What did you do with your flock today?

This kind is made from sweet rice flour with fruits and nuts mixed in. Not fluffy at all. It's dense, chewy and delicious. You can buy it premade but the store kind always has sugar added...it's so much better without that.

Just butterfly shadows! She's so gentle towards them...it's very sweet. Bees on the other hand she has a vendetta with. She wants to kill every bee she can.

I had a Japanese brand rice cooker for years. I only used it for grains, but could cook quinoa, sorghum....all kinds of grains and it cooks perfect. This new one is a cuckoo brand and does both pressure cooking and non-pressure. You can cook anything in it that can be cooked in a rice cooker, instant pot or slow cooker. It's a 10c so just a tad bigger then my old rice pot, but excited with how many devices it can function as. Still think the price is outrageous, but mom being mom...she got it on a good sale. $120 off! ❤️
Wow! That's a huge discount! Well done mom! Your new gadget sounds amazing. My Instant Pot is the type with the interchangeable air fryer lid. I do all sorts in it, including a whole Sunday roast dinner - which blows my mom's mind! I particularly like the way 'deep-fried' tofu works in it, so perfectly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.

Iri sounds just adorable. Apart from the bee thing. Poor bees!
My friend's cat used to come in the house, purring like something crazy. He'd get right in your face, open his mouth....and out would fly a confused, angry bee🐝 The purring was actually the poor bee frantically buzzing in his mouth. I have no clue how he never got stung.

Well, storage space is minimal. Great for the working couple who don't cook much. Electric stove, yes. Counter space was only enough for a microwave, toaster, and of course, a coffee maker espresso machine. My work space is about the size of a 18" x 24" cookie sheet. One small cabinet for glasses. After we renovated a little, the fridge moved to the pantry space, my pantry is now what used to be the hall coat closet, and more storage is in the hallway linen closet. I have to store larger things, big pots in another closet under the stairway, and in the garage. Opened up the wall where the fridge was and put in a cabinet with countertop. A bit more storage for pans and all my wrap boxes, small things. Forget having tupperware! More than 2 adults in here is too crowded.
Sounds exactly like my kitchen! I have lots of kitchen equipment stashed all over the house too.

Today Pepper got to visit her flock out in the play yard, while still in her cage. She was an instant celebrity! They all gathered round, especially the 2 boys. Eventually after the excitement wore off and the corn in the shavings were all eaten by them, they wandered off. The boys kept doing their round up dance around the cage for quite awhile. We have her inside the house at night, and will put her out there when weather permits. So happy to have found a huge pile of normal poop this morning.
Got 8 eggs today. Now that I think about it, my theory about the decreased eggs could be that for most of my girls, this is their first real experience with this crazy kind of freezing weather since beginning to lay, which caused them to pause. What do you think? Anyone else have similar happenings?

Last edited:
So far so good. They are semi rescues and it is just the two living up Koke'e.

I was happy when I checked on them that they had plenty food in the feeder still. I topped it again.
I got the photos I needed to post them.
Do you folks have guesses on their breeds? We are limited here as to what egg laying breeds we can get for the most part, like the basics. Exceptions, yes but not common. I have a few thoughts but would love to hear what you folks think.View attachment 3424584View attachment 3424585View attachment 3424586View attachment 3424587
Your big boy reminds me of a grey Dorking but he doesn't look to have enough toes. Your smaller boy? A crossbreed? Whatever they are they're both very handsome 😍

Finished building the new coop for the yokos. It's smaller then the old but it's safe from goat teeth so I'm happy.

Still need to paint it...at least the osb that's exposed to weather. But the yokos were very excited to check out their new space.

It's been built almost 100% out of scraps from tearing apart the old coop that the old goats chewed on. So not a pretty thing ☹️...but I'm satisfied 😃. It might not look too bad with paint though.
View attachment 3425032View attachment 3425033View attachment 3425034View attachment 3425036
Very impressive, great re-use of materials! Paint covers a multitude of imperfections. Now your Yokos should be healthier. I don't have building skills, but do have DH that does.

Well, I live in a 540sq cottage so I laugh at your kitchen and storage complaints. :gig Mostly your storage complaints.

@ChicksnMore you did it again! Terrific! I like the rustic and the story it tells of repurpose. Fresh paint would look terrific too. Especially the color pallet you come up with... and flowers... needs so flowers maybe :love

I see where you are going with the slw @kurby22 . Def in the face and comb and yes, a breed we get here. Which pretty my cancels out the dorking @Shetland lover . To rare for us lol. The dark cock has bubble eyes like a silkie so maybe a grand in there somewhere along with Astrolorp and maybe a touch Ameraucana??

It looks great!! Well done! 😍 Paint always does wonders! I am especially fond of black trim…it hides a lot of errors in craftsmanship 😆😆 Or goat nibbles! 😉

So I decided if I was gonna sell quail chicks at the Expo, I needed a business card/logo. I know…NEEDED is probably a bit strong 😆 I wanted a business card hehe. So here’s what I mocked up! A nod to my favorite band, my love of lavender birds, and mixing in my love of nature and job studying plant ecology 😍

View attachment 3425308

I’m sooo annoyed with the weather! I need to finish the Cooplex and it supposed to rain for the next ten days straight 😩 @TropicalBabies they’re saying it’s another atmospheric river—probably coming up from Hawaii 😜 Your sharing is just way too generous! 😆 Mammoth Lakes has over 700 inches of snow 😳 They expect many more feet with these next storms. Water coming out our ears here! 🤯
Indigo Girls!!!? If so yay 😊...I love them too. One of my favorite bands ❤️. Love your business card! Hope you have a lot of fun selling at the expo!
Wow on the water amount you guys have gotten this winter! So needed but all at once is always awful 😞. Hoping this storm is your last for a bit.
Wow! That's a huge discount! Well done mom! Your new gadget sounds amazing. My Instant Pot is the type with the interchangeable air fryer lid. I do all sorts in it, including a whole Sunday roast dinner - which blows my mom's mind! I particularly like the way 'deep-fried' tofu works in it, so perfectly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.

Iri sounds just adorable. Apart from the bee thing. Poor bees!
My friend's cat used to come in the house, purring like something crazy. He'd get right in your face, open his mouth....and out would fly a confused, angry bee🐝 The purring was actually the poor bee frantically buzzing in his mouth. I have no clue how he never got stung.
I'll have to try the tofu in the air fryer! We have one but I've never thought to try that even though I eat a lot of fried tofu.
Funny kitty there 😂. I used to have a silly Siamese named Mushka that had a thing for worms. This was back when I lived in Spokane. Every time it rained these huge earthworms would come out and he'd run around collecting them and bring them home. He'd stash them all over the house. Nothing like cleaning dead shriveled worms out of the carpet!
Today Pepper got to visit her flock out in the play yard, while still in her cage. She was an instant celebrity! They all gathered round, especially the 2 boys. Eventually after the excitement wore off and the corn in the shavings were all eaten by them, they wandered off. The boys kept doing their round up dance around the cage for quite awhile. We have her inside the house at night, and will put her out there when weather permits. So happy to have found a huge pile of normal poop this morning.
Got 8 eggs today. Now that I think about it, my theory about the decreased eggs could be that for most of my girls, this is their first real experience with this crazy kind of freezing weather since beginning to lay, which caused them to pause. What do you think? Anyone else have similar happenings?
Bet Pepper loved that ❤️. Yes on the weather...mine go off laying for a short spell with sudden weather changes. Usually here it's because of extreme heat...but occasionally from cold too. Think when the weather change is big, they have to focus on adjusting to it and it throws them off laying.

Indigo Girls!!!? If so yay 😊...I love them too. One of my favorite bands ❤️. Love your business card! Hope you have a lot of fun selling at the expo!
Wow on the water amount you guys have gotten this winter! So needed but all at once is always awful 😞. Hoping this storm is your last for a bit.

I'll have to try the tofu in the air fryer! We have one but I've never thought to try that even though I eat a lot of fried tofu.
Funny kitty there 😂. I used to have a silly Siamese named Mushka that had a thing for worms. This was back when I lived in Spokane. Every time it rained these huge earthworms would come out and he'd run around collecting them and bring them home. He'd stash them all over the house. Nothing like cleaning dead shriveled worms out of the carpet!

Bet Pepper loved that ❤️. Yes on the weather...mine go off laying for a short spell with sudden weather changes. Usually here it's because of extreme heat...but occasionally from cold too. Think when the weather change is big, they have to focus on adjusting to it and it throws them off laying.
Yes! The Indigo Girls are the best 😍 I’ve seen them at least 15 times in concert! Amazing music by truly awesome women. Their music has been with me through a lot of happy and also very dark days. ❤️

As for the rain…it’s been gloomy and wet all morning and it has me feeling so very blah! 😩 Snow in the mountains is great, but dumping rain is just not doing enough by running off saturated soil!

Back
Top Bottom