i’m very sad 😞
i had to put down my little blue runner duck today
The one that was blind in one eye
She was only four years old
I used to have two blue runners, but the other one died about six months ago
Daffy was being chased around the yard by the chickens
I ran out to see what was going on and she had a horrible, bloody shredded up prolapse 😭
I knew right away. It was too far gone, and too much of it was pulled out.
So I rushed to put her out of her misery
I used the broomstick method turned out to be traumatic for both of us
I will never use that method again. I’d rather have a sharp axe ready .
Even if I do get splashed in the face with blood, at least I will know it was quick and complete.
i’m really sad. 😞
I am so sorry @Jenbirdee. :hugs That had to be awful for you and her.
If you ever have to do this again there is a much better way. I thought I gave the link to you when you were thinking you might have to put down Poppy. I haven't had to use it on any of my ducks but have used it on a few chickens. They just gently go to sleep.

i’m very sad 😞
I ran out to see what was going on and she had a horrible, bloody shredded up prolapse 😭
Even if I do get splashed in the face with blood, at least I will know it was quick and complete.
i’m really sad. 😞
:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

i’m very sad 😞
i’m really sad. 😞
I'm so sorry!!! 🫂

i’m very sad 😞
i’m really sad. 😞
🫂😢

i’m still very torn up about Daffy and decided in her memory i’m going to get the supplies ready to use ether next time if there is a next time ever. @Miss Lydia what brand of starting fluid did you get is this good?
https://a.co/d/6VLrvC0
i have containers like tubs and totes and coolers with lids and i have shop rags i just re read the article by @duluthralphie but still have questions like how much of the spray for one chicken or duck or what about a goose ? would i need to use a whole can? should i buy 2 cans? ( i’m in tight budget now but this is a necessity for me to have it in hand because when an animal is in a lot of pain and suffering, I don’t wanna make it wait for an hour and a half, while I drive to a store and back)

i’m still very torn up about Daffy and decided in her memory i’m going to get the supplies ready to use ether next time if there is a next time ever. @Miss Lydia what brand of starting fluid did you get is this good?
https://a.co/d/6VLrvC0
i have containers like tubs and totes and coolers with lids and i have shop rags i just re read the article by @duluthralphie but still have questions like how much of the spray for one chicken or duck or what about a goose ? would i need to use a whole can? should i buy 2 cans? ( i’m in tight budget now but this is a necessity for me to have it in hand because when an animal is in a lot of pain and suffering, I don’t wanna make it wait for an hour and a half, while I drive to a store and back)
That will work @Jenbirdee.I actually bought a case. 12 cans about 4 yrs ago, so I wouldn't have to worry about not having any. I use the whole can probably not necessary but I don't want anyone to be almost gone when I open the tote. And I haven't Had one still alive when I have opened the tote. Wow so expensive I'd check around you just want to make sure you buy the starter with ether . I always had to depend on my dh to euthinize one of my birds if it was sick and or suffering Now I can do it still not easy but at least it's a painless ordeal.

Last edited:
That will work @Jenbirdee.I actually bought a case. 12 cans about 4 yrs ago, so I wouldn't have to worry about not having any. I use the whole can probably not necessary but I don't want anyone to be almost gone when I open the tote. And I haven't Had one still alive when I have opened the tote. Wow so expensive I'd check around you just want to make sure you buy the starter with ether . I always had to depend on my dh to euthinize one of my birds if it was sick and or suffering Now I can do it still not easy but at least it's a painless ordeal.
thanks i found walmart had one 50% either and costs half that. i’m getting 6 cans. another question i have is how much bigger the containers should be than the animals. as in what percentage of the entire container space does the duck/or other animal take up? 1/4 maybe?

I am so sorry @Jenbirdee. :hugs That had to be awful for you and her.
If you ever have to do this again there is a much better way. I thought I gave the link to you when you were thinking you might have to put down Poppy. I haven't had to use it on any of my ducks but have used it on a few chickens. They just gently go to sleep.
Wow Miss Lydia, can you share that link. I have never had to do that but it would be nice to have just in case a person would need to in an emergency situation.

Back
Top Bottom