Tobramycin & chicks?

TJAnonymous

Enabler
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
I have a chick that is almost 3 weeks old and has had a weepy eye since the day after it was born. I've tried Theracyn gel and Terramycin. It did start to improve with the Terramycin but hasn't gone away completely.

Today I found some actual prescription ophthalmic solution that my vet prescribed for my cat. Could this be used on the chick?

20210324_160149.jpg

20210326_112113.jpg

Do you have any history of your birds having a respiratory infection? Are these your eggs?

Sorry, I didn't realize someone had replied! Thank you!

No history of respiratory infection. These are 4 week old Silkies that I hatched from shipped eggs. They have not been exposed to any other chickens. I just moved them to their own coop today. I have treated the chick twice with the Tobramycin. She is looking better. Not as weepy although it still isn't 100% normal yet.

Tobramycin for Chickens and Ducks - PoultryDVM

http://www.poultrydvm.com › drugs › tobramycin

Tobramycin is an aminoglycoside, broad-spectrum antibiotic used in combination with other antibiotics to treat urinary tract infections, peritonitis, cloacal ...

Doesn't exactly answer your question, and I suspect this isn't talking about the Ophthalmic version. But it does show it is used for chickens in some form.

The eye wasn't getting any better so I figured I didn't have much to lose. It is also much easier to apply than the Terramycin because it isn't a gel. When I put the Terramycin on her eye, she would scratch at it. If I held her to prevent her from scratching, she would just wait until the minute I set her down. With the Tobramycin, she doesn't scratch. Doesn't act like it bothers her at all...

Sorry, I didn't realize someone had replied! Thank you!

No history of respiratory infection. These are 4 week old Silkies that I hatched from shipped eggs. They have not been exposed to any other chickens. I just moved them to their own coop today. I have treated the chick twice with the Tobramycin. She is looking better. Not as weepy although it still isn't 100% normal yet.
They have msg come from a flock that had a respiratory disease, which is MG as that passes through the eggs to the offspring. I hope your birds aren’t for breeding to sell or giveaway roosters or anything for others, because you’ll just infect others flocks and be reported for giving away or selling sick animals.

They have msg come from a flock that had a respiratory disease, which is MG as that passes through the eggs to the offspring. I hope your birds aren’t for breeding to sell or giveaway roosters or anything for others, because you’ll just infect others flocks and be reported for giving away or selling sick animals.
How do you know they have msg? The hatching eggs came from a very well known reputable breeder. This breeder also sells live chicks nationally and locally. None of the other chicks have this issue...and NONE of the chicks, this one included, are showing any kind of respiratory issues.

I don't understand how or why you think a chick with a weepy eye has this disease or what it is? Can you please provide a link to information about it?

How do you know they have msg? The hatching eggs came from a very well known reputable breeder. This breeder also sells live chicks nationally and locally. None of the other chicks have this issue...and NONE of the chicks, this one included, are showing any kind of respiratory issues.

I don't understand how or why you think a chick with a weepy eye has this disease or what it is? Can you please provide a link to information about it?
Yes I’ll provide links below. In MOST cases, MG or some other respiratory disease causes issues with the eyes such as bubbling, foaming, watery, red, drooping, swelling around the eyes or sinus cavity, etc.. it is possible for chicks to hatch with deformities or get something in their eye or even injured itself. Only by getting a PCR test by your state veterinarian can confirm wether it’s MG or not. Not all symptoms show in diseases with chickens, some never show anything. What I’m saying is, just because MG involves sneezing, coughing, etc, it doesn’t mean it may or may not have the disease.

Here's some good links about MG:

Back
Top Bottom