What breeds are best for children to show in 4-H

krstms

MO Hick Chick
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
Missouri
Hi, I was wondering what breeds both LF and bantam tend to show well for 4-H(No silkies). I would like a LF breed for my 10yr old and a bantam breed for my 6yr old. Please give me your opinions. Thanks.

The kids have to hold their bird with their arm at 90 degrees for sometimes over half an hour in showmanship. I would recommend a lighter weight bird or bantam for showmanship, but if he wants a breeding project, there are many great breeds out there for kids. I love Dominiques
big_smile.png
and they come in both bantam and LF.

I've also heard good things about orpingtons for their demeanor, and there are certainly some high quality breeders on here that could set you up with some show-winning birds. White Rocks are also winners and have great calm personalities.

I'm in love with Dominiques, but I do think the mille fleur cochins are so pretty (am hoping to get one for my neice to add to her little bantam pair of hens - pets), as are the laced Wyandottes (and sooo cute as bantams!).

Even if you're just starting out doing the county fair, quality bloodstock won't set you back too much farther than poorer quality birds, and your kids may end up winning and continuing with the breed to become one of the master breeders some day
big_smile.png

No "lavender" are accepted in the APA or ABA standard. The only one might be lavender guineas. But there are birds that are Self Blue, which is the same thing, but the standard term. Breeds such as D'anvers and Old English Game Bantams come in this color.

Silkies are also accepted now in self blue, but you said no Silkies.
lol.png

You can "show" any lavender/self blue birds in any accepted breed whether or not the actual color is recognized for that breed as AOV. All Other Varieties You just can't place as high. I think the highest is maybe Breed, but not Class. Our 4-H, they just get colored ribbons and Rosettes for RV and GR and it wouldn't matter, at least not for their initial ribbon. Personally I'd stick with something they can potentially go all the way with. What we can get away with at our locals vs what will fly at state are entirely different things. If you think they will want to go on it's easier if you plan accordingly from the beginning.

I wouldn't recommend Easter Eggers unless they are being entered as egg layers vs a breed as they are a mix. They would probably get past one of our locals, DQed at the other and usually DQed at state. Ameraucanas would be a better choice standard or bantam and decent one's aren't terribly hard to come by.

IME if solid colors are an option in the breeds you pick they are easiest for beginners. I loved when DS was into Standard Brahmas, real sweethearts, but they were heavy for showmanship. At least for our area bantam Brahmas, Old English and Moderns there are a ton of, so I'm guessing they are well liked. Booted Bantams or D'Uccles I think would be nice for a little one. You'd have to check on and avoid which breeds need dubbed if that would be a problem.

I would either take the kids to a show or set them down with a breed book and see what appeals to them. show birds can be alot of work. My DD and I spend 2 hours a day taking care of our birds. Showmanship birds require a lot of handling before the show. here is DD and her polish
38899_100_1009.jpg

I just got 6 BBS bantam ameraucana eggs from littleameraucanamom on the egg train. If I can get these to hatch they may just work for my DD. When she posts these eggs for auction it says they are show quality.
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
Hmmm, not sure if I've got this right, but they are a mother and daughter on here....? I believe Little Ameraucana Mom and Sebrightmom and I think Sebrightmom is the daughter...

Anyways, we got Black split Lav hatching eggs last year from Sebrightmom and were happy. DS breeds/shows Ameraucanas. If she says they're from SQ BBS Ameraucanas, then I expect you'll definitely get some show-able birds for your DD.

Congrats!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom