What did you do in the garden today?

Morning gardeners.

Got the run all buckled up & for whatever reason the girls slept outside in it last night. Not sure if the plastic made it lighter & they missed the door or what but we were at dinner in NH & didn't get home till late so I didn't check on them. Silly chickens, coldest night we've had so far too.

Bagging up leaves today to save for the winter, if they dry out enough.

Thinking I'll wait till next weekend to dig up the dahlias, they need a better freeze. They are talking a little snow Friday. It won't happen, but its the time of year where they have to hype it up.

Have a great day all!
Hi Sueby, hoping you can help with a question regarding dahlias - we still haven't dug our dahlia bulbs, and I'm worried that I might have waited too long (it's been fairly cold here for awhile). I still want to try digging them up, though. If the bulbs are ruined, will they be mushy or something? Would I be able to tell that the bulbs are no good anymore?

Time to head to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. I bought some Pumpkin Spice liquid creamer yesterday, and want to check it out! :caf

Last edited:
Good morning gardeners. Today looks to be a busy day. I need to wrap the chicken run before the temperatures plummet. Cold rain moving in later today, yuck! The winter heath plants I planted 2 weeks ago are doing well. They are soft and healthy looking so I believe they are rooting well. I want to get the old compost out onto the garden beds before it freezes. Then I can start a new batch of compost in my tumbler. I would dig those dahlia tubers up now @chickmom3941. As long as the soil hasn't frozen at the level the tubers are they should be fine. The longer you wait means they have more time to freeze. Good luck with them. Have a great day everyone.

Sueby & Wee Farmer Sarah, yes, the foliage has turned brown and is wilted. I'm not sure how far down the soil has frozen, though. Hubs said he would try to dig them out today. Since I start my work week tomorrow, I'd like to have today to work with them. So then, once they are out of the ground, if they look okay, then I just need to clean them off and let them dry for awhile? Sorry I'm being lazy, lol. I can always google it if you don't have time to answer. I've never actually dug up dahlia tubers before, though I've always planned to. Thanks for your help!

Sueby & Wee Farmer Sarah, yes, the foliage has turned brown and is wilted. I'm not sure how far down the soil has frozen, though. Hubs said he would try to dig them out today. Since I start my work week tomorrow, I'd like to have today to work with them. So then, once they are out of the ground, if they look okay, then I just need to clean them off and let them dry for awhile? Sorry I'm being lazy, lol. I can always google it if you don't have time to answer. I've never actually dug up dahlia tubers before, though I've always planned to. Thanks for your help!
This is my first year with dahlias. I’ve always loved them but never planted any before. I got mine as already blooming and planted them in my front yard. I’m getting my guidance from @Sueby. She’s about 100 miles south of me so our growing zones are close. She still works during the day so she may not be able to respond as quickly. I’ve been working on wrapping my chicken run all morning. Taking a lunch break now.

This is my first year with dahlias. I’ve always loved them but never planted any before. I got mine as already blooming and planted them in my front yard. I’m getting my guidance from @Sueby. She’s about 100 miles south of me so our growing zones are close. She still works during the day so she may not be able to respond as quickly. I’ve been working on wrapping my chicken run all morning. Taking a lunch break now.
Okay, thanks so much! I'll probably just have to google it once Hubs digs them up (if they look good), unless I hear from Sueby before then. Enjoy your lunch!

Back
Top Bottom