The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I was thinking of the following breeding plan.

1) Improve RIRs and eventually introduce Rosecomb genes. But for now quality Single Comb okay.

2) Improve RIW and get them properly Rosecombed… so annoying hatcheries are selling non SOP single combs only. Trying again to get eggs.

3) Down the road be able to breed my own sexlinks with rosecombs, with NN would be awesome. Just saying. 😂
Always remember to keep a pure line to work with...dont waste all your stock on a few crossbreedings just for experience...try to keep or improve any breed, always

A bunch of the eggs we ordered arrived, no red eggs yet… all eggs are getting marked as to breed, date of arrival and name. Right now we have bantam D’Uccle, RIW and Ayams in the incubator in intensive care mode… trying something new with the incubation process hopefully that will improve the chances... instead of on their sides, upright and no turning or moving them for three days. I candled them all, we only had one clearly damaged RIW egg which we tossed. Most how ever had air pockets that did not stay put. We did let them rest too, hopefully long enough (we always do that).

We decided to order another incubator as we had big issues with one. But with RIRs and Saipan eggs on the way too we may need to use incubator #2 at least at first.

Thought you guys might like to see the Buckeyes… I will get pictures of the RIW nonSOP birds another day…. But this is how the two Buckeyes are looking.
5447B039-3FD6-42B3-B0F4-2C01489F72C7.jpeg
BF7D3FCA-B8DB-4FF5-A96E-D8AC3F9B8430.jpeg
FB7DB916-1B60-4B3B-A089-0600971B5A13.jpeg
87F48A5F-E8A4-4C25-9849-B037D557CE4E.jpeg

Nice birds USMC1stSgt… beautiful

So far on our eggs hatching no joy on either RIR or RIW… we will keep trying, darn incubator problems including power outage this year has not helped. We do have one breed that has hatched successfully 3 eggs the Ayams… but for what ever reason been no joy so far on the Rhodes. We will order more eggs if nothing hatches out of incubator 2&3. I am trying to get better quality birds for both breeds… the few whites I have are way not SOP either… both groups need improvement. I think my hatchery white chicks besides being the wrong comb type are white legged! I am hoping to be able to hatch some good heritage or exhibition line chicks of both breeds. I have a friend in another area of CA having same issue no good Reds anywhere, just production birds.

So far just these two…
11841AED-6934-4884-A8FD-B816E1083828.jpeg

I am hoping incubator 3 hatches an egg or two, hopefully another will hatch in 2. But with all the problems this year… these two maybe the last from #2 incubator. #2 hatched 1 Ayam that failed to thrive (it never opened it eyes… we tried feeding it with dropper… it just died), 1 RIR, 1 RIW and 1 Spitzhauben. #1 hatched 1 deformed D’Uccle died, attempted hatching by another D’Uccle hemorrhaged in egg (so D’Uccles were a bust), 2 Ayams hatched healthy, we are waiting on #3 incubator… which has Spitz, RIR, and Saipan eggs… but who knows. Then we will consider how to proceed…

Well I still need RIR cockerel, the red chick vanished… so either kids won’t tell me what happened to it or they don’t know. We can’t find it anywhere which is weird as the brooder is in my house. All the other chicks are there. So ticked off about the missing chick. I kept finding the cage top not on right because my 14 year olds were not putting lid back on right while I was at work. Waiting to see how the RIW chick matures. Another 12 RIW eggs showed up so they are incubating.

Back
Top Bottom