ways the chickens can get worms. Don't be hard on yourself. Be true to yourself and your chickens. You are learning and doing the best you can.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worming-with-valbazen.401475/page-11

There are several deworming threads you can get to in the forum search. We use Safeguard or Valbazen as needed and feed some herbs and foods such as wormwood, garlic, squash and pumpkin seeds thought to have deworming properties. We have had gapeworm in the past and the Safeguard (available at TSC) took care of them.

Some vets are meh and some vets are great.

I feed my animals squash, seeds, and some natural anti-worming stuffs. I've also added Wazine to deworm my flocks in the fall. One ounce in a gallon of water. (Wazine takes care of roundworms only.)

In the spring, I will probably do the other deworming with the other type of deworming (takes care of all the other stuffs.) I don't know what it's called, but it's one of those things at TSC. Someone here will know.

Chickens can have worms and no signs of them.

Some people deworm on a regular schedule.

Some people deworm when they happen to think about it.

Some people deworm when they notice something in the poop or that their animal is in a lot of distress.

Some people never deworm, expecting foods and nature to take care of things.

There are so many ways the chickens can get worms. Don't be hard on yourself. Be true to yourself and your chickens. You are learning and doing the best you can.

Thank you :hugs

I know they can be asymptomatic, and then suddenly take a turn for the worse. *deep sigh*

I have been giving them raw pumpkin seeds until I can get some real squash from our farmer friend down the road, just to help with vitamins & minerals. But I know that is not the cure-all for this kind of stuff, and chemical intervention is necessary.

I am currently revamping their coop & run area, and planning to do deep litter method in hopes of improving their current situation.

I'm hesitant about Wazine as I've heard it does a major purge from the birds, and they can get intestinal blockage resulting in potential death. :/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worming-with-valbazen.401475/page-11

There are several deworming threads you can get to in the forum search. We use Safeguard or Valbazen as needed and feed some herbs and foods such as wormwood, garlic, squash and pumpkin seeds thought to have deworming properties. We have had gapeworm in the past and the Safeguard (available at TSC) took care of them.

Thank you for replying. I've read a bunch of deworming threads, which is why my head is kind of spinning currently... But that thread was helpful as it was more recent, thank you.

I think I've narrowed it down to Valbazen or Safeguard. I have a tube of Safeguard on hand, so unless I feel like ordering and waiting on a Valbazen delivery, I may resort to the Safeguard.

Treatment options:
- Valbazen - 0.25 cc
- Z-Gold - tiny pea sized amount (couldn't find accurate dosage)
- Equimax - 1ml/1g

If you want to treat tapeworms get something with praziquantel in it (exception being something with moxitdectin - do not get anything with moxidectin). Equimax (ivermectin and prziquantel) would be my choice. Ignore all posts and websites that mention using a "pea size" amount of anything, that's just crazy and stupid. The praziquantel dose is 10 mg/kg, and the Equimax has 140.3 mg/ml of praziquantel. It also has ivermectin, which might treat the mites.

Anyway, the dose when treating tapes using Equimax is ~0.032 ml per pound, so a five pound hen gets ~0.16 ml. Okay to round up a little.

Valbazen might not treat some species of tapes.
Z-gold will treat tapes, but you have to give a lot of it - get Equimax instead.
equimax_1.jpg

If you want to treat tapeworms get something with praziquantel in it (exception being something with moxitdectin - do not get anything with moxidectin). Equimax (ivermectin and prziquantel) would be my choice. Ignore all posts and websites that mention using a "pea size" amount of anything, that's just crazy and stupid. The praziquantel dose is 10 mg/kg, and the Equimax has 140.3 mg/ml of praziquantel. It also has ivermectin, which might treat the mites.

Anyway, the dose when treating tapes using Equimax is ~0.032 ml per pound, so a five pound hen gets ~0.16 ml. Okay to round up a little.

Valbazen might not treat some species of tapes.
Z-gold will treat tapes, but you have to give a lot of it - get Equimax instead.
View attachment 1131644

:bow

$14 @ TSC - I know what I'll be doing tomorrow then.

Pretty sure all my hens & roo are under 5 lbs, especially my silkie.

Thank you SO much @casportpony for all you do!

The moderate outbreak dose for the powder is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon.
The moderate outbreak dose for the liquid is 1 teaspoon per gallon.

The severe outbreak dose for the powder is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.
The severe outbreak dose for the liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon.

Medicated water needs to be the only drinking source. Make fresh daily.

Your goose can have medicated water.

-Kathy

@casportpony I saw this on one of the older threads. For Corid dosage - is it 3/4 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days and then decreased (halved?) for 5-7 more days?
I got the equimax today but will have to dose tomorrow. Thank you again for your help! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom