What did you do in the garden today?

My 3 plants I transplanted in the garden finely recovered from shock yesterday. Dh helped me put some shade cloth over them. My squash plant is producing and blooming like crazy and 2 of the 3 cantaloup seeds popped up.
20180623_122109.jpg

I went out and picked the biggest watermelon today, It's juicy and sweet :yesss:I gave half to the girls this morning, the other half is in the fridge.

I got one zucchini that grew to full size but it was next to the xhicken wire and they found it. So they got that too.
I opened the garden door and I'm letting them check things out in there today, have what they want. I'll gradually remove things this week but indoor chores are calling.
Have a great day everyone:frow

Does anyone here propagate vegetable plants by rooting cuttings? Is this something I could do at the end of the growing season? I was just curious which types of vegetables I can winter over indoors, then transplant in spring, instead of always planting new seed.

Tomato and peppers can be propagated from cuttings. I often bring in some of my herbs for the winter. Rosemary, if it's getting too tall and leggy gets tipped on it's side, with the root ball buried in the soil. All the branches then take root, so I can bring in some new plants in the fall. I'm doing the same thing with an overgrown sage this summer. Geraniums also get brought in for the winter, either as cuttings, or as plants which have been cut WAY back. I am an avid seed saver. Many plants set seed the same year they are planted. Tomato, beans, squash, lettuce, dill, kale. You have to know each species behavior and whether it's self fertile or not, as well as how to preserve the seed. Biennials such as Chard, Beets, Parsley are often allowed to winter over so I can harvest seed the following year.

A lot of your overwintering plans will depend on what kind of lighting you have, and how much space available in your home during the winter.

Ah ok. I'll probably just save seeds then. I'm already starting to save from my tomato plants. Next year, I'd like to try to grow the Juliet tomato. All the ones I've been growing are heirlooms, and I was thinking about trying a hybrid to see if it might be a little more hardy. I used to get Juliets from the farmer's market, so I know I like them.

Lg I bought a florescent light fixture and a grow light the one with the multi color led lights in it. I will be putting some of my plants in the house to winter over. My kumquats will ripen over the winter so I will use the grow light on it.
I am also going to start some guava, maypop passion vine and star fruit seeds in the next month or so.
Do you think the florescent light will be enough for the seedlings? Or is there a special florescent bulb I will need to get. It's a t5 bulb that goes in it.

Back
Top Bottom