What did you do in the garden today?

Well, everything thinks it is spring around here. -have spring bulbs shooting up in the perennial beds, buds on the blackberries, and buds on the Carolina Jessamine vines. It's 81 out there, and I broke a sweat in shorts/t-shirt. It's January. Goodness......
Anyway, I raked the leaves and mulch from around my vegetable plants. They're all growing well! The chickens helped out, and cleared some grub worms here and there.

Speaking of poison... I'm hoping I didn't just accidentally kill my ducks. Or chickens. 😳😳😳

Two days ago I put some Borax out on some ant mounds in the pasture. I closed off that section of the pasture at least until it rains later this week. This morning I let the ducks and chickens out to free range. I COMPLETELY forgot about the Borax out there until I saw the ducks sifting through the old horse apples near where I was treating the ant mounds. The horses can't get out there but my birds can easily slip under the gate. Now I'm worried about whether they ate it or not. Same with the chickens.... 😳😳😳
That reminds me, I need to do something about the fire ants in my newest garden bed

All the big pines are gone. I have a couple of giant stumps and a lit of tree debris. I’m looking forward to seeing this area cleaned up, fenced in and grass growing. The soil looks very rich and dark so more garden space. Before and after photos.
A3F4283B-4977-4FE0-814E-DDF9252E6CE3.jpeg
04BC7DDB-D18E-4025-9E85-2B4FD63B1A31.jpeg
A1A0F714-EEBF-4897-8AF7-F3138B5AF597.jpeg
E1E31110-93BE-44C8-AF14-3FD2F9F9B1B1.jpeg

Speaking of poison... I'm hoping I didn't just accidentally kill my ducks. Or chickens. 😳😳😳

Two days ago I put some Borax out on some ant mounds in the pasture. I closed off that section of the pasture at least until it rains later this week. This morning I let the ducks and chickens out to free range. I COMPLETELY forgot about the Borax out there until I saw the ducks sifting through the old horse apples near where I was treating the ant mounds. The horses can't get out there but my birds can easily slip under the gate. Now I'm worried about whether they ate it or not. Same with the chickens.... 😳😳😳
unless they ate a bunch, I don't borax is going to be very toxic to them. it's more a soap., and of course ant killer

aaron

I grabbed outdoor pics today after mounting the second raid bed addition. They're looking good I'll say.

20230110_130841.jpg

I sort of want to move or strawberries into one of these now... I don't want to uproot them all though and loose a year of progress with the plants. Salad greens will be going in the left one for sure though.

Last edited:
I bought a dozen eggs today. I really HOPE it's the last dozen I have to buy! These were the "cheap eggs" that used to be $1.88. Now they are $4.79.

Right now, I'm getting an egg every other day, sometimes 2 days out of 3. It's DH's birthday on Thursday, and I need 3 eggs to make his birthday pie, which is lemon meringue. We use 8 eggs every weekend for weekend breakfasts. I'd like to have fried rice 2-3 times a week like I do in the summer.

Come on, girls, get it in gear! :gig

I grabbed outdoor pics today after mounting the second raid bed addition. They're looking good I'll say.

View attachment 3372112

I sort of want to move or strawberries into one of these now... I don't want to uproot them all though and loose a year of progress with the plants. Salad greens will be going in the left one for sure though.
Love how that looks. The only potential problem i see is. over time, dirt from the upper tiers is always going to wash down into the lower tiers by natural gravity, water taking it etc etc. The plants in there are naturally going to sink with it. You will end up constantly having to add dirt to the top one to keep the level up as everything works its way to the bottom which on the other hand will eventually want to overflow, especially on the rainy days.

Not trying to be disrespectful just it looks like this might present an issue and if it IS one, its better /easier to do preventative maintenance rather than damage control.

aaron

Back
Top Bottom