What did you do in the garden today?

Since TSC and Bomgaars bought out Orscheln's, neither carry my chicken feed anymore. We've tried every chicken feed they carry, plus some weird stuff some of the local co-ops carry. They hens eat it, but don't. They waste a TON, and their eggs are getting weird.

So I contacted the producer who told me who carried their feed, but turns out they didn't, which sent me on a cross country trip, lots of stupid lazy people, one co-op got their pallet of feed in on the morning truck and hadn't unloaded it yet. And they didn't want to unload the pallet until tomorrow. Nut she could see it, but the dock crew didn't want to open it.

Finally a store in Crete, who if I paid for it there (they were out in store), and drove to Columbus to the plant to pick it up today, was AWESOME. Now, in future, I can ORDER it in Crete (by phone), and they'll pick it up on their weekly feed run to Columbus and I'll pick it up 20 miles away in Crete. RIDICULOUS.

I was down to 3 days worth of feed for the hens, and would have resorted to something local, but they just don't want it.

Wow! That's so frustrating! I'm glad you were finally able to find some, but yikes! I'm curious to know what feed it is.

Not being able to bend I started my garden in tires.
Each uear we fresh the dirt in the tires, little chicken poop little garden dirt.
When I bend may fall my balance is not great.

Well, the elevated planters might work great for you. No bending required to plant, maintain, or harvest from the elevated planters.

A few years ago, I watched a YouTube video by a guy who could not bend over for his gardening. He made some adaptive tools so he could still plant in the ground. He used a long-handled hoe to make a trench and then had a 3-4 foot PVC that he would put over the trench and drop down a seed where he wanted it to go. Then he used his feet to push the dirt over the seed.

He also had a way to do tomato transplants. He had a larger round PVC pipe that he used to slide down the transplant into a hole plug in the ground. Then he packed the dirt around the plant using his feet.

He had the system down in his video and it was nice seeing someone being able to continue to do the gardening he loved with the special tools he made to assist him.

:old I am still able to fully bend over if I wanted to plant things in the ground, but I find that I prefer using raised beds. Even my 16-inch-tall pallet wood raised beds eliminate almost all bending that is required for me. I look for ways to save my back wherever and whenever I can.

Today...
IMG_20230628_191800974.jpg

...first Tithonia bloom.

That's the real color, no Photoshop.

I went over the tomato plants looking for more Army worms. Found FOUR. They were 1" long, and delicious (as per the pullets). I'm encouraged by the numbers dropping so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom