Smelly Duck!

no i have never seen it in the shops. would any dish soap work, its really only for his chest?
I think any mild dish soap or baby shampoo would be fine. You want to avoid anything that says "anti-bacterial" as those may contain chemicals that are toxic to birds.

I think any mild dish soap or baby shampoo would be fine. You want to avoid anything that says "anti-bacterial" as those may contain chemicals that are toxic to birds.
thanks casportpony, ok maybe some baby shampoo would be best.

he doesnt have any deep water while he is in the house and this is just for a small area on his crop down his belly.

he is in the house for a week while the weather is cold, best his leg stays warm! Its either the house or i knit him some leg warmers!

Hi all,

Just to clarify, he is a 2 and half year old drake. His bad leg has been an issue from birth and is managed with anti inflamatories when it flares up.

this smell is a more recent thing and is very pungent, not the usuall musky oil smell that the other drakes have.

He is currently in our house (right now sat watching tv with us and his sister for company), so keeping warm after last nights warm bath.

the duck safe soap i was hoping to be recomended would be a one off as i am perfectly aware of washing oil out of feathers. He would not be back in the deeper pond untill he has fully oiled again a few days later.
In that case i would try out a baby-shampoo, those things that do not burn when you get them into your eyes and nose. Use it frugal and make sure to wash out any remains and then let him dunk his nostrils in clear water.
Has he raided you compost too, or why has he recently started to smell so bad?
And what kind of smell is it? Foul or a rotten meat smell, for example could be an indication for a hidden, inflamed wound…

Back
Top Bottom