What causes smaller ducks eggs

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
My ducks have been laying consistently all winter as we supplemented their light until about 6 weeks ago. We are no longer supplementing their light, and days are longer, and they are still laying consistently (except they seem to miss one day a week as they always have), but the eggs are smaller. I have recently changed their food - two weeks ago (which I will be changing back - not happy with new food at all as duck waste has increased drastically). They are getting greens and oyster shell, not getting as much free range time as I am now working two jobs. Is it likely to be the food that results in smaller eggs, lighting change (thought that would just make them stop laying not smaller eggs), or ?

Mostly, it is because they lay what they lay and you take what you get.

I'd think that food and light would affect the number of eggs you get, and not so much the size of the eggs. Are your birds getting old? Old birds slow down and perhaps lay smaller eggs at the end of their laying life. Although if you are getting 6 per week per bird, that doesn't sound like slowing down to me.

With my runners ive for the most part have been gettin normal sized eggs and once and a while the one wll give me small egg, maybe stress? I still didnt figure it out exactly either.

Back
Top Bottom