What breeds have you kept across your chickening life and why?

I have kept so, so many breeds over the years for so many different reasons!
  • Some were just what was available at the time (red sexlinks, an amberlink, Gold-laced Wyandottes, a Black Australorp)
  • Some were gifts or rescues (Gold and Silver Sebrights, Speckled Sussex, Partridge Plymouth Rocks, a Splash Marans, Rhode Island Reds, Swedish Flower Hens)
  • Some were because I liked the looks of them (Barred Rocks, Lavender, Blue, Chocolate Mottled, and Crele Orpingtons, a Light Brahma, Fawn Silver Duckwing OEGBs)
  • Some were because I wanted the egg color for my egg basket (Black Copper and Wheaten Marans, a Blue Ameraucana, a Welsummer, Light Brown and Exchequer Leghorns, an Ancona, an Egyptian Fayoumi, a Silver Lakenvelder, a Golden Campine, Cream Legbars)
  • Some were because of their reputation for good temperaments (Silver Gray and Red Dorkings, large fowl and bantam Cochins, the OEGBs kind of fall into this category as well)
  • Some were just for fun (Silkies, Easter-eggers)
  • Some were mix-ups or substitutes in orders (a Bielefelder, Dark Gray Dorkings)

I think that covers about all of them. 🤔 Note that production has never been a priority for me with my flock, so has never really been a factor in any of my decisions. More what I am interested in are birds with good temperaments that are hopefully at least somewhat interesting to look at (solid white and buff are the main two varieties that come to mind as not qualifying for that requirement for me) and don't have traits that I dislike in chicken breeds (I think the only real deal breaker for me is large crests, though, like with Polish and many Silkies). The breeds (or "breeds" as the case may be) that I intend to always keep around are my precious silkied Cochin bantams that I am breeding for improvement based on the standard, my beloved Silver Gray Dorkings and Silver Duckwing variant OEGBs because I simply adore their temperaments and their appearance, Black Copper Marans (or possibly other varieties of Marans) for pretty egg colors, Barred Plymouth Rocks for sentiment and appearance, and Easter-eggers and naked necks just for fun and variety. 🙂

I have kept so, so many breeds over the years for so many different reasons!
  • Some were just what was available at the time (red sexlinks, an amberlink, Gold-laced Wyandottes, a Black Australorp)
  • Some were gifts or rescues (Gold and Silver Sebrights, Speckled Sussex, Partridge Plymouth Rocks, a Splash Marans, Rhode Island Reds, Swedish Flower Hens)
  • Some were because I liked the looks of them (Barred Rocks, Lavender, Blue, Chocolate Mottled, and Crele Orpingtons, a Light Brahma, Fawn Silver Duckwing OEGBs)
  • Some were because I wanted the egg color for my egg basket (Black Copper and Wheaten Marans, a Blue Ameraucana, a Welsummer, Light Brown and Exchequer Leghorns, an Ancona, an Egyptian Fayoumi, a Silver Lakenvelder, a Golden Campine, Cream Legbars)
  • Some were because of their reputation for good temperaments (Silver Gray and Red Dorkings, large fowl and bantam Cochins, the OEGBs kind of fall into this category as well)
  • Some were just for fun (Silkies, Easter-eggers)
  • Some were mix-ups or substitutes in orders (a Bielefelder, Dark Gray Dorkings)

I think that covers about all of them. 🤔 Note that production has never been a priority for me with my flock, so has never really been a factor in any of my decisions. More what I am interested in are birds with good temperaments that are hopefully at least somewhat interesting to look at (solid white and buff are the main two varieties that come to mind as not qualifying for that requirement for me) and don't have traits that I dislike in chicken breeds (I think the only real deal breaker for me is large crests, though, like with Polish and many Silkies). The breeds (or "breeds" as the case may be) that I intend to always keep around are my precious silkied Cochin bantams that I am breeding for improvement based on the standard, my beloved Silver Gray Dorkings and Silver Duckwing variant OEGBs because I simply adore their temperaments and their appearance, Black Copper Marans (or possibly other varieties of Marans) for pretty egg colors, Barred Plymouth Rocks for sentiment and appearance, and Easter-eggers and naked necks just for fun and variety. 🙂

I love this!

My red line now is feathered feet. Our winters are SO muddy here, and I've had so many issues with mites that I won't get silkies or other feathered footed breeds again.

I love this!

My red line now is feathered feet. Our winters are SO muddy here, and I've had so many issues with mites that I won't get silkies or other feathered footed breeds again.

I've thankfully not had many issues with my feather-footed breeds despite that our spring is usually sloppy muddy, but I could definitely understand why that would deter someone from keeping those breeds!

I did forget, though, the other major deal breaker trait for me is hybrids and strains of breeds that have been bred for high egg production. I had too many red sexlinks struggle with issues relating to their high egg production that inevitably ended with me having to put them down. Never again for me! Not all will have these issues, but too many of them do--and since avoiding having them in my flock for many years now, I've yet to have another hen develop those types of issues.

Sounds interesting! I have had loads of fun breeding my own mixes and working out which hen laid which egg. I had a paint silkie cockerel for years and he fathered a fair few interesting mixes with his genes.
I just set some potentially mixed eggs, and honestly I am so curious to see what they turn out like. My last mixes were accidental polish x sussex, they were growing into very pretty chicken (both boys though) till I lost them to Coccidiosis.

Also I remembered last night I've also had EEs, two cockerels neither of which I could keep, so lost one to a fox and rehomed the other.

That is very true! You have similar objectives to me. I've only in recent years added in the idea of coloured eggs. Hence the Welsummer and this year the Marans and Auraucana. My Cream Legbar didn't last long so I never got eggs from her.
My oldest lady is a Welsummer, still laying gorgeous eggs and leader of the pack. She can be very bossy but we love her 🥰

Good golly, what haven't I kept? 😅

Current:
Bantam EEs
Standard EEs
Mixes
Phoenix
Sebrights
Wyandotte
Leghorns
Bantam WFB Spanish
Silkies
Mosaic
Asian Black
Calico Princess
Mystic Onyx
Bantam Cornish
D'uccle
D'anvers
Bantam polish
Bantam cochin
Russian Orloff
Spitzhauben
Plymouth Rock
Marans
Bantam Brahma
Fibro Sexlink
Naked Neck
Araucana
Ayam Ketwa

Former:
American Bresse
Ayam Cemani
Frizzled Cemani
Sumatra
Ameraucana
Frizzled Bantam Cochin
Standard Brahma
Red Stars
Black Stars
Dominique
Orpington
Standard Polish
Standard Cochin
OEGB

Last edited:
I've thankfully not had many issues with my feather-footed breeds despite that our spring is usually sloppy muddy, but I could definitely understand why that would deter someone from keeping those breeds!

I did forget, though, the other major deal breaker trait for me is hybrids and strains of breeds that have been bred for high egg production. I had too many red sexlinks struggle with issues relating to their high egg production that inevitably ended with me having to put them down. Never again for me! Not all will have these issues, but too many of them do--and since avoiding having them in my flock for many years now, I've yet to have another hen develop those types of issues.

Totally agree.

Heritage breeds for longer happier healthier lives for me.

My oldest lady is a Welsummer, still laying gorgeous eggs and leader of the pack. She can be very bossy but we love her 🥰

Yes my welsummer is bossy, reactive and so noisy! Always complaining about something and nothing! 😂 She is so beautiful though, and lays lovely milk chocolate coloured eggs. But what a diva!!

Back
Top Bottom