Thinking about ducks...

bayouchica

Songster
13 Years
Jan 23, 2007
N.E. Louisiana
Hi yall, I've been thinking about getting some more ducks.It's been over three years since I had any.I've always got either Pekins or Mallards... want to get a different breed (s)
smile.png

Hopefully can talk hubby into it.
wink.png

What breed is friendly,good hatchery to get some, got to get along with chickens...
I live on a bayou & they will have the freedom to come & go when they are older, but would love to train them to come home at night.
Any advice???
Thanks, Miriam

I have Pekins and they're all pretty friendly - though I raised them from babies - which definitely helps
smile.png
They like to follow me around the yard and "talk" to me. I got mine from our local feedstore, which gets their birds from a hatchery in New Mexico.

I'm interested in getting some campbells or runner ducks, just because I've never seen them in real life before and I find their colors interesting.

All of my animals have learned to go inside their respective places in the barn at night, so I'm sure you could get your duckies to come home when it gets dark. Just teach them early on that this is where their food, water, and beds are and they should return...hopefully...
wink.png
I guess I really don't have any "good" advice for you! ~ Oaknim

We ordered Muscovies online because I have read they survive well in the woods. Muscovies are supposed to be "tree ducks" as opposed to 'water ducks' and therefore will hang around the farm and not just around water. Ours are scheduled to arrive around the third week of June.

There is a post that someone put up that Ideal is running a duck special right now for 1.75 a piece. I don't know how long it will run for. Uh oh sorry if I am helping you get in trouble with your other half.
wee.gif

edbama2, yeah, I haven't mentioned getting ducks to him yet.
roll.png

He's working on another coop for all these new chickens... well if we can't this year, maybe next spring for sure. We're wanting to build a pier & I'd like it to be duck friendly, with ramps and nest boxes etc....
Miriam

I have a huge pond in my yard (well for the size of my yard it is huge
big_smile.png
) and my ducks generally stay in the yard. I have 2 pekin one mallard and one speckled belly. I need to buy me some females!!!

I have heard that you have to be careful about putting the babies on the water. I was told that snapping turtles will eat their little feet. True?

Absolutely. Snapping turtles can be deadly to ducks and geese. They will eat babies and mangle the feet and legs of adults. Many of the rescuers and rehabbers in our Duck Rescue organization deal with this on an ongoing basis. It iaheartbreaking and the pics are awful.

Back
Top Bottom