Welsummer 4-5 weeks old

chicks do get handled and put in the wrong bins, I was picking chick out and decided to peek in the rooster tub, even though I wasn't getting a rooster, and I saw a minorca hen chick in there, that def had a comb, but I knew those kind of birds had bigger combs anyway. I gambled and got her at a rooster price, and she became my biggest tag-a-long hen friend and ended up being a good white egg layer.

Hi all-

Here's a photo update, Lucas is growing up just great (6 weeks). That's Millie beside him.

IMG_5113.JPG

Also, the funny thing about chicks being handled and placed in different bins: I went to the feed store the first day they had chicks available and stopped in at opening. Highly doubt a customer was in there before me and mishandled it. Oh well!

I think it looks like a welsummer rooster, see the white tips on his long feathers, and the flecks of black coming in on his chest.

Not even close to looking like a welsummer. Male welsummers breast would of feathered in black it doesnt change to black later.
That's just one aspect that points away from a welsummer.

Hi all-

Here's a photo update, Lucas is growing up just great (6 weeks). That's Millie beside him.

View attachment 1326817

Also, the funny thing about chicks being handled and placed in different bins: I went to the feed store the first day they had chicks available and stopped in at opening. Highly doubt a customer was in there before me and mishandled it. Oh well!
The stores sometimes fail to change the signs out when the new shipment comes in (might have had Welsummers the prior week) or they put up the wrong sign. That happens OFTEN. I highly doubt it was the hatchery to blame. I once pointed out that the sign was obviously wrong to an employee and they shrugged and said that was what was put up when the chicks arrived so that must have been what the box said and they weren't going to change it. You know, because Gold Laced Wyandottes come in a variety of colors, have green legs, and puffy faces... I'm sure the hatchery didn't make that mistake.

I didn't know the went to black that fast, of course I don't have welsummer roosters though.
The black is present in the first chest feathers.... just as salmon is on pullets of this breed....makes for easy early gender confirmation in lines where the chick markings have not been carefully maintained enough to be certain

Back
Top Bottom