Try and get a picture. We have at least 3-4 different wood peckers that come to the feeders and some of the females haven't any red on their heads.
I tried many times, but that birb is illusive…
However, i looked at pictures in the internet and found this one of a female and male Red-Bellied Woodpecker. The illusive bird is a female Red-Bellied Woodpecker.
red_bellied_woodpecker_by@write2mad_intobirds_web.jpg

Male and female can be distinguished very easy: The female bird is nagging and the male is ignoring her, staring holes into the air...

Are woodpeckers a desired bird to find around or a pest bird?
Very desired bird! - Unless you like crawling through the woods once a year to remove any dead trees before all the insect larvae hatch and start to attack the healthy trees.
Woodpeckers rarely bore holes into healthy trees, the bore to get insect larvae out (which have already ruined the wood!) and they bore their nesting holes usually into damaged or dead trees.

Happy Wednesday Everybody!
Even though it is almost Thursday here…
Been very busy outside today, i managed to unclog the garden hose, unfortunately i missed some water inside and during the frost it busted the hose. (hose-mender required 😖)
But i could fill up the duck's bathtub with fresh water, which was greatly appreciated by the Ducknagers who tried to get into the tub all at once:
And while they were using each other as pool-floats and played with curly pool-noodles i grabbed a spade and dug out the first tomato-beds for the next season.
full

The trench will be filled with compost and a trellis at the north-side will be added for support. I will use 5' wired fence and a couple of tree-trunk-posts to build the trellis. Not sure about the exact angle and distances between the beds, but i am planning on 5 beds, 3 meters (10') long which should be good for ~50 plants.

Back
Top Bottom