What did you do in the garden today?

I need to plant my garlic, i swear every day i plant more stuff and get further behind...

tumeric / ginger. does anyone know an easy way to peel a fairly large number of these? A beekeeper friend infuses her honey with this and was wondering if I knew a way to get to the goodies in the tumeric root easier. yes you could infuse with the peel but it makes it very earthy then and a lot of people don't like that.

aaron

Got 3 types of garlic planted yesterday. still need to pack up the sweet potatoes bc I think they are done curing, but probably not until tomorrow bc today I’ll be busy elsewhere.

Canned some carrot cake. The recipe I use had 7 cups shredded carrots per recipe for a regular size cake, and I got 16 pint sized cakes from a double recipe (so 14 cups of shredded carrots). I still have bags of carrots left to process! I need to make room bc we process chickens this weekend.

Canned cake, btw, is useful. No frosting, but really hits the spot when you want something baked for breakfast or dessert but no time to bake it. Usually we add some maple syrup, cut it up and eat it with ice cream or yogurt.

Broody momma: she is doing a GREAT job!! We are keeping her! It’s been years since we had a good broody, so she gets to stay. I’ll try to get mom and chick pics soon to share.

Got 3 types of garlic planted yesterday. still need to pack up the sweet potatoes bc I think they are done curing, but probably not until tomorrow bc today I’ll be busy elsewhere.

Canned some carrot cake. The recipe I use had 7 cups shredded carrots per recipe for a regular size cake, and I got 16 pint sized cakes from a double recipe (so 14 cups of shredded carrots). I still have bags of carrots left to process! I need to make room bc we process chickens this weekend.

Canned cake, btw, is useful. No frosting, but really hits the spot when you want something baked for breakfast or dessert but no time to bake it. Usually we add some maple syrup, cut it up and eat it with ice cream or yogurt.

Broody momma: she is doing a GREAT job!! We are keeping her! It’s been years since we had a good broody, so she gets to stay. I’ll try to get mom and chick pics soon to share.
Awesome news on the broody! Gotta love a good mama.

Would you mind sharing the carrot cake recipe when you have time? I have loads if carrots to process as well.

Finally done with this project. I ran out of stain before I was done and it took a couple days to find the right one so I could finish. Now everyone has good lighting and nobody will miss out on the water.
4F3A2940-A52B-4B25-8C69-0EA2CEAD9FC9.jpeg
F9C0CFCC-6768-41E6-8E70-AD216AA8C3A3.jpeg

Awesome news on the broody! Gotta love a good mama.

Would you mind sharing the carrot cake recipe when you have time? I have loads if carrots to process as well.

Sure! Recipe from Cooks Illustrated Jan/Feb 1998

A big whisk and big bowl are your friend, and recipe requires no mixer. However, read the directions bc they are different than most cake recipes:

2 2/3 C all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder (yes, four tsp)*
1/2 tsp baking soda
2tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 pound carrots, finely grated (7 Cups)
1 cup, plus 2/3 Cup granulated sugar
1/2 lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 Cup light brown sugar
5 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350. grease and flour cake pans (or grease wide mouth pint jars, removing any grease from rim. You will use 8-9 jars).

Whisk flour through salt in a bowl, set aside.

Toss grated carrots with 1 Cup sugar. - place in colander over a bowl, let drain for approx 20 min, until 1 Cup liquid has drained.

Melt butter in a large skillet over med-low heat, stirring frequently. cook until golden brown, approx 8-10 min, stirring frequently. Transfer to a large bowl and cool for 10 min.

Once butter is cooled for 10 min, then stir in the remaining granulated sugar (2/3C), and the brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time, whisking each until fully incorporated.

Add vanilla to the butter/sugar/egg mix, then add flour mixture, stirring until almost combined.

Stir in carrots.

Divide batter into the 2 prepared pans. OR put in 1C batter per pint jar - an ice cream/batter scoop is helpful here. Wipe rims again to remove any batter or carrot bits.

Bake until cake is firm in the middle, and toothpick comes out perfectly clean, approx 40-50 min. For the jars, I place onto a baking sheet with a silicone baking pad, with space between jars, and it still took about 40 min to cook - but check after 30 or so min to assess.

cool in pans for 10 min, run knife around edge and remove from pans to continue cooling.

If using jars, have warmed lids ready, and once out of the oven, apply lids and rings, tighten, then let cool completely, and they will cool sealed.

The above cake tastes great - its just carrots and spice - and yummy. But, you might want additional ingredients:

Variations:

1. Pineapple and pecans: Toast pecans and chop to get 3/4 cup. Drain crushed pineapple, squeezing out juice to get it as "dry" as possible. Measure out 2/3 Cup of the pineapple. Add these to batter with the carrots.

2. Raisins and Walnuts: toast and chop walnuts to get 3/4 Cup. Measure 3/4 Cup raisins. Add with the carrots.

Back
Top Bottom