Urgent! Day 28 ducklings not pipped but still alive

CastleCoop

Songster
Mar 24, 2020
I have 3 Ancona duck eggs that are on day 28, but haven't even pipped yet. I candled each of them, and they are all still alive. I'm worried because the last duckling I tried to hatch had its organs on the outside of its body. It also doesn't even look like they internally pipped. What do I do??

Once they internally pip, (if they internally pip) is it ok to put a safety hole in the air cell? I just want to make sure they dont suffocate.
I would say yes it's ok but make it very small and if you see bleeding stop immediately. Also, don't get busy fingers and start picking away at the shell or you could dry out the membrane. Just make the tiny hole in the air cell end and leave it be.

Once they internally pip, (if they internally pip) is it ok to put a safety hole in the air cell? I just want to make sure they dont suffocate.

I do safety holes all the time with my Calls since they need to be assisted a LOT do to their short bills. As long as you do it a few hours after the internal pip, and as long as the hole is small to prevent premature drying out of the membrane, there's nothing to be concerned of. It's a very precautious and relatively safe measure just to ensure they don't run out of air. Bigger ducks don't have as many problems getting out, but it's still fine to be safe, if you were improperly turning them, or keeping the humidity at a wrong level that could definitely affect their ability to pip.

I do safety holes all the time with my Calls since they need to be assisted a LOT do to their short bills. As long as you do it a few hours after the internal pip, and as long as the hole is small to prevent premature drying out of the membrane, there's nothing to be concerned of. It's a very precautious and relatively safe measure just to ensure they don't run out of air. Bigger ducks don't have as many problems getting out, but it's still fine to be safe, if you were improperly turning them, or keeping the humidity at a wrong level that could definitely affect their ability to pip.
Its day 31, should I help them? They haven't even internally pipped yet though.

Back
Top Bottom