Water glassing question

Beaker99

hillbilly extraordinaire
Mar 31, 2022
Missouri Ozarks
I just tried my first water glassing in a large gallon jar. I measured water and lime, but did not leave quite enough room for displacement.
I want to put more eggs in, but I have to remove water and that mixes up the ratio, right?
Do I have to leave it as is?
IMG_20230515_064214067.jpg

First things first!
The ratio of one ounce by weight, of pickling lime per one quart of water, yields what is known to a chemistry student as a saturated solution.
Defintion:
Saturated solution; a mixture of a solid (powder) with a liquid, such that the liquid reaches it ability to dissolve and carry that powder (solid). In this case pickling lime, in solution with water.
The white residue that settles out at the bottom of the jar proves that the solution is saturated.
The water has dissolved the maximum amount of pickling lime that it can, at the temperature of the water.
The extra pickling lime is there to insure that the solution remains saturated as the pores of the eggshells take up some of the lime as they become sealed.

I am not a chemist, so some of the terms I used may cause some issues with a real chemist. I am old as dirt and it was ages ago that I took high school chemistry class. I just thought my explanation would help my chicken, brothers and sisters, understand the process and answer most of the questions out in egg preservation land.

Back
Top Bottom