Spraying eggs with warm water

willeyd

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
Hi guys. Is it good to spray eggs with a mist of warm water from day 18 onwards? The person I bought eggs off said it would help especially if I don't have a good incubator

During lockdown you should not be opening the bator up a lot. The whole point is to keep your humidity up while you are trying to finish up your hatch. Some people (myself included) like to remove chicks as they hatch. I keep my humidity at 75% during lockdown. I personally do not spray my eggs with warm water but others do when they are opening the bator during lock down to try to keep the humidity up. With my humidity up at 75% I have never had an issue with humidity getting back up when I open it up. I did have an issue getting my humidity high enough. So I actually had to fill all of my reservoirs as well as adding wet sponges. Personally I would not open my bator up to just spray with warm mist unless I was having a issue getting my humidity up and keeping it up. AND if I was having an issue keeping my humidity up when I was opening it up I would try to avoid opening it repeatedly. IMO.

During lockdown you should not be opening the bator up a lot. The whole point is to keep your humidity up while you are trying to finish up your hatch. Some people (myself included) like to remove chicks as they hatch. I keep my humidity at 75% during lockdown. I personally do not spray my eggs with warm water but others do when they are opening the bator during lock down to try to keep the humidity up. With my humidity up at 75% I have never had an issue with humidity getting back up when I open it up. I did have an issue getting my humidity high enough. So I actually had to fill all of my reservoirs as well as adding wet sponges. Personally I would not open my bator up to just spray with warm mist unless I was having a issue getting my humidity up and keeping it up. AND if I was having an issue keeping my humidity up when I was opening it up I would try to avoid opening it repeatedly. IMO.
xs 2 I have only ever talked to one other person that "misted" chicken eggs. I also run at 75% and use a couple sponges on my screen so that if I need more humidity I just grab out a sponge and rewet it to keep my humidity up there. Opening the bator to mist sounds counterproductive to me whereas if you get the humidity up and leave it you only have to worry if you open and need a boost.

Back
Top Bottom