Started on Unmedicated feed.. should I switch my 3 week olds?

Prushanks

Songster
Aug 6, 2020
I haven’t been on in a long time but I am on my second flock of ladies. I received 11- day olds from Mt. Healthy Hatchery on 3/1 so they are about 3 weeks old. This is my first time raising from hatch as my last flock were started pullets.
Would love any advice - I have been feeding them Nature’s Best Organic Chick Starter/Grower from the beginning. The are not vaccinated for Cocci and they have been in a brooder in my room with no contact (as of yet) with any soil/grass from my yard. One or two are having some questionable stools that are a reddish brown (almost exactly the color of the header on this forum!) they have the occasional yellow bubbly ones too.. though the the majority is normal.
They all seem healthy and happy so far so I’m not sure which direction to go. Treat with Corid or not, switch food or not, or any combination of the options.

My new girls (hopefully all girls!) are a Black Australorp, 2 EE, 2 OE, a welsummer, a SLRW, Cuckoo Maran, Noir Maran, Amberlink, RIB. The ones showing the most curious, outgoing personalities are the BA, RIB and the Amberlink!
Thanks for any assistance!
- Wendy

I haven’t been on in a long time but I am on my second flock of ladies. I received 11- day olds from Mt. Healthy Hatchery on 3/1 so they are about 3 weeks old. This is my first time raising from hatch as my last flock were started pullets.
Would love any advice - I have been feeding them Nature’s Best Organic Chick Starter/Grower from the beginning. The are not vaccinated for Cocci and they have been in a brooder in my room with no contact (as of yet) with any soil/grass from my yard. One or two are having some questionable stools that are a reddish brown (almost exactly the color of the header on this forum!) they have the occasional yellow bubbly ones too.. though the the majority is normal.
They all seem healthy and happy so far so I’m not sure which direction to go. Treat with Corid or not, switch food or not, or any combination of the options.

My new girls (hopefully all girls!) are a Black Australorp, 2 EE, 2 OE, a welsummer, a SLRW, Cuckoo Maran, Noir Maran, Amberlink, RIB. The ones showing the most curious, outgoing personalities are the BA, RIB and the Amberlink!
Thanks for any assistance!
- Wendy
Treating for cocci wouldn't hurt anything anyways so you could treat for safety measures. You could get them some vitamins to see if it does anything, as for some yellow poop its normal if its only occasional.

I'm guessing that yellow bubbly poop stunk to high heaven. They have what's called a cecal poop about every 10 poops. Those reek!

Are they showing any symptoms of anything?

Generally, their starter feed and clean water is all they really need but like Purlychicks said above, maybe try some vitamins. I've occasionally given mine some Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell in their water. The older ones, I use Rooster Booster granules in their feed. I'm a little more worried about vitamin deficiencies though as these are silkies. Otherwise, I still would give it to them once a week or so, just for the extra help getting stronger.

I'd keep an eye on their poops, but some other symptoms of Cocci are them standing around listless all fluffed up, head down.

Back
Top Bottom