What did you do with your flock today?

I spent a couple hours with my little chickens, sprawled out in my camping recliner. I let them do their free ranging and waited until they all felt it was time to go back into the run where the roost.

At 8:58 PM the last one jumped back in through the run door.

It was fun watching them. A crow flew over, one didi the warning call and they all found shelter. It's cool that they have an innate awareness of how to react to flying predators.

Sounds like a lovely dream! My dad used to take us pigeon hunting at night in a friend's barn. It took us forever to rid that thing of pigeons. It was huge and had an upstairs with a bunch of rooms on one side and open space on the other. The upstairs area was on two sides of the building and the other two sides were just straight walls. Now you have me imagining a big barn with a skylight in the center, a loft that circles all four sides and made for living. The main floor would have a garden right in the center and animal spaces under the loft areas...

Think I need to go nap and dream too ❤️😂

That's too bad on the hawks. I wonder if there's any hawk deterrent that could help? I've read of a farmer using those air socks like these to deter predators. View attachment 3517914
Also those kind you see at businesses sometimes...the kind with a huge tube with arma and a face attached. A motor blows air inside and make them whip around and dance non stop. I was reading that they do a bang up job of keeping herds safe from predators and are gaining use on farms for that.

Your babies sound so adorable 😍
Oh, interesting! I wonder how my girls would do with something like that. They're pretty big scaredy cats lol.
Then again, would you want to risk diseases the wild birds may bring to your flock? I once found a poor bird whose foot got caught in the netting, and had died. I would go with the cross strings or heavier netting material that they can't get tangled in.
That's a valid concern. I would never be able to completely bird proof their area, at least not anytime soon, so unfortunately potential diseases is something I have to risk. If the wild birds will find their way in anyway, I'd rather not accidentally kill them in the process. : (

I went to the feed store yesterday and on the way I noticed a lot of people have grapes. It got me thinking, that might be doable as far as safety goes. I haven't figured out all the logistics yet, whether I'll grow them on arches or like what you'd see in a vineyard. But it would provide safety for my girls, let the wild birds in without getting hurt, and still look nicer than any netting. While the hawks could technically get through if they were determined enough, the ones in my area are fairly lazy and could easily hunt in the field right by my house.
For a while I was toying with the idea of planting more trees (and I still plan to do that) those take too long to get big enough. The idea of planting other things didn't really occur to me, lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I really appreciate it. I'm saving all the ideas in my notes, that way I have backup plans for if this doesn't work, or if I ever move somewhere it's more doable.

Finally got to see a wild Gila monster. It was trying to sun itself in the road by our house, so we used a broom to shoo it back to safety.
20230526_092025.jpg
20230526_092031.jpg

Today was chicken project finale day for my kids and the Poultry Project 4-H group! I’m exhausted but it was a good day! My 4 poultry kids did really well! Two of the kids (the not mine two) won ribbons in Novice Showmanship out of about 12 kids. They give out ribbons for 1-5th place and they got 4th and 5th. Proud coach! 😍 My son got a Participation ribbon for Primary Showmanship (no one ribbons) and Aria was in a class of 23 kids ages 9-13…so she did super well but no ribbon! The tiny dinos we got as Dylan’s show birds got a third, a first and the rooster boy got Best Modern Game bantam! That meant he went to Champion row and considered for Best in Show—but a bantam white leghorn got it—boo! Ruby is recovering from a rooster fight and Jager broke his sickle feathers…so they only placed second in their classes and the new boy George the bobtail got 3rd.

I never thought I’d say this…but I’m looking forward to the summer when things slow down and I get some weekends back! The past month I’ve seen my backyard gen pop flocks of chickens maybe 2-3 times total 😫 I miss them!

Anywho, so very tired but wanted to share 😍 Keep falling asleep typing haha!

Attachments

• 12F78704-BA51-4B6F-A824-C6A3678816DE.jpeg
    12F78704-BA51-4B6F-A824-C6A3678816DE.jpeg
    750.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 7673A8DF-5382-4C37-9BB5-9F9ECD0E2BDE.jpeg
    7673A8DF-5382-4C37-9BB5-9F9ECD0E2BDE.jpeg
    517.6 KB · Views: 2
  • E63CE6DB-C5A3-4500-BE06-6788ADD5AF04.jpeg
    E63CE6DB-C5A3-4500-BE06-6788ADD5AF04.jpeg
    803.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 5FA86982-4571-4D19-AE88-A9B5423D62F5.jpeg
    5FA86982-4571-4D19-AE88-A9B5423D62F5.jpeg
    587.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 8AE6C956-0CFF-4E64-A8D3-3FB455F55842.jpeg
    8AE6C956-0CFF-4E64-A8D3-3FB455F55842.jpeg
    412.1 KB · Views: 2
  • B88CEEAC-BE31-4BAC-89FF-A93D630FF75C.jpeg
    B88CEEAC-BE31-4BAC-89FF-A93D630FF75C.jpeg
    770.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 8F3C53B2-5E83-4A3A-A96B-A31310432908.jpeg
    8F3C53B2-5E83-4A3A-A96B-A31310432908.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 34AF65C2-1B02-4854-8F40-3C3862371A58.jpeg
    34AF65C2-1B02-4854-8F40-3C3862371A58.jpeg
    674.1 KB · Views: 2
I think chickens are way smarter than we give them credit for. In the past, the feral hens, I believe, have asked me to help their young. I firmly belive this from circumstance and behavior.
This eve, DH and I were washing vehicles and I noticed the big feral flock walking across the road to the yard across the street. Then one of the littles, about 2 months old by my guess, stopped and started walking towards me. I don't feed this flock. I had the hose and squirted towards it so it would get out of the road and run back and keep up with its flock. It did for a second but then started walking back towards me Again.
Some young girls were riding their bikes and stopped and picked it up but set it down because it had pox. I asked them to help me catch it, now it was scared, i would care for it. So they did and now it is in my hospital.
20230526_190330.jpg
20230526_190322.jpg
20230526_190305.jpg

Poor little guy. On vitamins, antibiotic and soft food. Got the puss cleaned out from its eye and flushed it and checked for bugs. Currently roosting on a branch I provided, calm as can be. Welp. The worst is over for it, I do believe.

Last edited:
Water bill has stayed the same. He knows less bout all that than I do...he's computer man as opposed to outdoor man lol. He did say he would help me rake it all out for composting and put down all new pine bark, shavings, etc. cause having twice as many babies as I've ever had I'm sure plays a part in it...even if it is only 13 bantams.
I couldn't have dug more than a couple inches - I thought when cleaning it all out for composting (couldn't find anything on BYC to give clear instructions) that's how to do it so as to start with fresh stuff then.
It has all been in place and covered almost 2 years now. It has to be spent and ready to be cleaned out? I mean even if it wasn't wet in areas. It is only like that where I dug and just below the area all in the center of the run.
Here's an older pic...not now. Funny thing is the red marked area is where i do have mounds i am composting on the outside of the run...i just do the lasagna method of.layering i dont stir or anything. Could that be adding the moisture? View attachment 3518679
What a pretty coop! 😍

Today was chicken project finale day for my kids and the Poultry Project 4-H group! I’m exhausted but it was a good day! My 4 poultry kids did really well! Two of the kids (the not mine two) won ribbons in Novice Showmanship out of about 12 kids. They give out ribbons for 1-5th place and they got 4th and 5th. Proud coach! 😍 My son got a Participation ribbon for Primary Showmanship (no one ribbons) and Aria was in a class of 23 kids ages 9-13…so she did super well but no ribbon! The tiny dinos we got as Dylan’s show birds got a third, a first and the rooster boy got Best Modern Game bantam! That meant he went to Champion row and considered for Best in Show—but a bantam white leghorn got it—boo! Ruby is recovering from a rooster fight and Jager broke his sickle feathers…so they only placed second in their classes and the new boy George the bobtail got 3rd.

I never thought I’d say this…but I’m looking forward to the summer when things slow down and I get some weekends back! The past month I’ve seen my backyard gen pop flocks of chickens maybe 2-3 times total 😫 I miss them!

Anywho, so very tired but wanted to share 😍 Keep falling asleep typing haha!
:clap:clap:clap:clapCongratulations on the success and also for the possibility off some down time! Time to recharge those batteries, I hope :ya

Back
Top Bottom