What did you do in the garden today?

Do the lids seal? You can overfill the trays with liquids if you use baggies. I've seen it done with milk and raw eggs.
6:18 is the beginning of the tips. My favorite is the milk, 7cups per tray with baggies, 4cups without!
The lids snap on, yes. And I have extra sets of pans.
I just pour and freeze liquids at the machine, it doesn't take that much more power. The bags are few and far between out here in the middle of no where and when I do find them they are $$$.

Do the lids seal? You can overfill the trays with liquids if you use baggies. I've seen it done with milk and raw eggs.
6:18 is the beginning of the tips. My favorite is the milk, 7cups per tray with baggies, 4cups without!
Althought you'd think she'd have the brains to use non-pleated baggies and/or a mixing container with a spout.

Althought you'd think she'd have the brains to use non-pleated baggies and/or a mixing container with a spout.
I didn't even know there were different kinds of bags until I saw hers. 😂

My kitchen is lacking storage, I actually have a cabinet out in the garage for some of my excess canning equipment, jars and supply overflow.

I do not own any bowls with pour spouts. I don't even have a pyrex glass measuring cup anymore.

We don't have a toaster, 'fancy' coffee maker, or bread maker.

My juicer, dehydrator, stand mixer, and canners all live in the garage. I use my food processor and blender enough that they live in a kitchen cabinet. We have a toaster oven and microwave.

I installed a slim window mounted swamp cooler in the garage above the sink to keep my garage cool in the warm months.
20240518_095436.jpg
We have two refrigerators out there, two freezers and a converted chest freezer that has 7 beer taps in the front. The swamp cooler helps the compressors of all of those run less often as well. We don't really have humid heat here so the swamp coolers work great.
20240407_183558.jpg 20240407_183606.jpg

Harvested carrots today to make chicken and dumpling soup.
20240518_090703.jpg
Squash are starting to bloom, I've seen two female flowers, but this male flower was so pretty this morning!
20240518_085801.jpg

There's some random volunteer ?pumpkin? Growing in one of my potted trees. I'm going to let it live.
20240517_161233.jpg
Yesterday I got to just sit and enjoy the gardens. I dead headed the roses, there's so many blooms this year.
20240517_151606.jpg
20240517_151611.jpg

And my problem is finding the NON-pleated ones. UGH.
They do not do well in the microwave, and the plastic they're starting to use shreds after it gets cold.
I'm sticking to my Tupperware, and old glass.
And humidity...OMG....we are saturated, even in drought. It's only 75'F right now, but we are sticky wet, humid. The kind where your sock slip and your bra doesn't sit right. Swampy, am I right @TJAnonymous ?

Those Kuhli loaches are cool-i! For some reason they make me think of those poisonous sea snakes.
I did a 50% water change to my 75 gallon fish tank. The total dissolved solids were over 800ppm so I figured it was time. I used my python and put the water into 5 gallon buckets out in the yard.
It's too hot and muggy outside to do much, so I focused my efforts today on my water gardening, aquariums.

I ordered more Kuhlis a couple months ago, but quarantined them in my shrimp tank. Now that the 29g is clean I decided it was time to move those kuhlis that had survived.

All 12 were alive with the shrimp!
IMG_20240518_125651730~2.jpg

And they were tough to catch...

They're now acclimating to the 29g water in a specimen cup, hanging inside the big aquarium. I know they will be "happier" going from a 5.5 to a 29 gallon tank...plus they have some great great aunts and uncles to meet. Kuhli loaches are extremely gregarious.

@Liz Birdlover

Last edited:
I spent 45 minutes watering the entire garden this morning, then cleaned and refilled the chickens' 5 gallon watering bucket.

Earlier this week I noticed that the vines on a couple potato plants were starting to wilt. I yanked them both out and tossed them away. Not sure what the cause is, and I hope it doesn't spread to the rest of the vines.

Over the next 10 days overnight temperatures will drop to between 40 and 46 degrees, daytime highs will range between 55 and 65 degrees. My pepper plants will be pretty much dormant during all that time. Next year I think I wait until June before I put pepper plants in the ground.

I'm thinking about it. There's so much junk added to store-bought bread that I think it's about time to try a different route.
Oh I make my own bread, grind my own flours, but I don't work it by hand. I use a dough mixer, actually made to make Chinese dumpling dough. It mixes and ferments(proofs) the dough, so I don't have to.

Got a new toy today, a weed burner torch. I hit all the weeds growing through cracks in the asphalt driveway, and at the edge of the pea gravel around the house foundation. Fire is fun! Hahahahahaha!
I wonder how that might work on wisteria, poison ivy?
IMG_20240517_133234786.jpg

I weeded this a couple weeks ago, see all the wisteria popping up? 🌿🌿🌿
:mad::he:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom