Swedes? Rouens? Golden 300 Hybrids? Duckling ID

bigtrout

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
NW PA
Hi all, made the mistake of going to tractor supply today...and ended up with six more ducklings...they had all ducklings in one tub...labeled khaki campbells and blue swedes, these were two seperate weekly shipments from the hatchery. I guess they were not selling they had them marked down to $2 each. Well I have room so decided to take six to a better place ;) got three black swedes...colored correctly. Already have khaki campbells so passed on the two of those that were in the tub....but there were some in there that were not swedes...at least I don't think so.
I got three of those...but can't for the life of me figure out what breed...I am assuming that coming from a hatchery they must be pure bred but have no idea what they are.

Duckling color...body is light grey/blue with pale yellow undertones if u look close they have the standard mallard colors with the yellow dots on the back but instead of blackish brown they are very pale grey..head is yellow...bill dark brown...feet are darkish brown/orange mottled...no bib...but here's the strange thing...head is pale yellow with double dark eye stripes like a rouen. Tractor Supply clerk said that the black swedes and these ducks were in a shipment marked blue swedes. Any ideas anyone...ill post pics when I can?

Last edited:
They could be a different color phase of Rouens. My Storey's Guide has a pic of Blue Fawn and Pastel Rouens (pic is black and white but looks similar)

I'd say Rouen over Mallard as they have 2 eye stripes but they could be Mallards. Are they the same size as the swedish? If they are then I'd really say Rouen. If they are smaller, Mallards.

Buffs aren't that dark as ducklings.

They are the same size as the swedes...and the pic doesn't really capture the color quite correctly...they are a few shades lighter than the pic makes them look.

They are the same color that blue swede ducklings should be...only with eye stripes...

Whatever they are...hopefully they like to lay eggs as I keep my flock as egg layers/pets/pest control.

I read about light phase rouens too...perhaps...but they seem too spry...they are fast little buggers...could they be runners?

Hard to say...they are in that week old stage where they sleep during the day and party at night...they are fairly upright when they zip around though...and they seem faster than the swedes they are pictured with...

LOL. I know what you mean. It could be a runner with that coloring but they aren't that common in the states so I think it would be highly unlikely to have found them at TSC. Who knows for sure. Maybe you'll get a great surprise as they grow. ;)

I would think that light phase or pastel rouens would be just as unlikely...maybe just poorly bred swedes?

Back
Top Bottom