Sulfer Well Water..??

MakNat

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Ky
I tried searching this. My Mom just passed and her wish was for me to take over her farm. There is a sulfer well in the back yard where the chickens and duckswill be staying. Is it safe for them to drink??? We had it running when I was a kid, but just to the house and to the livestock, never to poultry. Was hoping this could be my main water source to the birds. Does anyone know??

You could use it. I'd get an inexpensive water filtration system. These use a Brita type charcoal filter, but on a larger scale. Chickens drink a lot, but a couple gallons a day wouldn't be an enormous task to filter nor overly pricey. It'll remove the sulphur smell. Don't blame you. That rich sulphur odor could possibly taint the eggs? Who knows, but still. Yuck.

Mine have been drinking water with hydrogen sulfide for a year and have had no problems at all. If you use the big plastic jug style waterers, the smell will dissipate naturally, and adding a bit of apple cider vinegar seems to help too, if you're concerned about the chickens rejecting it based on odor.

Heck yeah. Put on a filter like Fred said and water away.
smile.png
If it's good for me and the family, the chickens had best get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom