Blondie

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Sharpsburg, Georgia
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

I don't know where to turn. When we moved here in December, within a week a stray cat showed up. We didn't feed her for 2 days hoping she would go "home". She didn't. We even drove a couple miles away and dropped her off near the former owner-of-this-house thinking she belonged there and would go "home". She found her way back!

Since then we have been feeding her and giving her shelter.

I think she is old and cannot see very well.

She is getting meaner and meaner. She is terrorizing my other cats, practically holds us humans hostage in the house because she wants to come in and guards the doors. Even when we run to another door, she's there! We've let her in a couple of times because of bad weather, but she is mean and has no manners (jumping on the kitchen counter, etc.) She is destroying our screens and doors.

This morning was the last straw with her fighting (again) with my sweet Macy - a tortie cat who wouldn't hurt anything!! My two cats are just so "beaten down" and sad. They cannot go outside and just hang out without being stalked and attacked. This cat will even swipe and bite at us.

What should I do??? I got on the county animal control website, but it is so sad! I know if I bring her there it will be a death sentence. I cannot give her away through craigslist or anywhere else because she is mean.

I guess I am looking for validation to bring her to the county animal control.......
hit.gif

What about your local vets office? Mine will take in a stray if they have room. I know you don't want to take it to the animal shelter, but if your cats are stressed and unhappy.....
sad.png

We had two cats of ours disappear about 4 years ago. Well a month ago animal contol called to say the found tennesse and did we want to come pick him up. We said he has been missing for 4 years what shape is he in. They said he had been living behind a school in silver springs that is about 15 miles from us. Said he seem to be a little wild and that they couldn't really tell me if he was ok health wise. I think someone stole them they were manx's breed with no tail. Said to call them back the next day with a answer. My dad wanted to get him but I said no we have 3 other cats and if he's sick they might get sick too. Then if he's wild he won't stay on the property either. So we call and told them to put him down it was to much of a risk to our other pets & chickens. It would be for the best in my opinion.

My sister lives in Binghamton,NY and a feral stray cat got into her house and ended up scratching her on the scalp. She had to go get the Rabies Series of shots, because it was a stray! The bad news is it's still in her house down in her basement and nobody will help her get it out!!! Animal control, Police, Humane Society, all said it wasn't their problem. So the reason I'm telling you this is that 1, you don't know this cat, 2, has it had shots?, 3 what about your other cats?. The cat could very well be sick which is making it mean. I'd at least try the Vet's office if nothing else. Let me know how you made out!!! Pegbo:/

You could also take her to your vet's and have her humanely euthanized. If she goes to the humane society and is sick or mean, they will be unable to rehome her and will euthanize her anyway. It is too great a risk to your animals and family to have an unstable animal like that around
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Good luck with whatever you choose.......

Please don't think that bringing a cat to a shelter is an automatic death sentence. No one is more heartbroken when an animal has to be euthanised than a shelter worker is, and most do everything possible to keep it from happening. I've never met anyone to date to whom euthanasia has become a casual action.
I volunteer in the cat rooms, and have seen many vicious, scrawny, vermin-ridden creatures come in. They act like this because they are terrified, hungry and have been in survival mode for so long it has become habit. Most will mellow after a period in a safe place where food is plentiful. They will never become cuddle kittens, but not everyone is looking for that in a cat, and they can still be adoptable.
If you know for SURE that your local shelter is not a well run place, then I think it would be kindest to ask your vet to put the creature down. It doesn't sound as if this is a true feral cat, or it wouldn't be trying to get into your house so desperately. Therefore, it probably doesn't really have the skills to care for itself outside. It may also be reproducing more unfortunate homeless felines, as well as possibly spreading rabies, distemper, etc., etc.

I had a stray here when we moved in, I think she was the previous owners but they left her behind. She was not spayed and I didn't have the money at that time to have it done and adopting her was out of the question because I already had 3 others. My sis-inlaw has a horse farm that she said she would take it in, it could live in the barn and catch mice and have a nice warm spot in the winter. I drove the cat over there, it was approx 10 miles away. The cat never stayed, but it never returned here either. I think the distance was too far. Mabey you didn't drive her far enough away? I know it's sad to make your problem someone else's problem. But I know how you feel. Whoever decides to make this cat there problem my have the cat put down too, but you'll never know about it. Sometimes it's better that way. Not fare, just better. Good Luck!

I think it would be better (and a more human thing to do) to put her down than to drive her out and dump her someplace and let her starve, get run over by a car or torn up by something bigger than her.

PLEASE PLEASE!!! do not take her and just dump her!! I have people in my town that dump their animals and I have to deal with them. It's more humane to take them to the shelter rather than them starving to death!!!!

Back
Top Bottom