Things I don't feed my chickens😊

A mule can't really be considered it's own species. It's capable of mating. But it's infertile.
A broiler may not even fit into the category of capable of mating. Because you say it's such an abomination.
The geneticists behind these birds would know if the chromosome count, eggs and sperm are capable of producing fertile offspring probably. But they arent sharing.
Maybe someone here has managed to raise broilers long enough to find out.

It seems the idea of the definition was that if the animal can naturally replicate itself, its a species. Broiler definitely doesn't fit this category. But then again, nor do some dog breeds. Humans are odd at times.

It gets to a point where is scientific semantics and good sense goes out the window. Much like many things science, some interests wonder if the can without stopping to wonder if they should.

It seems to be getting worse of recent years.
I bred a broiler. To another of my (non broiler) birds. Part of my culling project - and then spent the next several generations trying to get the Dominant White trait out -which proved persistent, unlike their early development and monster size genes.

I bred a broiler. To another of my (non broiler) birds. Part of my culling project - and then spent the next several generations trying to get the Dominant White trait out -which proved persistent, unlike their early development and monster size genes.
I can't find the relevant bit of that very long thread; can you direct me to the right bit, or search term, because 'broiler' doesn't find your discussion of breeding one?

Last edited:
I'd happily have twice as many semi self sufficient birds for the same number of eggs as hybrid layers or high performance heritage. I'm sure many keepers with acreage would.
I'm sure there is a heritage breed like that. I just don't know which ones they are, such info doesn't seem to be a priority in breed profiles. Or maybe it's more of an individual bird thing. Difficult to select for in breed development?
Maybe I should start a topic?
Several people here are working on it. There are breeds out there advertised to forage, etc., but they've been bred for appearance and a breed standard for so long that the traits that made them successful as a breed are mostly gone.

Once the initial mixes are established I'll be selecting for broodiness, cold and heat tolerance, ability to thrive on forage. Right now I am culling or rehoming any bird with obvious defects, including illness and agression (including bullying behavior).

It's referred to as landrace or adaptive breeding. I want a healthy, locally adapted "variety" which will out-breed the predators, provide meat and eggs, and thrive on forage. In later stages of the project longevity in laying will be a focus.

Several people here are working on it. There are breeds out there advertised to forage, etc., but they've been bred for appearance and a breed standard for so long that the traits that made them successful as a breed are mostly gone.

Once the initial mixes are established I'll be selecting for broodiness, cold and heat tolerance, ability to thrive on forage. Right now I am culling or rehoming any bird with obvious defects, including illness and agression (including bullying behavior).

It's referred to as landrace or adaptive breeding. I want a healthy, locally adapted "variety" which will out-breed the predators, provide meat and eggs, and thrive on forage. In later stages of the project longevity in laying will be a focus.
I'm one of those searching for a landrace. Its a long process.

I'm one of those searching for a landrace. Its a long process.
Adaptation comes first. They have to be a good fit for your environment. That's one of the problems I'm running into. A bird perfectly adapted for one area may be a dud in another.

One thing I would love to find is a population that truly hunts mice. I mixed in several breeds that were advertised to be excellent hunters and foragers, but either my birds were an abberation or those traits have been bred out. One guess.

Back
Top Bottom