What did you do with your flock today?

See how nice and long Geegees tail is? 😍🤞
Another thing I read from a fellow bycer and found pretty spot on so far -even though she said was not 100% on Brahma- is the comb. Boys will have 3 rows on their pea comb where girls will have one. You may have to give another few weeks to test this theory. Keep us posted with photos 😉💕
Yeah Geegee’s tail is huge! That’s amazing feather growth in two weeks time! Dang! :) This was helpful, thank you! I know baby is only 6 days old so I should be more patient haha, I’m always really skeptical of the mellow nice chicks. They always end up being the boys I hate rehoming. But you may be right that I may want to keep it and rehome one of my others by the time it counts. Today she/he just sat on my shoulder and seemed so content 😍 I’ve been trying to use the feathering to determine who the boy Polish are too, and so far they all have lots of wing feathers and one has tail feathers too. So either I only have one girl and 5 boys, or they aren’t cooperating! I’m feeling encouraged tonight! I saw teeny tiny FTT baby out and drinking water and eating a little bit! 🤞🏻🤞🏻 Poor baby doesn’t move around easily though, it’s left foot has taken awhile to straighten out so it can walk and I think it’s made that leg a little weaker. I’m trying really hard not to get attached to it…it’s sooo tiny. Not crying as loud tonight though! ❤️

Yeah Geegee’s tail is huge! That’s amazing feather growth in two weeks time! Dang! :) This was helpful, thank you! I know baby is only 6 days old so I should be more patient haha, I’m always really skeptical of the mellow nice chicks. They always end up being the boys I hate rehoming. But you may be right that I may want to keep it and rehome one of my others by the time it counts. Today she/he just sat on my shoulder and seemed so content 😍 I’ve been trying to use the feathering to determine who the boy Polish are too, and so far they all have lots of wing feathers and one has tail feathers too. So either I only have one girl and 5 boys, or they aren’t cooperating! I’m feeling encouraged tonight! I saw teeny tiny FTT baby out and drinking water and eating a little bit! 🤞🏻🤞🏻 Poor baby doesn’t move around easily though, it’s left foot has taken awhile to straighten out so it can walk and I think it’s made that leg a little weaker. I’m trying really hard not to get attached to it…it’s sooo tiny. Not crying as loud tonight though! ❤️
I think the feathering is a ok guideline but I would not cull or rehome by it. I tried using it and my chicks were all over the place. Easier if you have all one breed and see the difference. Multi and mix. Forget it lol. The feet and the attitude have been my best markers or tell-tale. The puffy gregarious ones I'm like yep. Boy.

I think the feathering is a ok guideline but I would not cull or rehome by it. I tried using it and my chicks were all over the place. Easier if you have all one breed and see the difference. Multi and mix. Forget it lol. The feet and the attitude have been my best markers or tell-tale. The puffy gregarious ones I'm like yep. Boy.
Yeah, that’s the thing, none of them are especially gregarious like I’m used to! I use those behaviors to indicate boy—Eevee was crazy curious and friendly and loved to sit with me. So we’re Puff and Fluff. But Emilio was always a freak out panic type haha. They all freak out and run like I’m a monster 😁😁 But they do mostly all relax when I’m holding them, some more than others. Well bummer, I guess I will just have to wait and be patient (one thing I really suck at 😆). They’re all so freaking cute, why they gotta be so cute?? 😍 And speaking of cute…Betty and Fuzzy are the CUTEST mommas ❤️🥰

I spent most of my day with the new babies and now I’m feeling bad I didn’t spend more time with my big kids! I was really hoping Newbell’s crop would be cleared before Wednesday (we leave for Portland for the NCAA basketball tournament thru Sunday 😩) and now I feel bad leaving her. I also really want to see the tiny FTT baby either improve or show sure signs she won’t. I wud hate for my sitters kids to find her 🥺. And my quail have also started laying again which means the boys are starting to fight and I found a couple bloodied birds 🤦🏼‍♀️ So my bird sitter is going to have to deal with that too—blah! 🥺 So I have to leave TONS of instructions and label everything and make videos to help them know how to do things…plus Aria has a 4-H test to take before we leave town. Can you tell my vacation is starting to stress me out? 😆

Oh and lastly! A breeder I know is downsizing and asked me if I might take her wheaten Ameraucana Honey…so Honey will be joining us after I’m back from Portland. She is apparently lowest in the pecking order and decided to live with the bantam Cochins and the breeder wanted her to go somewhere where she would take be picked on. 😍 I’m in need of a more mature hen for the boys that isn’t pint sized so I said sure. Plus she’s adorable 🥰

Thanks for the help! Those are all amazing tips I will attempt to use 😁😁

Attachments

• 504CB618-3ED9-4959-995C-C9610FDA3997.jpeg
    504CB618-3ED9-4959-995C-C9610FDA3997.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 1
  • D8633396-5DD5-42F2-BBE5-053F35AD81B5.jpeg
    D8633396-5DD5-42F2-BBE5-053F35AD81B5.jpeg
    672 KB · Views: 1
  • B5990C3C-8878-4D84-B3F6-2F4DE6EF6CF8.jpeg
    B5990C3C-8878-4D84-B3F6-2F4DE6EF6CF8.jpeg
    754.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 8E493262-2D1E-40DA-8785-63361A94E07A.jpeg
    8E493262-2D1E-40DA-8785-63361A94E07A.jpeg
    590 KB · Views: 1
  • 74591CFF-C944-44C9-B6CC-C70B863E3F0C.jpeg
    74591CFF-C944-44C9-B6CC-C70B863E3F0C.jpeg
    781.5 KB · Views: 1
Hi gang!
Well, I worked in the garden this morning and since the chickens don't always make the best gardening partners when fixing and sprucing I kept them locked in the run. I then put the bugs I found in a container that I later tossed to them. Worked out pretty good cept right now they are putting their touch on my hard work. Oh well. Gotta love them.

Yeah, that’s the thing, none of them are especially gregarious like I’m used to! I use those behaviors to indicate boy—Eevee was crazy curious and friendly and loved to sit with me. So we’re Puff and Fluff. But Emilio was always a freak out panic type haha. They all freak out and run like I’m a monster 😁😁 But they do mostly all relax when I’m holding them, some more than others. Well bummer, I guess I will just have to wait and be patient (one thing I really suck at 😆). They’re all so freaking cute, why they gotta be so cute?? 😍 And speaking of cute…Betty and Fuzzy are the CUTEST mommas ❤️🥰

I spent most of my day with the new babies and now I’m feeling bad I didn’t spend more time with my big kids! I was really hoping Newbell’s crop would be cleared before Wednesday (we leave for Portland for the NCAA basketball tournament thru Sunday 😩) and now I feel bad leaving her. I also really want to see the tiny FTT baby either improve or show sure signs she won’t. I wud hate for my sitters kids to find her 🥺. And my quail have also started laying again which means the boys are starting to fight and I found a couple bloodied birds 🤦🏼‍♀️ So my bird sitter is going to have to deal with that too—blah! 🥺 So I have to leave TONS of instructions and label everything and make videos to help them know how to do things…plus Aria has a 4-H test to take before we leave town. Can you tell my vacation is starting to stress me out? 😆

Oh and lastly! A breeder I know is downsizing and asked me if I might take her wheaten Ameraucana Honey…so Honey will be joining us after I’m back from Portland. She is apparently lowest in the pecking order and decided to live with the bantam Cochins and the breeder wanted her to go somewhere where she would take be picked on. 😍 I’m in need of a more mature hen for the boys that isn’t pint sized so I said sure. Plus she’s adorable 🥰

Thanks for the help! Those are all amazing tips I will attempt to use 😁😁
Fluffy butts & cotton tops, my favorite!!! 😍

Hi gang!
Well, I worked in the garden this morning and since the chickens don't always make the best gardening partners when fixing and sprucing I kept them locked in the run. I then put the bugs I found in a container that I later tossed to them. Worked out pretty good cept right now they are putting their touch on my hard work. Oh well. Gotta love them.
Sounds like a nice productive and peaceful day! Chickens are so helpful in the garden! I’m glad you got to experience it 😁😁

Little itty bitty passed away this morning while I held her. 😢 She’s now buried under one of my favorite flowers, the hydrangea. It was for the best, but I cried anyway. She was so sweet and snuggly. 😢

Off to sleep I must go now!

Sorry Kurby! :hugs It’s hard to loose any of them, but the babies are The Worst!!! 😭 I hope DD is handling it all ok.
Thankfully she is getting more used to the hatching survival rates and doesn’t get attached to the ones I warn her about. She’s been so busy this week she didn’t even notice. Probably for the best!

Back
Top Bottom