Speckled Sussex with bantams?

It all depends on how you integrate them, I feel. :) If done properly, they should get along just fine in no time. Raising bantams and large fowl together as a group seems to be the very best option.

My flock is the definition of mixed. Everybody ranges from the larger end of the spectrum (Marans, Wyandottes, Rocks, ect.) to the smaller end (Old English Game bantams, d'Uccles, Silkies, ect.), and there are never any problems. And, yes, a lovely Sussex is included in there. :D She always tolerated her smaller flockmates nicely.

~Alex

21 hens--that might be easier said than done. You know how hard it is to find two different breeds available on the same day, but I was thinking the same way. I really am worried about the Polish. Maybe I shouldn't get one, as badly as I want one because of that possible picking issue. I'll have to really think about that one . . .I'd feel terrible if her top knot was yanked on! It might be best to just forego the Polish if that might happen. I would feel so bad.

You give me hope, Alexandra. But mine woudn't be raised together because I already have 2-4 month olds, a 2 yr. old and two 10 week olds. So the ages would all be different.
I understand it's not always possible for them to grow up together. :) And take heart, it doesn't have to be that way in order for picking to stay at a minimum. My oldest girls were almost 2 years old when I integrated the first bantams. Everything went beautifully. :D

~Alex

Bantams and Large fowl can coexist together with no problems. I have always kept both together for over 20 years with no issues. I only keep chickens as pets. I can post pix or just view my albums.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have a mixed flock of big birds and bantams, and it's fine. The SS hens are delightful! Very human interactive, and beautiful. I've never done Polish, but any birds with a topknot may have problems in a mixed flock, especially as an only individual of that type.
Mary
I have a flock of 4 hens right now. A speckled Sussex a buff Orpington and 2 bantams. I was wondering if I get a bantam rooster will it mate with the speckled Sussex or only the bantam hens.

Back
Top Bottom