Stressed chicken?

Have you seen the gapeworm in her throat, or are you just assuming because of her gasping? If she is only doing this at night when she is locked up in the shed, I'd be concerned about the ventilation inside. If you have seen gapeworm, then you will need a de-wormer.

How much ventilation is in the shed, and what kind of bedding are you are using? How many hens are in your flock, and how big is the shed? Over crowding & poor ventilation will cause respiratory issues. The vent gleet could be due to parasite overload, but also could be due to stress. If the bath is causing her additional stress and she is already lethargic, it may be better to wait until the respiratory issues are resolved.
What do you feed her, and how is she eating & drinking?

Have you seen the gapeworm in her throat, or are you just assuming because of her gasping? If she is only doing this at night when she is locked up in the shed, I'd be concerned about the ventilation inside. If you have seen gapeworm, then you will need a de-wormer.

How much ventilation is in the shed, and what kind of bedding are you are using? How many hens are in your flock, and how big is the shed? Over crowding & poor ventilation will cause respiratory issues. The vent gleet could be due to parasite overload, but also could be due to stress. If the bath is causing her additional stress and she is already lethargic, it may be better to wait until the respiratory issues are resolved.
What do you feed her, and how is she eating & drinking?
the only ventilation in there during the day when I open doors. I had 4 other chickens in there and they didn’t have any problems. Maybe I’ll put her and the other chicken in there in the coop at night! I use pine bedding. I think the shed area is about 16x 10.

I’ve been feeding her the chic starter which has higher protein mixed with layer and pellet feed. I have been seeing her eat and drink during the day.

I think I’ll transfer into a crate tonight and put her in with the rest of the chickens in tge coop

Have you ever wormed the flock? Does she lay and has she laid recently?
I have never wormed the flock. No one else seems to have any issues. She has not been laying recently. And maybe that was due to stress and it being winter because I had one chicken that was isolated in the shed didn’t for like two weeks straight and then when I put her in with the rest of the chickens in a crate she laid almost everyday.

That’s why right now I’m wondering if it’s stress with this one gal. One night just before I close the door and light off to the shed she was acting like she wanted to fly out of the crate I have her in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    828.9 KB · Views: 8
I have never wormed the flock. No one else seems to have any issues. She has not been laying recently. And maybe that was due to stress and it being winter because I had one chicken that was isolated in the shed didn’t for like two weeks straight and then when I put her in with the rest of the chickens in a crate she laid almost everyday.

That’s why right now I’m wondering if it’s stress with this one gal. One night just before I close the door and light off to the shed she was acting like she wanted to fly out of the crate I have her in.
It very well could be stress.

It very well could be stress.
During lunch, I’m planning on putting this chicken outside in the run in her crate. And I will put her in the coop tonight with everyone else, but in her crate, of course because she’s not been in there a while.

I just witnessed her trying to jump up onto this little bar I had in the big crate so I’m almost wondering if I might wanna let her into the coop without anyone else in there and see if she likes roaming around in there. Or maybe when everyone goes back in the coop later I can let her run around in the run. Everyone usually comes in after 7.

That's great. She probably doesn't need to be seperated. I'd also stop the "magic water", it's not really gonna help.
Do they live in that structure in you basement(?)
That bigger structure of a crate was in the shed, which doesn’t have any windows. It has a little bit of ventilation on the top, but not a lot. I had other chickens in here and they didn’t seem to have any issues. they were in the shed in the winter time and I never open the doors because of the wind and everything, but there were still a little draft coming in, but not a lot that would make them sick with the heat there’s not as much coming in I don’t know if that makes any sense

That bigger structure of a crate was in the shed, which doesn’t have any windows. It has a little bit of ventilation on the top, but not a lot. I had other chickens in here and they didn’t seem to have any issues. they were in the shed in the winter time and I never open the doors because of the wind and everything, but there were still a little draft coming in, but not a lot that would make them sick with the heat there’s not as much coming in I don’t know if that makes any sense
Can you increase the ventilation? They need lots of ventilation, at least 1 square foot per bird, don't worry about drafts as long as they're above their heads or below them.

Back
Top Bottom