Toys and enrichment?

I have seen swings specially made for chickens. I have one and my girls were not so interested but you have to start them young and I did not. I found if I move the setup in their run once every other month or so they are always like hey?! This is different. My favorite boredom buster “the Rooting box”. I made a 4ftx4ftx2ft frame no bottom and I throw a little straw (no hay it mats) with scratch buried in it. They love it. I don’t do it every day but when I do I toss another flake in bury more scratch. They go to town on it. They use their natural curiosity and forging skills as if they were out foraging freely only in the safety of their hen house. It also reduces bullying. You would be surprised how they break the straw down and they love to lounge in it. Great for your compost when you change it out….looks like you mulched it. If I tell them to get in the rootin box they do that ( I know it’s hard to believe huh?). I also recycled a pond insert (2ft wide about 10inches deep) and keep it full of dirt they dust bathe everyday. I hope this helps.

I have seen swings specially made for chickens. I have one and my girls were not so interested but you have to start them young and I did not. I found if I move the setup in their run once every other month or so they are always like hey?! This is different. My favorite boredom buster “the Rooting box”. I made a 4ftx4ftx2ft frame no bottom and I throw a little straw (no hay it mats) with scratch buried in it. They love it. I don’t do it every day but when I do I toss another flake in bury more scratch. They go to town on it. They use their natural curiosity and forging skills as if they were out foraging freely only in the safety of their hen house. It also reduces bullying. You would be surprised how they break the straw down and they love to lounge in it. Great for your compost when you change it out….looks like you mulched it. If I tell them to get in the rootin box they do that ( I know it’s hard to believe huh?). I also recycled a pond insert (2ft wide about 10inches deep) and keep it full of dirt they dust bathe everyday. I hope this helps.
This works great too especially if it is hung to swing. Their little heads bobbing for it 😂. I use cucumbers corn on the cob or stuff it with a chunk of lettuce or cabbage. It was designed for squirrels but it works great! You can easily get it a a hardware..feed store and inexpensive.

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpeg
    IMG_0479.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 4
I tried a number of toys when I first got my chicks. They never really cared for anything I put in with them. So, I gave up on the toys idea.

What seems to work great for me is a pallet wood compost bin with the front panel cut down in half, and then taking that half of the pallet and putting it on top of the bin. The chickens love to sit on top of the bin and sun themselves on a warm day. If it gets too hot, they jump inside of the bin under the shade.

I had a big branch fall off a tree. Dear Wife and I dragged it into the chicken run, and they like to roost on that as well.

I let some wild junk trees grow in the run. They provide some shade for the chickens on a hot day. I just keep the tops clipped off because I have bird netting at 6 foot high.

I made a grazing frame where fresh grass grows in the run. They like to eat any blades sticking through the wire early in the morning before it's all gone. I might make a smaller grazing frame this year and plant something like barely, wheat, or oats in it.

The best thing for my chickens is that I converted my entire chicken run into a composting system. I dump all my leaves, weeds, grass clippings, old coop litter, and just about anything else organic into the run. The chicken run litter is full of tasty bugs and juicy worms. My hens spend most of the day scratching and pecking in the compost litter finding good things to eat, all the while making great compost for my gardens to feed my family. That's a real win-win in my book.

When the chickens have access to the chicken run compost litter in the non-snow months, my commercial feed bill is cut in half. I think a lot of that is due to them finding stuff to eat in the compost litter all day long.

They also dig holes in the compost for dust bathing. They do that a lot. I don't have any need for special dust bathing boxes or anything like that. They have some dust holes out in the full sun, and other dust holes under the shade.

I live on a lake, and we have hawks and bald eagles overhead all the time. So, I never let my chickens out of their run to free range in the yard. I'm sure they would like to free range on my property if it was safe for them. But I bring the free range to them with all the leaves, grass clippings, etc...

I think my chickens are happy. They are always busy scratching and pecking in the compost litter all day till they go back into the coop for the night. They have a good life full of chicken activities.

I tried a number of toys when I first got my chicks. They never really cared for anything I put in with them. So, I gave up on the toys idea.

What seems to work great for me is a pallet wood compost bin with the front panel cut down in half, and then taking that half of the pallet and putting it on top of the bin. The chickens love to sit on top of the bin and sun themselves on a warm day. If it gets too hot, they jump inside of the bin under the shade.

I had a big branch fall off a tree. Dear Wife and I dragged it into the chicken run, and they like to roost on that as well.

I let some wild junk trees grow in the run. They provide some shade for the chickens on a hot day. I just keep the tops clipped off because I have bird netting at 6 foot high.

I made a grazing frame where fresh grass grows in the run. They like to eat any blades sticking through the wire early in the morning before it's all gone. I might make a smaller grazing frame this year and plant something like barely, wheat, or oats in it.

The best thing for my chickens is that I converted my entire chicken run into a composting system. I dump all my leaves, weeds, grass clippings, old coop litter, and just about anything else organic into the run. The chicken run litter is full of tasty bugs and juicy worms. My hens spend most of the day scratching and pecking in the compost litter finding good things to eat, all the while making great compost for my gardens to feed my family. That's a real win-win in my book.

When the chickens have access to the chicken run compost litter in the non-snow months, my commercial feed bill is cut in half. I think a lot of that is due to them finding stuff to eat in the compost litter all day long.

They also dig holes in the compost for dust bathing. They do that a lot. I don't have any need for special dust bathing boxes or anything like that. They have some dust holes out in the full sun, and other dust holes under the shade.

I live on a lake, and we have hawks and bald eagles overhead all the time. So, I never let my chickens out of their run to free range in the yard. I'm sure they would like to free range on my property if it was safe for them. But I bring the free range to them with all the leaves, grass clippings, etc...

I think my chickens are happy. They are always busy scratching and pecking in the compost litter all day till they go back into the coop for the night. They have a good life full of chicken activities.
Hi
Sounds like well cared for chickens! Appears a lot of effort has went into to making them content and happy.I would love to have a grassy grazing area but my chicken house is 10x26 with a solid shingled roof (matches our house) so it doesn’t get enough sun to grow anything. Yes we have an issue with hawks too! My hens are never unattended when out. We constructed a “playpen” with a sunshade tarp over it (hawk protection)..it’s 4ftx9ft out of two old dog kennels. I guess you could call it a chicken tractor and we move it around each day (only 5 hens) so it works well. Sounds like you have a good plan.

We have sandboxes and roost bars. This seems boring to me. Does anyone use parrot toys or any other fun things? They like to pick at my jewelry and buttons on my pants 😂 One even stole a nail I was holding (I got it back) so I’m thinking shiny things would be a hit. They don’t look at the mirror much anymore. They are 7 weeks old.
I throw a cabbage in most weeks, Savoy is their favourite But any old cabbage will do. Usually gone within an hour or so. 12 birds, RIR, Legbar and Nankin.

Interestingly, my Australian chickens won't touch red cabbage, or red lettuce, but go mad for a suspended green cabbage or lettuce. I also put a skewer through a sweet corn, or zucchini (might be you call them courgettes) and suspend them and they really love them. A big bundle of straw gives them hours of amusement, and I am about to throw in a large stuffed toy and see what they do with that.

We have sandboxes and roost bars. This seems boring to me. Does anyone use parrot toys or any other fun things? They like to pick at my jewelry and buttons on my pants 😂 One even stole a nail I was holding (I got it back) so I’m thinking shiny things would be a hit. They don’t look at the mirror much anymore. They are 7 weeks old.
Mine like the paper stringy toys from Amazon... They have torn them up. One of the ones I just got had a bell on it. I was walking around the yard doing something else and I just heard the bell ringing and ringing. lol

Back
Top Bottom