Splay legs?? please help

emiliedavis

In the Brooder
May 4, 2022
Hey all! my classroom hatched some chicks & i have one who flops around to move. I put him in his own box & did some research and looks like splay leg. I put a band around his legs & he looks like he can take maybe a step (still a little floppy). Also looks like he has been rocking / walking on his knees.
Can anyone help?

18BC4514-238E-4625-ABA5-1BDFACBABFBC.jpeg
i just took this & have a little band around his legs. you can see he is rocked back on his knee

i have him banned together right now. they were out to the side a little bit before i did this

Attachments

• CF9CC28B-2434-418A-A56B-7F2E7A620F6A.jpeg
    CF9CC28B-2434-418A-A56B-7F2E7A620F6A.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 11
i still have the band on but was able to push the toes / legs down a bit. with the bands on he seems to be sitting up (on the knees?) more than what he was and seems to try an walk but doesnt seem strong enough

What I'm trying to do (and what I think @casportpony is trying to do) is see if there's anything wrong with his hips or tendons.
It would be helpful if you make sure that his legs will straighten, and nothing moves behind his hocks when you do it (slipped tendon), and he doesn't seem to be in any pain when you do it.
Please also google "slipped tendon chick" and see if it looks like what you're seeing, because his left hock does look swollen from the picture, but I'm not sure if it's just the picture.

Back
Top Bottom