Washed eggs left out

KatieRice

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
Shaftsbury, VT
My fiancé is supposed to know the rules of egg care - don't wash the eggs, and if you do, stick them in the fridge. He washed "some" the other day, and put them in a carton mixed with others that are unwashed. He then left them on the counter for 2 days. I didn't know he had washed any so I didn't bother putting them in the refrigerator. Most of our eggs come out clean so it's hard to know which ones he washed. Should I throw them all out?

If you mean putting the eggs in water to see if they float, even perfectly edible eggs can float. All that means is, the egg is being displaced by air as the egg ages and "shrinks" inside the shell. (There are others here who can explain things far better than I can. I hope they chime in.) I've even left store eggs on the counter for a few days and had no problem with them.

Since I have feather footed birds, and live in the PNW, keeping nest boxes clean is a constant challenge. Since my kiddos have had to take over caring for the birds recently, well, let's just say I'm washing a lot of eggs. I store mine on the counter, they're there for several days or over a week before we eat them. They're fine.

Back
Top Bottom