What did you do with your flock today?

Good morning and happy Saturday all! We have a beautiful day today.
Last night I locked the coops and run and garden gate. Just had one of those feelings? IDK, must be something on my mind as all was well this morning but did have a dream about someone hitting my parked car. Think I'll be extra careful with truck and chickens for the next week.
I hope to get to restreatching my extention cords to the coop today. DH never ran anything more permanent but cords are absolutely fine for us now especially if they don't look ridiculous just hanging. Maybe I'll even wrap them w/ electrical tape bring them up to osha standard lol😒
20220217_184947.jpg

Young pullets had to be placed on perch again but cockerel followed suit no problem. That is going good cept being I locked the coop last eve I locked the cockerel in with Spider so cockerel got a licking this morning b4 I opened up. Trust me, he deserves it.
Lights were safely and happily tucked in the mini coop solo.
Not sure what else my day holds. Probably another cup of Joe at this point. Have an awesome and safe day all!

What?! Me?! Overthink things? Never! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ok, so that actually makes sense. I'll get a roll of 1/2 inch hardware cloth and wrap the larger crate. A month without direct sun... do I need to add VitD or anything else to her water?
I have no idea about the vit D thing. @pennyJo1960 probably can speak to that ♡♡♡

What?! Me?! Overthink things? Never! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ok, so that actually makes sense. I'll get a roll of 1/2 inch hardware cloth and wrap the larger crate. A month without direct sun... do I need to add VitD or anything else to her water?
@TropicalBabies
I can't fit the giant crate into the coop.
Do you think the larger cage here 👇 is big enough? If you think it'll do, I'll go ahead and wrap it with hardware cloth.

20220219_102353.jpg

Oh. Chicken bell is working great! I brought snacks into the run @ 4:45. The tribe followed me in, I shut the gates and rang the bell. .. 🤦‍♀️ Bell sounded cool lol. This eve, I will ring bell first. Apparently, sneaking snacks in is not gunna happen. Maybe they were just trying to show off how smart they are? Anywho, DH was stoked. ♡

Probably lost one of my favorite hens this morning.

20211205_162748.jpg

For the past 2 weeks, Goldie has been hopping the fence relentlessly into the area where the goats/sheep/LGDs stay. To the dogs' credit, they've seen her and ignored her every single time. Poppy even allowed Goldie to eat from her food bowl once. I've scolded Goldie and shooed her back to the other side of the fence every time, but she's stubborn and keeps doing it. Today the temptation proved too much for Finn. When I saw her, she was between the two dogs. I didn't actually witness him with her, but he looked guilty and Poppy didn't at all. She doesn't have any open wounds, but she was used as a toy, all of the feathers on her back ripped out, skin missing...muscle exposed. I don't see how she could survive this, but I have 3 reds who proved me wrong. Same situation and doing well several months later. So I treated her as I did them.....iodine solution on the exposed area and isolated in the giant crate with food, water, nest. When I first saw her, my sweatshirt was stuffed with eggs I'd collected, plus I needed to go get iodine for her. In the 2 minutes it took me to go get the iodine, the other hens had already started pecking at her. I'm amazed at what jerks chickens can be to each other. 😭

Back
Top Bottom