What did you do with your flock today?

Only the new chickens right? Or can I vaccinate all of them next year even if they’ve had it?
Linda hammid lives in the Roseville area and vaccinates all of them in the Fall. She seemed to think they can get fowl pox every year.

Frankie I'm so very very sorry. 😭😭😭😭😭 It just breaks my heart hearing about your Phil.
Poor Phil 😢 I’m so very sorry! That’s just the worst thing to have to do! It sounds like she was a fighter ❤️

I’m sad that you will have to find a mate for Cher…poor Sonny! Chickens are so complicated! I know Buckaboo is probably pricey…but they sure are pretty!! 😁
Well, not so lucky 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I tested positive but the good new is DH is still negative.
I'm starting to have some symptoms again but nothing terrible. Not even sure how I got this. Maybe Humane Society ironically, or the one time I went to the store.

@FrankieDoodle I am so sorry to hear about your beautiful girl. Absolutely a hard call to make. You are in my good thoughts :hugs You gave that beautiful little girl a wonderful life. It must have been quite the thing for that little chicken to live in your light. ♡
I am so sorry
Thanks everyone. She was the first bird I had to put down, all of the others were either rehomed, or died naturally. : ( to make it extra sucky, she was totally healthy aside from her leg issues. : (
Today I sat in the run with them and handed out treats.
I thought you said you didn’t have birds anymore?

I tried to get a pic of the two chicks snuggling together, but Sonny ended up hogging the entire frame. XD
DD055841-2FA3-4DF0-B88A-7A258414877E.jpeg

That is good to know!

I wonder if the vaccine sold is better now?
I thought the vax was a one time deal too. Guess I had better do my research or just never jumped on board with it. It is $90 last I checked and will do 80+ birds. I never hatch that many and can't transfer that $ onto my price.
With my flock it passes through with the young ones, usually fairly mild dry pox and at first signs I boost my flocks vitamins. I almost welcome it because I usually can control the outcome more or less (I think)
With the feral, it can and does wipe out whole broods and some of the main flock but usually the adults are chicks who have had and survived. I absolutely believe health and nutrition play a major role as I had adopted a sick chic who's whole family got it and was wiped out but I was able to save this chick with basic care. So, feed the pox was my lesson... so far 😉

I thought the vax was a one time deal too. Guess I had better do my research or just never jumped on board with it. It is $90 last I checked and will do 80+ birds. I never hatch that many and can't transfer that $ onto my price.
With my flock it passes through with the young ones, usually fairly mild dry pox and at first signs I boost my flocks vitamins. I almost welcome it because I usually can control the outcome more or less (I think)
With the feral, it can and does wipe out whole broods and some of the main flock but usually the adults are chicks who have had and survived. I absolutely believe health and nutrition play a major role as I had adopted a sick chic who's whole family got it and was wiped out but I was able to save this chick with basic care. So, feed the pox was my lesson... so far 😉
The vaccine was $12.50 so it felt worth it for my small flock. I think I am just feeling a bit overprotective after watching them die such miserable deaths from the wet pox. :(

Back
Top Bottom