What did you do with your flock today?

I've never tried sharing a YouTube video...🤞 This works!

That's awesome!!! So glad u shared!

I personally think it is a bit early (14 weeks?) to deworm them unless they are showing signs. I do believe in deworming them pre POL. So 18-19 weeks, then winters when they slow lay and/or the peak of summer as needed. It really helps them out IMO. Give biotics and vits as need.

treated the girls with an ivermectin spot-on treatment (which I continue to do every 3 months).
asked about worming to rule worms out as a potential cause for the weight loss. Depending on the wormer used, not all species of worm will be destroyed anyway. For example, some wormers will kill round worm species but might not be effective on tapeworm.
I actually don't generally worm until the bird is 16 weeks old unless I think there's a worm issue. You can, if essential, worm from 6 weeks or so but I try to avoid it. I'd check all your chicks' breast bones as if it's a worm issue usually more than one bird is affected.
At this stage, I'd say it's most likely a feeding issue if there's no symtoms of illness (her position in the pecking order, bullied off the feed etc.) so I'd concentrate on trying to feed her more on her own. The chick starter is great for that, as it's nutrient dense and higher in protein. I'd make it into a mash for her with some treats mixed in. See how that goes for a week then check her weight. If she's not any heavier, you'll need to explore further.
So I've never seen signs of worms in 💩 before and I've really been checking each day since my precious Lizzie!
I've never dewormed my flock.
Should I?
Is this a practice yall do regularly?
If so, what do you use and how often?
Does it not make them resistant to the meds if they end up getting worms?
I use garlic, Oregano, ACV on a weekly basis as well as have DE ans FSL in the run and coop.

😍😍😍 does it get a clever coffee name since it’s a Java pea? 😁😁 Latte? Bean? 😁
Well...momma got the original name of Java 😁😂... We've been calling the dad Old Boy. But I love the coffee themed names so think dad just got named Barista. Not sure on the babies yet...I'll have to see which ones I'm keeping and which are going to Pete and get to know them. But I know one will be Pinon for my favorite coffee ❤️
Spent some time spoiling the chickens with summer fruit snacks, and the dog with comfy couch spots and air conditioning 😆 Kids did their chicken chores, we collected a whole clutch of eggs Fuzzy was hiding but thankfully not long enough! Phew, no more babies! I’m ready for a break!
Such happy, spoiled and beautiful babies!
That's awesome!!! So glad u shared!

So I've never seen signs of worms in 💩 before and I've really been checking each day since my precious Lizzie!
I've never dewormed my flock.
Should I?
Is this a practice yall do regularly?
If so, what do you use and how often?
Does it not make them resistant to the meds if they end up getting worms?
I use garlic, Oregano, ACV on a weekly basis as well as have DE ans FSL in the run and coop.
I only worm if I see something that makes me think it's needed. I'm a worry wort on medications though and believe less is more in most cases. So for me it's only if I have an ill chicken with worm signs in their poop. Wormings a rare thing here.

I opened up the world to the chickens early this morning, a little before 7AM. I let the cockerels out first, and they pretty much made a bee line to the pullets' run to look at them through the hardware cloth. LOL. A little later I let the girls out.

The neighborhood cat still has a pretty strong interest in the chickens. She's still eyeballing them, but I don't think she's a real threat. I chased her away, but she stopped behind the trailer to get a last look. IMG_1545.JPG IMG_1546.JPG

IMG_1606.JPG

I opened up the world to the chickens early this morning, a little before 7AM. I let the cockerels out first, and they pretty much made a bee line to the pullets' run to look at them through the hardware cloth. LOL. A little later I let the girls out.

The neighborhood cat still has a pretty strong interest in the chickens. She's still eyeballing them, but I don't think she's a real threat. I chased her away, but she stopped behind the trailer to get a last look.View attachment 3540146View attachment 3540147

View attachment 3540149
It shouldn't be much longer until your chickens teach kitty to respect them. Your birds look good together 😍

Well...momma got the original name of Java 😁😂... We've been calling the dad Old Boy. But I love the coffee themed names so think dad just got named Barista. Not sure on the babies yet...I'll have to see which ones I'm keeping and which are going to Pete and get to know them. But I know one will be Pinon for my favorite coffee ❤️
Such happy, spoiled and beautiful babies!
Hehe, I love it! :D There's a coffee called Pinon? Is it made from pinon tree nuts?

Hehe, I love it! :D There's a coffee called Pinon? Is it made from pinon tree nuts?
Yep. Hubby got me some from Trader Joes for Xmas one year and I just fell in love with it. I haven't seen it there again so finally gave up and order it online. It has a subtle, almost creamy nut flavor. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom