What did you do in the garden today?

My Dahlia bulbs did not survive the winter... I had pulled them up and stored them in a box in the garage. Went to take them out today and noticed a ton of these tiny black bugs crawling/flying out of the box. When I unwrapped the bulbs, they crumpled into dust. So they either rotted away or the bugs ate them into nothing. 😕

At least I have plenty more coming... I'll be sure to leave them in the ground this year.

So I had multiple sprouting eyes because I'm so late with my potatoes this year. I cut them into large sections to get more plants. Curing them overnight before planting tomorrow.

I've heard both sides of the argument - to cut & cure (or don't cure) and those who plant whole. Just wondering about everyone's experience here? I've always just planted whole. This is my first time cutting into sections.
I cut dust with sulfur and cure

I've heard both sides of the argument - to cut & cure (or don't cure) and those who plant whole. Just wondering about everyone's experience here? I've always just planted whole. This is my first time cutting into sections.
I cut the big ones, if I have some left. Tennis ball sized and smaller I plant whole. I usually have lots of sprouting potatoes so I don't need to cut them to make more.

I've never cured them; usually I'm planting them and realize, oh wow, this one is really big, so I better cut it in half.

I cut the big ones, if I have some left. Tennis ball sized and smaller I plant whole. I usually have lots of sprouting potatoes so I don't need to cut them to make more.

I've never cured them; usually I'm planting them and realize, oh wow, this one is really big, so I better cut it in half.
My seed potatoes were pretty big. Softball sized or larger. Which is why I went ahead and cut them up. Anything that was golf ball or smaller was not cut up.

Blackstrap molasses.
When we were kids we'd drink milk with a good dollop of molasses in it. It was good!
Oh yeah, I saw my first bumblebee of the season flying around the yard today. The pollinators are out!
Yeah, I've seen a few around here too. Our prune plums are blooming so I hope they find them.

Back
Top Bottom